Unlimited access >

I lost my Chrissy tonight

The subject line says it all. This afternoon, due to a profoundly dumb move by the stable manager, Chrissy was kicked in the stifle by a nasty mare. Her tibia was shattered beyond repair. I have just returned with my sister from New Bolton where Chrissy was put down.

My heart is broken. Sue and I have had Chrissy since she was born 13 years ago. This is one of the most profound losses I have ever felt.

I’ve lost pets before. I don’t ever remember feeling this way. I have lost my partner and my best friend due to a tragic accident that could have been prevented with a little common sense.

I know time will heal the wound but, dammit, this hurts. Hurts, hurts, hurts. I keep praying that I will wake up from this nightmare but it isn’t going to happen.

Nina

This little poem has helped me many times I hope it can lend you some comfort.

“He Only Picks The Best”

Many times we’ve missed you,
A million times we’ve cried.
If love could have saved you,
You never would have died.
It breaks our hearts to lose you,
But you did not go alone.
For a part of us went with you,
The day God called you home.
We did not see you suffer,
There was no cure to be.
He closed his arms around you,
And whispered come to me.
For all that you went through,
He saw you needed rest.
God’s garden must be beautiful,
For He only picks the best!

By Adrienne Vander Woude

Please, God, if you hear a scratch,
On the pearly gates tonight;
A gentle whine, a muffled bark,
Have Peter take a light
And open up the portals
And call her spirit in,
For we think she lived in Heaven once,
Please take her back again

I ONLY WANTED YOU
Author unknown

They say memories are golden
well maybe that is true.
I never wanted memories,
I only wanted you.
A million times I needed you,
a million times I cried.
If love alone could have saved you,
you never would have died.
In life I loved you dearly,
In death I love you still.
In my heart you hold a place
no one could ever fill.
If tears could build a stairway
and heartache make a lane,
I’d walk the path to heaven
and bring you back again.
Our family chain is broken,
and nothing seems the same.
But as God calls us one by one,
the chain will link again.

Rites of Passage

Some of the most poignant moments I spend as a veterinarian are those spent with my clients assisting the transition of my animal patients from this world to the next. When living becomes a burden, whether from pain or loss of normal functions, I can help a family by ensuring that their beloved pet has an easy passing. Making this final decision is painful, and I have often felt powerless to comfort the grieving owners. That was before I met Shane.
I had been called to examine a ten-year-old blue heeler named Belker who had developed a serious health problem. The dog’s owners - Ron, his wife, Lisa, and their little boy, Shane - were all very attached to Belker and they were hoping for a miracle. I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family there were no miracles left for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home. As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for the four-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt Shane could learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker’s family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away. The little boy seemed to accept Belker’s transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker’s death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives.

Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, “I know why.” Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me - I’d never heard a more comforting explanation. He said, “Everybody is born so that they can learn how to live a good life - like loving everybody and being nice, right?” The four-year-old continued, “Well, animals already know how to do that, so they don’t have to stay as long.”

By Robin Downing, D.V.M

You can at least rest more peacefully knowing you took care of her so well, so long, and did everything you could for her. {{{{hugs}}}}

So, so very sorry! She’s gorgeous! BIG HUG TO YOU!

Die hard member of the JESSE fan club!! :slight_smile:
Member of the Disgruntled College Student Clique

It is tough to lose a friend like you had in Chrissy. Big hugs to you and know that Chrissy is grateful for all you did for her.

Member of the Baby Greenie Support Group
Remember, dear, if you’re not bleeding and a fairly vital organ is not hanging out of your shirt, you keep riding

I can’t put words to thought right now. I’m devastated by your loss. Your post brought back all the horror of the night my beautiful mare had to be euthanized. My heart cries for you.

I’m so sorry for your loss! I know it must be extra frustrating knowing it “could’ve been” prevented. It’s okay to mourn, and please take comfort in knowing that you and Chirssy were both fortunate to have each other for such a long time. She may be gone, but never from your heart!

{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}

I am VERY sorry.

I am so very sorry. I lost a dear horse friend once too so I know the hurt and pain involved. Hang in there.

So sorry for you loss.

I am so sorry.

I am so sorry about Chrissy. Hold tight to the memories and let yourself grieve.

Oh Lord, Nina. I am so sorry for you in your loss. May dear Chrissy rest in peace, and may you be comforted by her memory and continued presence in your heart.

Deepest sympathies.

So sorry for your loss. I hope you can feel the support of this little electronic community, because there are plenty of folks here who can and do share your pain. Best wishes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Abby:
What a beautiful mare. She looks so similiar to one I had. How was she bred?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chrissy’s registered name was Crystalline. She was an Anglo-Trakehner. Her sire was named Falke (
Falke). She was out of a TB mare named Call To Post. Callie had very old-fashioned bloodlines: English on the top side and Flushing II on the bottom side. Chrissy was the only filly my sister and I ever got out of the mare.

Nina

“We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached. Unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way. We cherish memory as the only certain immortality, never fully understanding the necessary plan.”

Irving Townsend.

Am so very sorry to hear of the loss of such a great buddy and dance partner.

Nothing to add, except my deepest sympathy.

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. It is hard to lose an animal after you have had them in your life for so long.

I don’t know what to say. I can feel your sorrow and your anger, all mixed together. I wish I could take some of your pain for you.

“We ride and never worry about the fall.
I guess that’s just the cowboy in us all.”
Tim McGraw

{{{{{{{{{{big hug}}}}}}}}}}}}}}]

I lost one in January and I still think about him all the time. I’m sorry for your loss.

Always,
FairWeather
"Just call me mint jelly cuz i’m on the lamb!–Grandpa
http://www.fairweather-farm.com

First of all many thanks to all have posted or even sent silent thoughts. In all the awfulness last night the knowledge that I could reach out to my cyber-community gave me the strength I needed.

I am truly blessed in so many ways. Tammy and Mike, who own the stable, assisted Sue and me by dismantling the paddock to get her out and driving Chrissy to New Bolton. My retirees and broodmares gave a big cheer when I came in to feed them this morning (I like to think it wasn’t all food related ).

Chrissy was stoic and strong and the vet told me she was not in a lot of pain (HR was 40). The vet and the staff were compassionate and caring.

Chrissy was more than a riding horse. She inherited her mother’s sweet and loving disposition. She was always cheerful about work and was forgiving and generous (there wasn’t a distance she wouldn’t jump). My last ride on her on Sunday was wonderful - at least I have that memory.

If there is a Rainbow Bridge I know that Chrissy has crossed over and I am confident that Jack Trainor was waiting for her. He handled her for us in the yearling classes and always called her “my beautiful chestnut filly”.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
“We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached.
Unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way. We cherish memory as the only certain immortality, never fully understanding the necessary plan.”

Irving Townsend. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nina