Unlimited access >

I BOUGHT MYSELF A HORSE!!!!!!!! YIPPEEE!!!

After a month of negotiations and trials I purchased myself a horse!!! I am so excited as I haven’t shown or really ridden for over 20 years! His name is “Elliot” and he is 16hh by my all time favourite stallion STARMAN our of a TB mare, he is 5 years olde and the biggest, slowest, non spooky baby in the world. In fact after having Jack Russells for 30 plus years he is just like a huge JRT! In the week he has been at our stable, he has chewed up a hose, dug up an electric cord buried 2 feet under,and ripped a huge box off the wall, but he has such great character. He jumps anything put in front of him with ease,(no I am not going to over jump him, we are talking about 48 year old muscles and bones here. Slow and easy is my motto). He got a second in his first horse show in Bend, Oregon, (I think it is called the High Desert Classic). When I get some good photos I will put them on here.

Congratulations! He sounds like a fun one just to have around. Please post the pictures soon.

OH SPUNKY!!!
I would love to chat with your friend!! My Elliott is the Starman baby she had!!!
Thank you for such great info.
I know where Friar Wood is, and he is lovely.
Elliott will be so happy to learn he has such great relatives on his dam side as well as his sires!

Elliot is in BIG trouble now!!!
He not only ripped the box with the hot boxes in it off the wall again.
He unplugged them and then totally chewed them up!!!
The wires everything!!!
I have no idea where the plug parts are there are just these two chewed up hot wire boxes with these chewed off wires hanging out of them.
My trainer is about to kick him out!!! haha
I bought him one of those balls, and he likes the dog chew toys I have brought him, but he is so michevious.
Any suggestions?

He looks nothing like the Starman colt I had(that is not a bad thing). John’s head was huge and he had a little tiny mouth He could jump huge though.

I just realized that Walk of Fame was AA 51 and Over WEF Circuit Champion!!!
Then in the April 13, 2001 COTH issue there is a lovely photo of him and a blurb about him being a son of Starman!!!
Woohoo Starman!!

Congratulations! we are in the process of buying a horse with an interesting personality as well. (his owners explain it as ADD) At shows when his stall ball doesn’t come to the show he will drink his water until he has something to do, he is consistently peeing. Is he a wacked horse or is this something the vet should know? if he has a toy he won’t drink all his water in one sitting. (he will down two buckets at home while waiting his turn to go out when his stall ball is visiting his half brother)

Bumpkin, since you referred to the High Desert Classic in Bend, my old stomping grounds, I went to your bio and your website. Your “puppies” look great!

Since you are from Redmond, do you remember C & M Farms, Mike and Cathy Crooks? No longer a couple I hear. I remember their two dogs Daisy and Trooper? I thought they were the greatest little JRT’s.

So did your horse come from Oregon or Washington? I used to know some of those barns. I have been transplanted to the desert so any news is like old home week.

Sounds like you have found one of those great personalities in horseflesh!!!

I know how that goes… But mine can’t get ahold of what your boy is. He prefers to drink ALL his water when he has nothing better to do, he will down two buckets in 5minutes (then start coughing because he drank to fast) its annoying at shows when you have to keep bringing him back to his stall to make a potty before you go in the ring…

He plays with a stall ball, but genious popped it (grabbed the handle with his mouth, while holding it down with his foot and pulled…) it stayed flated till he had to lay on top of it. I got it back to the circular shape, then he stepped on it and held it down till it went flat again… just make rubber walls, and a room full of stall balls… haha j/j I dunno what to tell you but I deal with the same thing…

Its just a sign of higher intelligence… Mabye they need some ridilin.

Once I got past the longing looks at the cedar trees in the background …I love your new horsie!! What a kind eye.

And he is so well clipped and looks so snuggy in his rug.

So fun to read in the Chronicle about another successful show hunter relative of the wonderful Eliot… very cool!!!

After a month of negotiations and trials I purchased myself a horse!!! I am so excited as I haven’t shown or really ridden for over 20 years! His name is “Elliot” and he is 16hh by my all time favourite stallion STARMAN our of a TB mare, he is 5 years olde and the biggest, slowest, non spooky baby in the world. In fact after having Jack Russells for 30 plus years he is just like a huge JRT! In the week he has been at our stable, he has chewed up a hose, dug up an electric cord buried 2 feet under,and ripped a huge box off the wall, but he has such great character. He jumps anything put in front of him with ease,(no I am not going to over jump him, we are talking about 48 year old muscles and bones here. Slow and easy is my motto). He got a second in his first horse show in Bend, Oregon, (I think it is called the High Desert Classic). When I get some good photos I will put them on here.

Congrats all around - what a wonderful thing it is to own a horse…!

Of course I recall Mike and Cathie, I use to feel like Mike’s big sister when he was younger!! I rode, “Bumpkin” at Evergreen for several years under Gary Henley.
Really odd too because Elliott was stabled at Cathie’s when I bought him! Small world.

Elliott is Washington Bred. Judy Greer of Jolly Troll Farms bred him. She leased “Oh Louise”. The mare she had originally bred to Starman didn’t take so had to lease a mare quick before she lost the stud fee.

I remember Trooper, never met Daisy.
I got my first JRT, from Phyllis Crooks at Evergreen back in 1968 I think it was.

Are you from Oregon or Washington?
Dublin use to show in the Northwest.

Elliott is definately Mr. Personality Plus. He is still getting in trouble daily and teaching the stable help how helpful a curious and destructive young horse can be.

Hmmm, two things maybe to keep him occupied – one of those horse passifier things that you screw to the corner of the stall and has rotating parts that they can spin around, or one of those feed drums with little holes in it so you put the grain in but the horse has to roll it around to get the food to fall out. (They’re both in the new Dover catalog on p. 98)

Or, maybe a big screen TV and a couple books of crossword puzzles.

Bumpkin- Thats great! I’m still looking for a horse. . .When will I ever find one? Well Im going to look at two this week! Wish me luck!

My trainers mother met someone yesterday at the Evergreen Classic who has a Starman gelding also!
She is going to the Autumn Classic with him, so I will have to get a photo of the two brothers, kinda brothers I know.
Also Elliot’s other brother, same dam, is showing today, and perhaps will be at the Autumn Classic also
I hope so.

YEAH Bumpkin!!!That is soooo awesome!!! I am totally thrilled for you! He sounds just PERFECT!!!

Get some pictures ASAP!!! We’re dying here!

Congrats! hope to see some pics soon. many of us are dieing here to see.

Oh WTF you are so kind!!!
I am so grateful to Spunky for seeing my messages here and relaying them to you.
I would love dear Elliott no matter what.
But all this new news is so AWESOME!!
He has come to me at a time when I really needed him and I hope to cherish him for many years.
I look forward to meeting his little sister.