Unlimited access >

I don't know a lot about training horses but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIjDkqkNXFw

What the actual heck? I think she’s trying to teach him to back up, but at the point where she just started smacking him on the face, I got a little confused. I once met a horse who had been trained using the Parelli method and she was truly awful- misbehaved and angry. Now I know why.

Also, I’ve never had a one-eyed horse but smacking him on his blind side seems like a BAD idea and GOOD way to get him to be even jumpier.

This hideous video made the rounds awhile ago. Made me want to wring LP’s neck.

What the ever loving heck. I made it about a minute.

Yep this has been on here before. Horrible. That poor horse is so confused. When are these people going to realize that one method doesn’t work for all horses. Answer, never because people just keep buying their crap. What happened to the old way of telling your horse to backhand they listen. Or even a tap on the chest. Always works for me, i guess training that isn’t as exciting as watching a poor confused horse misbehave so they can show you how bad the horse is and how great the pps are.

Just to add, it’s like taking non horse people to medevial times lol. They are amazing at how trained the horses are and how they just stand still. Lol. Ummm, yea my horse does that also. Even when they do the in hand passage etc that is not correct by no means non horse people think it’s amazing while I sit back and think nope thats not right and man that horse looks ticked off lol. I guess people that are new to horses or just have no clue look at this and think wow the horse listened maybe I need to try that.

That is one of the worst videos I have ever seen. Actually, what is happening is a very good way to get the horse to start charging the person on the lead. If you notice a short way through, the horse actually does start to come at the handler rather than away from the handler. Depending on the horse’s personality, the next reaction just might be that the horse runs over the handler. In all likelihood, the handler at that point will then accelerate the aggression. Even the fashion in which the horse is moving backwards is wrong. You never want the horse to be backing up with the head and neck thrown up in the air like that.

Oh god that poor animal.

Some people shouldn’t be allowed to train a stick horse let alone that nice boy.

First of all let me make it clear that I don’t care for the Parellis (or any of the popular “natural horsemanship” folks), nor do I think the method in the video is very effective.
That said, the horse is completely ignoring her for the most part, and that’s the reason she is “getting loud” with her actions/cues. He gives her a fleeting second of attention when she’s really getting “loud” and then he is right back focused on his surroundings. He looks like he’s a bit bullish and his lack of regard for the human is dangerous. There has to be some recognition by the horse that you (the person) are there and in charge. In fact, the horse will be much more at ease if he can rely on a “leader” so he doesn’t have to fret. But this may be a horse with a dominant disposition, so he thinks he’s in charge and therefore must be attentive to potential dangers around him.
I had a horse that was never “present” with me. He looked past me instead of at me and it was a constant battle to get and retain his attention. He had no regard for the person handling him, and had no problem walking over, dragging, or pushing around his handler if he felt something else was more important. It’s very dangerous for horses to be like this. Usually they can be taught to accept people as leaders when they are babies, but some either don’t get that lesson or are too strong-willed to heed it.

So I understand WHY she’s getting after the horse. I’m not sure the horse has a clue though, and different methods might work better to gain his attention and respect. I imagine he was being a real buster to earn this type of lesson. Hopefully someone gets through to him.

[QUOTE=RhythmNCruise;7215257]
First of all let me make it clear that I don’t care for the Parellis (or any of the popular “natural horsemanship” folks), nor do I think the method in the video is very effective.
That said, the horse is completely ignoring her for the most part, and that’s the reason she is “getting loud” with her actions/cues. He gives her a fleeting second of attention when she’s really getting “loud” and then he is right back focused on his surroundings. He looks like he’s a bit bullish and his lack of regard for the human is dangerous. There has to be some recognition by the horse that you (the person) are there and in charge. In fact, the horse will be much more at ease if he can rely on a “leader” so he doesn’t have to fret. But this may be a horse with a dominant disposition, so he thinks he’s in charge and therefore must be attentive to potential dangers around him.
I had a horse that was never “present” with me. He looked past me instead of at me and it was a constant battle to get and retain his attention. He had no regard for the person handling him, and had no problem walking over, dragging, or pushing around his handler if he felt something else was more important. It’s very dangerous for horses to be like this. Usually they can be taught to accept people as leaders when they are babies, but some either don’t get that lesson or are too strong-willed to heed it.

So I understand WHY she’s getting after the horse. I’m not sure the horse has a clue though, and different methods might work better to gain his attention and respect. I imagine he was being a real buster to earn this type of lesson. Hopefully someone gets through to him.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, what you said. The things that really disgust me about the video, is that Linda Parelli is just really not a very good hand.

So, just to clarify; this video is a clip of Linda in a training video she sells for money? As an example of correct training?

Also, ya know, I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. The voice is one of the aids and is the gentlest of them. It’s ok to teach a horse to back by cluing them in with the word “back” and rewarding them with a word like “yess” or “nice-sss” or whatever. You can eliminate that later if that suits your discipline once your horse understands your other cues (like shaking a lead rope in his face for days, for example).

Maybe, for some, it is time for a new Parelli trainwreck, but, please, can we have a new topic. This one has been d.o.n.e.

So I understand WHY she’s getting after the horse. I’m not sure the horse has a clue though, and different methods might work better to gain his attention and respect.[/QUOTE]

The horse is blind (missing an eye) on his left side. Just sayin’

I imagine he was being a real buster to earn this type of lesson. Hopefully someone gets through to him.

Hopefully someone rescued him.

[QUOTE=Foxtrot’s;7215857]
Maybe, for some, it is time for a new Parelli trainwreck, but, please, can we have a new topic. This one has been d.o.n.e.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, new to the forum and somewhat new to the “world” of horses. Had them in my backyard my whole life but just recently started really doing anything other than trail riding. Hadn’t seen this before or realized it was such a discussed topic.

To the point - the guy and the trainer are f*cking aholes.

So I understand WHY she’s getting after the horse. I’m not sure the horse has a clue though, and different methods might work better to gain his attention and respect. I imagine he was being a real buster to earn this type of lesson. Hopefully someone gets through to him.[/QUOTE]

Why put a one eyed horse (or any horse) in a position where his attention is easily distracted (other horses making circles) and he can get unnecessarily excited? When I am working with a horse I start in a quiet, calm environment before I introduce him to a lot outside stimulus. I make a point to avoid a need for “loud”. JMHO

Thank you for confirming that the horse does not have a left eye. I made it thru about two minutes of the video trying to make sure I was seeing that. IMHO, waaaay too many things going wrong for any horse to pay attention, much less one who has sight in only one eye:(

Just a passing thought: why the flapping rope and the whip and the stress when a quiet word and a hand on the chest will teach the horse the right thing in a fraction of the time? Seems like a lot of effort for a very negative result.

The worst problem with that video is that she obviously has no ‘feel’.

She misses opportunities to reward/release the pressure so the horse could have a chance understand what she wants. Because she misses these opportunities, she merely confuses the horse and fails at even her own crass method of training.

A disgusting display of ignorance.