I have a ?

Ok I have a learning disabilty and so I was wondering can I do the paraoympics becuase I looked on the site and I couldnt find what class I would be in and my trainer’s dautgher said no that I couldnt do it.

That competition is for people with physical disabilities. The Special Olympics is what you may be eligible for.

I already am doing specail olympic bowling as of 4 weeks ago.

There is always Hope

Tiffany,

There are some classifications in para that are towards the very end of the document that might work for you. I don’t know enough yet to pass on the name of someone who knows classifications well. It is much more complex than I originally thought from looking at the paperwork. I hope to go to the Clinic in Maine the end of Oct. and Hope Hand will be speaking about it. If you want to pm me, I will ask for you.

Can you? That would be great!!

Here is the info on Special Olympics for equestrian sports:
http://media.specialolympics.org/soi/files/sports/equestrian.pdf

Unfortunately, as of now, an intellectual disability on its own does NOT qualify you to compete in para-equestrian.
From the bottom of pg. 45 of the classification manual:

“(The para eq. committee) appreciate that an intellectual impairment is a handicap to a dressage test, but we have to abide by the International Paralympic Committee rules to be accepted as a paralympic sport for Beijing 2008 and London 2012.”

Hey, I have a question: I am legally blind, without my contacts…I can see just fine with them in…could I participate in the paraolympics without them in?

Just a hypothetical question…not sure if I would feel good about doing that

Look at the link in the post above and search for “blind” or “sight”

Tiff, I thought you also had CP?? Would that qualify you for para?

Im not sure.

How would you not know if you have CP!

[QUOTE=mustangtrailrider;4704889]
How would you not know if you have CP![/QUOTE]
uhhh…I think she meant she wasn’t sure if it qualified her.

I would think that CP would be a qualifier for sure.

Probably, but it seemed to me that she wasn’t sure if she had CP! I would automatically assume that someone with CP would qualify for the Para Olympics!

[QUOTE=mustangtrailrider;4709086]
Probably, but it seemed to me that she wasn’t sure if she had CP! I would automatically assume that someone with CP would qualify for the Para Olympics![/QUOTE]

That would be concerning…:sadsmile:

[QUOTE=shanky;4701312]
Tiff, I thought you also had CP?? Would that qualify you for para?[/QUOTE]

This was the original question…my assumption is that she answered the second question which was regarding the para olympics. I think the persona sking the question is a barn mate (??) of hers. I could be wrong but I thought she had a barn ate or someone who knew her who also posted here.

doesn’t matter to me which question she was actually answering but it seems like Tiffany! sort of gets very subtly picked on by a few people here. That kind of pisses me off a bit.

Silk, are you referring to me? If so, why does my asking piss YOU off?

I was confused by her NOT knowing which “disability” she has. I was simply asking for clarification! Either she does NOT know, or she is trying to use her “disability” in other areas!

Either way, I am just looking for clarification…that’s all!

No, not necessarily you. I guess I just feel a bit protective over some of the posters. On another thread there have been a few snarky responses to Tiffany!'s posts.

Thanks!!

I dont think I woud Quilfy for the para olympics as my trainer’s daughter put it.
I just have a learning disabilty and mild CP but that not enough.