I bought a pony! Meet Lola

Pretty girl! Congratulations.

Historically and traditionally, Morgans have been medium-to-small horses. They are supposed to be Small But Mighty. There’s always been a range, but the tall ones you see now are the result of the show ring trend toward ever taller in every breed. I feel Morgans lose type when this happens.

Your mare is perfect.

7 Likes

I saw her ad online and fell in love with her too. So glad you got her! There’s one I really liked and am considering but he’s down on Long Island in Medford.

2 Likes

Agreed. There’s the common argument that riders are bigger and need a bigger horse, but Morgans are “well sprung” usually and can take up a lot of leg.

The recent park champion mare Carol Dawson was a little round thing, maybe 14.2, but had so much presence you’d forget it. (She’s now retired at the Morgan Horse museum in Maine, and I really want to go visit her.)

My older mare is about 15 hands. People of various sizes rode her over the years, and the only one who looked ridiculous was an assistant trainer who was 6’1" and had really long legs. She did a fine job, though.

I like Lola’s conformation and how she carries herself. She’s short-legged but still a nice looking mare.

4 Likes

Congrats! You look great on her!

And that neck!! WOWOOO! so pretty!

Congrats and I can’t wait to see all the pictures I’m hoping you share of the perfect golden Morgan!!!

Well, Lola and Feronia will have to battle it out for who is the more perfect golden Morgan. (Just kidding, because Feronia pulls no punches (kicks) when it comes to other horses. Lola, meanwhile, had the big black horse in the video right up her butt at one point, and didn’t even flick an ear.)

Almost 16 years ago, I started my first horse search. I knew I wanted a Morgan mare, but color was the furthest thing from my mind. And ended up with a palomino drama queen named Feronia.

This time around – I can assure you that if it had been a chestnut or black or bay mare with the same breeder and training, 45 miles away, I would have gone to look at her.

Somehow I keep ending up with the golden ones!

8 Likes

daughter was specific she wanted a Buckskin Morgan gelding, it took her a while to find him, but oh my he was really a nice horse

Prairie Hill Mulligan …helping me take some photos

21 Likes

Wire transfer went through, and pickup is tomorrow morning. I’m excited and nervous.

30 Likes

Congrats! I looked at her ads online too :wink: Glad I get to follow her here!

1 Like

Congratulations! She looks like my guy’s little sister.

24 Likes

She is gorgeous! Have a wonderful time with her. Hope to see you out on the trails or the beach. I’ll certainly know it’s you from a distance;)

3 Likes

Waiting for the shipper…

She’s smart! She’s a bit nosy, and made a beeline for my pocket that smells like treats. I know not to just push her nose away, because that can turn into a game. Read somewhere to push the nose away and hang onto it for a few seconds; this supposedly mimics what horses do when a horse gets too nosy.

5 reps of this, and she said “Ok” and went back to her haynet.

10 Likes

Lola’s at her new home. She “struck a pose” when she got off the trailer. Eating hay in a stall for now. I hung out with her a little but didn’t want to overdo it, and I was anxious.

Got our start on “turn your head away from me for treats.”

Sorry no photos!

14 Likes

You’ll make up for that later , won’t you? :blush:

1 Like

Of course I will. I was just a bit overwhelmed by everything suddenly being very … real.

I felt the same way about Feronia when she arrived. I’d purchased her several weeks before, and had to arrange shipping from Maryland to New Hampshire, just at the point when there were a lot of horses coming north for the spring/summer from FL, SC etc. She got the big pro shipper’s 18-wheeler, with several other horses (and was praised for being the best behaved of the lot – her arrival was delayed by several hours by one. stubborn. mare.) When I got the “we’re one hour away” call, I kind of panicked.

Lola rode solo on an ordinary slant trailer.

11 Likes

One photo from today, while she was waiting to unload. The barn trainer took it.

37 Likes

I love her! She’s like a little girl’s dream between the color and the hair!

5 Likes

What a lovely face! I’m so happy for you.

2 Likes

Congratulations!!! How exciting :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: (It is so difficult to remember to take photos when you’re fighting stress, anxiety, Oh God What Have I Done - so I think we all can understand and give you a grace period. As long as you realize there is interest accruing and more photos will settle the balance, ha.)

9 Likes