I bought a pony! Meet Lola

I did not try to bridle Lola today, but did try to give her fruit by the foot. She thinks it’s pony poison. Peppermints and carrots are yummy, though.

I didn’t have much time, so I groomed her, did a little work on “head down” etc.

3 Likes

You might try holding the bit and peppermint in the same hand and just letting her have the peppermint a few times. Eventually the bit goes in the mouth before the peppermint!

2 Likes

Smart pak has peppermint flavored bit wipes

All the yummy flavor without the sticky mess.

:horse:

I have not found a horse yet that would refuse Purina Outlast Treats

1 Like

Now, see, if you had simply looked the other way when there was [anonymous] talk of her being… ahem… “rehomed” while you happened to be out of town, you would not have this problem. I am just sayin’…

4 Likes

Not feeling so great about it all today. The trainer had to get help bridling her! She’s used to dealing with gigantic young green horses, so an under 14 hands pony shouldn’t be that hard, right?

I got her a new bit, exactly the same double jointed eggbutt with a “bean” in the middle, but in a smaller size that should be more comfortable, but she did not know that.

Lola’s definitely footsore and I think she’s telling us that. And I bet her teeth are bugging her. When I turned her out yesterday, she was flinching a little at my (empty) hands coming up to her face - but greatly appreciated having her ears and poll rubbed. Dentist comes 2 weeks from tomorrow.

She’s still a very sweet little horse.

4 Likes

Would Lola go in a bitless bridle? Even a rope halter with reins? At least until you get the vet out and maybe 2-4 weeks doing more ground work and head lowering work.

She is a beauty. Give her a little time.

Susan

5 Likes

I’ve heard Cavallos are pretty forgiving as to trim - I’ve got some coming in the mail for my footy horse. I have a whole thread on it somewhere with people giving pros and cons, but the cavallos are supposedly easy to put on (Velcro!). If you measure her feet you can at least see if they might work.

Seconding the bitless or halter idea. Personally I think a hackamore with shanks doesn’t have enough steering for the greenies but a side pull does wonders. That or a couple weeks of groundwork!

She’s gorgeous. You got this.

Yes, evasions like this can persist long after the original cause has been resolved. That’s one of the reasons that it is so hard to distinguish pain issues from behavioral issues. I’ve got a number of tricks for bridling.

My usual is to cross tie, and take the halter off and clip or buckle it around the horse’s throatlatch while the halter is still on the cross ties. It doesn’t take any pressure at all on the throatlatch from the crosstied halter for the horse to decide to be still. When you’ve got one that backs up away from the bit, sometimes tying them in the stall with their butt in the corner, still with the halter around their neck is useful.

With baby horses, I often unbuckle one side of the bit, and put the bridle on with the bit dangling. It seems easier to get in that way so there is no pressure on the poll. After the bridle is on, you can put the bit in by opening the horse’s mouth at the corner. The alternative is to lengthen the cheek pieces all the way down, then put them back up when the bit is in. With both of these methods, molasses helps to keep them sucking the bit while it is secured. Once the bit is in, I give them a sugar cube, and then gradually back off the molasses until the horse is just hurrying to take the bit to get the sugar cube.

Finally, step stool when necessary, such as when the horse puts his nose straight up in the air.

I suspect she would. I have Feronia’s little S hackamore at the barn and may give it a try if I can get it to fit Lola. This would be temporary. Feronia greatly preferred the hackamore to a bit.

3 Likes

I was wondering about a little S. She sure is cute and I’m sure you’ll work this out!

With my tall horse who was a passive resister and just held his head up, I worked with him with a “war bridle” I made of thin clothesline rope. It was basically loops over nose and poll (there were several versions taught to me by a 4H Agent) He learned that poll pressure was relieved by dropping his head. Then I could put it on and keep his head down while I bridled. It was easy to slip that out from under the bridle.

How is she to halter? How is she to just place a bit in her mouth?(no bridle) Perhaps if you can figure out exactly where her objection is, you can work on that separately.

ETA: Looks like war bridle now is something different. What I would make was more like was more like the anti-pullback halters. Simplest was a no-slip loop in one end of the rope. That hangs down the left side while rope goes over poll, around nose and the end up through the loop.

Well, trainer and I have concluded that this being hard to bridle isn’t new. I rather suspect the seller’s trainer was careful to not let me find this out. The issue really is just the bit. Any other thing we put on her head, once she realizes there’s no bit, she just sticks her nose in it, NBD. Trainer’s mom got a ways with clicker training today and we will work on that more over the weekend. I’m going to ask the trainer to try the hackamore on her tomorrow.

So… Lola is a bit more “nervy” than I expected. (Was she drugged? I’ll never know; the vet pulled blood but it was 10 days after my second trial ride.) Definitely wants a job and wants to move. Loves attention and loves being told she’s a good girl. She starts a ride a bit tense but when she understands what is wanted (generally, simmer down and move from inside leg to outside rein), is really lovely. There’s going to be some retraining and puzzle solving here. For all of this, she seems very safe. If she’s unsure, she’ll often just stop - and not a slam on the brakes stop.

I might be looking for her own bridle. Pony size, dark brown, prefer no fancy stitching, and just a plain noseband (padded is fine) and no built in flash. Nice heavy leather - the current bridle is, as I’ve said, from Jerry’s Harness - but most of the straps are on the tightest hole. Any suggestions?

2 Likes

New place, new owner and trainer. Give her time to settle down. She has to figure out her new routine and job.

She still sounds like she’s a great match with a little work from your trainer.

16 Likes

It’s a rare horse that can be rock solid when their whole world is turned upside down. I wouldn’t worry about it - she sounds like a very good girl. The ones who thrive on praise and want to do the right thing are so fun!

She probably had her teeth banged with the bit, among other things. If you have a soft happy mouth or leather one lying around you can use that to practice putting the bit in and feeding a treat, letting her wear it, and taking it off. Break it down to even smaller steps, but you get the idea. Also if she hasn’t had her teeth done, get that set up too.

You’ve got this, I think she’s going to be a little star!

14 Likes

There’s a nice selection here.

https://justforponies.com/tack/pony-bridles/cob-bridles/

1 Like

Side note: someone taught her to park out, Morgan show horse style, when she hears a peppermint wrapper crinkle. It’s absolutely adorable.

ETA: I will try to get a photo. But imagine her stepping forward with the front legs, evening out all legs so she’s standing parked-square, neck and head up, ears pricked. Never mind that she’d be at least 6 inches shorter than any other entry in an in-hand class!

22 Likes

You’ll be the person who has to dismount on the trail to get something. Some people teach horses to park out just so it’s easier to get on!

8 Likes

my wife started using our kids show western pleasure Morgan horse in competitive trail, there are Pulse and Respiration checks (P&Rs) on each leg of a competition. The first P&R horse thinks this must be the championship line up since her saddle was pulled, she squares up head up ears forward…EVERY one was looking at her asking what is she doing? Oh she thinks this is line up for another win. (She learned quickly by watching the other professional trail horses to drop her head to help in recovery and some how learned to hold her breath, before long she was winning her class)

(This mare could hear a peppermint being unwrapped from at least 1,000 feet)

14 Likes

Photo from today. She’s a friendly thing.

Clicker training works - if one is smart about timing and never, ever reinforces nosiness. I had a lesson from an expert today.

Blanket shopping is a PITA and I wish I’d started sooner. She might have to be a little chilly this week, but she has a nice shed.

25 Likes