Unlimited access >

I BOUGHT MYSELF A HORSE!!!!!!!! YIPPEEE!!!

I am going to try and find one of those spinner things locally today.
His ball is hanging in his stall, but I am moving it outside and hanging it from the cedar tree in his paddock.

Congratulations Bumpkin! Elliot looks like a keeper, what a beautiful eye, though I do detect a hint of the devil in it! Please keep us informed of his exploits/damage report. I think he really wants a flat screen TV/computer monitor in his stall and a hoof friendly keyboard.

Congrats again, and enjoy him in the many years to come.

I thought my favourite subject, Elliot, thread was deleted

Was I surprised to find it still around, sighhhhh

Congrats Bumpkin! He sounds great! Where did you find him? I LOVED Starman and have hardly heard anything at all about his offspring.

Guess I don’t have to ask what you’ll be doing over the weekend eh? You’ll be at the barn the whole time no doubt!

Oh my goodness Bumpkin, if he’s just like a Jack Russell, does that mean he nips at your heels and chases chickens? (Ah say, that’s a joke, son, a joke Ah say.)

Congratulations! Starman is a great stallion, sounds like you’ve got a great boy there.

Bumpkin, I left Oregon in '84. The last year I did anything constructive showing wise. I lived in Eugene, and rode on a very local level. Some Mt Hood shows, some little stuff at Sunwood, the usual Eugene shows back then. My last summer in '84 I went to Rose City Eq Festiveal and of course Country Classic, when it was the Opera benefit and did well in the novice ring.

My big claim to fame was at Country Classic a 2nd, 3rd and 4th from Dianna Davis in the Novice & AA divisions out of 40 or 50 horses per division. Not bad for my “backyard” Clownin horse.

Hey on a current note, I too have found a match made in heaven in my 5yr TB gelding. He exudes personality and is such a trier. It took awhile to find each other, but it too as been said we were meant to be. I am going to show him under the name Life Is Good. That is when I ever get inspired enough to show again. In the mean time we are learning something new together every day.

PS. Did you see where Tommy Brawley was 3rd in his age group at Capital Challenge. I used to do some lessons with his Grandmother, Judy, way back when. Always admired that family for their incredible style and insistance on correctness! Looks like it is being handed down. Besides ol’ Bob sure did improve the scenery at the horse shows. Be still my heart.

[This message has been edited by Cactuskate (edited 10-02-2000).]

Sounds like your guy needs HOURS of recess in the playyard. Any available turnout? In the NW that can be a stretch in the fall and winter.

Bumpkin and Cactuskate: after reading these posts I just had to comment on the Brawleys. I remember Bob WAY back when he was around 12 or 14 and Judy had her training stable at the same barn where my western trainers were. I was around 17 at the time. He was handsome even then, but a real prankster – always driving all of us nuts with his jokes and games. His sister Debbie rode, too, but I don’t think she rides anymore. I always admired Judy Brawley and her adherence to the “basics” much like George Morris advocates. She would never let anyone even think about jumping until they could win an Eq class on the flat. I clinic’d with Bob two winters ago and came away with the same basic principles – learned a lot and felt it was well worth the money. I only wish the Brawleys weren’t all the way down in Wilsonville, OR. I’d have both my horses with them in a heartbeat! Bob is such a fantastic rider and they NEVER ever push a horse or resort to drugs to keep a horse going. I admire them so much…

Aww Bumpkin, I wanna see a picture!

“Celebrate we will, 'Cause life is short but sweet for certain” ~Dave Matthews
“Better a live chicken than a dead or hurt duck” ~Judy Richter, Pony Talk

You must be so happy! He sounds like a great horse. I think Starman is gorgeous, your boy must be really nice. Congratulations, best of luck with your new aquistion.

HAHA Portia he is just like a JRT!!! if I don’t watch my reins they are in his mouth, and he does try to bite my toes when I am sitting on him.
Yesterday he was entertained with a broom one of the girls left outside his paddock and had a fun time rearranging the bristles and handle.
I would love to hear if anyone knows if there are any video tapes out there of the 88 Olympics or of Starman?
I found a great article in an old SPUR on Anne Kursinski that told about how she found Starman in Germany and his name was Calypso. That makes sense as his sires name is Carrera I believe and follows the use of “C”

Yes those Brawley boys, Billy and Bobby were cuties. Alas too young for me though:-( haha.
They use to have a stable right down the street from where I live now.
It was called Greenbriar.

Hey Bumpkin! Sounds like things are going well with Elliot! Have you chosen a show name for him? Although I rather like Elliot makes me think of the little boy from E.T.

I agree with Portia about using the feed balls - I’ve used one with my SF gelding who likes to be occupied and its been a real treat for him! (aside from the treats that fall out that is!) He’ll play with it on and off for hours. The only real trick to it, like the horseballs, is to limit the length of time you give it to them to play with, so it doesn’t become blase.

Please continue to keep us updated!

Bumpkin! How lovely Elliott is! He does look kind. When I saw the caption read “flying rat” I thought I was going to see a JR training lure on a lunge whip LOL!

OMGosh! I thought you had bought a new horse! Wow, neat to see this old thread!

Big Things Ahead!!

You know how excited I am for you!!! Be sure and e-mail with all the details; I’m typing this on hubby’s laptop as AT&T cable is STILL not up and running on the other computer…grrr! Hopefully sometime tonight I’ll be back online.

Congratulations on getting elliOTT - wish I didn’t have to wait until the July road trip to Spruce Meadows to meet him!

Bumpkin, it’s been a long time comming, and you deserve a horse that nice! Congratulations, and PLEASE keep us up to date on the progress between the two of you, but more importantly, keep us up on Eliot’s escapades with inanimate and animate objects!
I think you’re going to be a perfect “couple”!

WTF & Bumpkin, so glad that you have met!! Small world isn’t it??

Leslie, we’d love to have Woody!! Talk to you soon

Congratulations to Betty Oare and “Ransom”, (Rock), they got a 2nd at Harrisburg today in A/O 35 and over.

Bumpkin, Elliott is perfectly darling (of course, just as you said)!

But one question – Halloween Rat? I’m familiar with witches and goblins and even the Great Pumpkin, but is the Halloween Rat a tradition I’ve somehow missed over my many years?