Unlimited access >

I know you are probably sick of this trailer stuff but... I found the 'one'!! pics included!

1994 Circle J Thoroughbred. Spring assisted ramp,self enclosed, full escape doors, removable storm doors, extra Heavy Duty hitch, lic 2002.

It has hardly been used. The owner died shortly after buying it and his family is just getting around to selling it. It is 7’3" tall with a composite roof. 6’10" chest to tail. 2’3" chest to nose. 2’8" wide from pad to pad. This is the one with no tack area, it just has a chest bar and a hanging feed bag.

It is only an hour away so I am going to look at it tomorrow afternoon. What do you guys think about the size and everything? I was really hopeing for 7’6" tall but at least it is close.

[This message was edited by Chanda on Nov. 03, 2001 at 06:37 PM.]

That is a great sounding trailer. Do not fiddle around on that one. 7’3" is admirable height. The 7’6"'s are harder to come by out west and I would not hold out for one, considering your whole situation, budget included.

Merry did just buy a Circle J, can’t remember the model. Barbara has them on her lot too. I looked at one, it is well made for the dollar. They have been around for a number of years.

The next picture we want to see is of your and Chase’s head sticking out of his new ride!!

“The older I get, the better I used to be, but who the heck cares!”

They accepted my offer of $4000!!! Yay, the trailer is mine and you guys never have to hear me whinning ever again. I am just getting the plug and brake box on Monday and then heading back up there to pick it up. I am so beyond excited!!! (Ok ok, remain calm.) Yayyyyyyyyyyy!!

Peggy, yes it is just like that, it seems like it will be really easy to use. I think it will be perfect for me and Chase. Now I have to learn how to back the darn thing up. I haven’t driven a trailer in over 10 years. I think I will head to a big parking lot.

Yayyyyyyy!
Seriously, thank you guys for all of your help. I couldn’t have done it without you!! THANK YOU!!

Congrats! Put Chase in there and just take him for a ride! When I got my new trailer, I put my boy on it and drove him around for a half hour “test flight” just to see how it pulled loaded. I “primed” it first with some of his own manure. He was a bit hesitant until he caught a whiff of “himself”, and loaded right up. Guess he figured, “Well dang, I don’t remember, but I must have been here before, 'cause there’s my poop!” Post pics of Chase in his purdy new ride!

Chanda - the Europe trip is off for now. Cris should be around next weekend. Turning around at the barn might be a chore. If it were me, I’d unload and park at the bottom of the hill at the end of the street. Then you don’t have to back up at all!

I have a 1989 Circle J Mark IV w/aluminum skin and it’s been great for me. I have never measured it, but it is on the smaller side. Cypress is not only tall (almost 17hh I think) but long (just ask dmj, she’s met Cypress), and she fits in it. It’s the kind with the tack compartment in the front, small escape doors on each side, and small ramp in back. I bought it when it was 4 years old, it was kept in great condition (the old owner kept it covered) and I paid $4000. I’ve only had to do minor repairs in the 8 years I’ve owned it.

YEAH!!! Congrats! Now you guys can show off your hard work at a show!!! That is when you have recovered from this purchase! We’d love to see pics of Chase in his new wheels!

~Christina~
“Chaos is what killed the dinosaurs, Darling!”
JD;Heathers
Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.

The best piece of advice I’ve gotten for backing trailers (after trying to back the D*** thing out of a driveway and not run over any mailboxes for an hour) was to put your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel & move your hand the direction you want to trailer to go. Works a treat, and you don’t have to think about turning your wheels in the opposite direction you want to go & all that frustrating stuff…

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Giddyup2:
Yes - I love those butt or dutch doors in the back. I had a trailer with those and they were great! You can leave the ramp down for air and light but the horse(s) won’t be tempted to back up and/or bust the butt ropes/bars. A friend has one and her tempermental youngster sometimes kicks in the trailer if left inside. He kicks at air and now no longer kicks at all!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have those same type of doors on my Circle J trailer. One time I had my old horse loaded, and was trying to load my friend’s mare, when she pulled back and went running off. My horse got so pissy about the whole situation that he let out a HUGE kick…and nailed the door! He left a big bow in it (and this is a steel door) that to this day reminds me of that episode everytime I go to shut those doors!

that sounds like a great one-did you happen to see the new Practical Horseman? It has a whole article on what to look for in a used trailer-it might help you. It sounds great, there are tons of circle J’s around, seem to be good trailers, and this one sounds unique but well taken care of-gho for it-and BTW, I LIKE spending other people’s money, you just keep asking, ok? It’s your checkbook

“If you haven’t gotten where you’re going,you probably aren’t there yet.”-George Carlin

She is off and goin’ now. Congratulations on your new found freedom. Regarding the backing thing, I try to avoid backing with horses in the trailer at all costs. But the parking lot is an excellent idea.

Pictures of Chase in his new ride when available please.

“The older I get, the better I used to be, but who the heck cares!”

Chef, I thought Cris was going to Europe or something??? I should definitely come down for a lesson if she is around. I think I need to learn how to back up first, it didn’t look to easy to get around up there. How is the parking situation for turning around?

LAZ, I have heard the same thing about the bottom of the stearing wheel. I will just head to a big parking lot and give it a try. I haven’t driven a trailer in at least 10 years and I wasn’t that good at backing up then! Hehe

I just went to my best friends bridal shower and told her about the trailer, she was so excited. She wants me to come down and pick up her horse and bring her up to the ranch for the weekend. She is almost as excited and I am!!

I’m getting to this thread a bit late. But congratulations Chanda! You looked long and hard for this trailer! Good for you for getting such a good one at your price!

1994 Circle J Thoroughbred. Spring assisted ramp,self enclosed, full escape doors, removable storm doors, extra Heavy Duty hitch, lic 2002.

It has hardly been used. The owner died shortly after buying it and his family is just getting around to selling it. It is 7’3" tall with a composite roof. 6’10" chest to tail. 2’3" chest to nose. 2’8" wide from pad to pad. This is the one with no tack area, it just has a chest bar and a hanging feed bag.

It is only an hour away so I am going to look at it tomorrow afternoon. What do you guys think about the size and everything? I was really hopeing for 7’6" tall but at least it is close.

[This message was edited by Chanda on Nov. 03, 2001 at 06:37 PM.]

It is perfect. I can not tell that it has been used AT ALL. No rust, good size, everything looks brand new, perfect floors. It has a tiny little manger at the front with a door for a bit of storage. It has moveable chest bars with hanging square feed bags, a full removable divider, pads and mats everyhere and a spare tire.
Here are the pics, lets hope they except my offer!

Hooray!! for Chanda!!!

~Bucksnort~
“Work like you don’t need the money, love like you’ve never been hurt and dance like no one is watching.”

Congrats, Chanda!

The trailer looks awesome - I knew you’d find “the one” eventually!

We should all start calling you ryan and being mean to you

just kidding-- ryan, please do not hate me… more that is. :x

LOL and, since I know nothing about trailers, I wont say anything about this topic.

And the back

Very nice Chanda!

I especially like the little “butt doors” I haven’t seen those before.

Now if anyone sees something like this in about a year let me know. Gotta pay off one car, and then I get to go truck and trailer shopping!