Unlimited access >

I ran over the Easter Bunny!!!! (not for the squeamish)

Oh my God, I have never killed anything. Not so much as a bug. On purpose, anyway. So I was driving to the barn last night, blissfully dreaming of whether the mare was going to toss me or not, when a little bunny ran right in front of me. With oncoming traffic, I couldn’t swerve, I braked a little, but it was instantly apparent bunny wouldn’t make it.

I heard a Bang! then saw fur fly over the hood. I screamed, managed to keep the car on the road, and burst into tears (ok, I love bunnies). So I look in the rear view mirror to see what damage I had done, and nothing. I continued driving to the barn, upset, knowing I was a bunny murderer. So I get to the barn and figure I should check the front of my car for damage when lo and behold the ENTIRE bunny is plastered against my left headlight. If it hadn’t been real, it would have been funny. It was hanging on to the headlight with it’s front paws. I screamed, literally, and went into the barn.

It took me 20 minutes to find someone willing to go remove it. My ride was ruined, how can one concentrate when one has just murdered an innocent bunny??? My headlight is smashed to pieces. I called my husband (a hunter) who says “yah?..Can you bring it home?”

ARRRGHHHHG!!!

I feel terrible. And four days before Easter. I tell ya, the drive to the barn is getting more and more dangerous…

Heard a story from a customer who has a lodge in Alaska. A “neighbor” brought up 5 horses and figured he’d let them run free and forage for themselves (I guess they do this in Texas?)

The horses took off after being unloaded from the barge. Three went upriver way and were finished off by bears. The other two headed downriver and somehow survived one winter, but the guy never was able to get them back!

soo sad but so funny!

I remember a long time ago we were going back from my aunts and I heard my mom gasp, so I looked up and saw this deer flying towards up! We hit it and pull over, I was crying (I was 14) but the poor thing wasn’t dead. Luckily a cop was behind us and was checking things out. I asked my dad if it was o.k, he said yep, it walked away and was gone. Just as he said that BANG! the cop shot it! lier!

After that my mom was very careful about animals on the road and it wasn’t 2 weeks later when we were driving down a really steep hill and a ground hog ran out. She couldn’t stop and she samcked it, well the thing flew 5 feet in the air (very dramtically) land on it’s back and then proceeded to roll down the hill at a good speed almost as it to race us. She was hysterical!

To top it off, the same summer we were driving along (my mom again was behind the wheel) and we were coming up to asome seasguls. She slowed down but one seagull was having some trouble and didn’t get high enough in time. All we saw was it’s little legs smack against the top of our windshield.

Then there was my sister who had the worst roadkill insident of all. This one still gives me nightmares. She was driving along, bopping to some real loud tunes (had to be to drown out sound of the car) when she sees this black thing on the road. With no time to swerve or brake she thought that she’s stradle the “thing” so her tires wouldn’t run it over. Well she came to a COMPLETE stop, sparkes flew and her car jerked. Stunned, she gets out and looks under her car and saw that she hit…a tire. Complete with rim! it must of fell out of someones truck bed. Anyways, it was completly wedged under her car, she couldn’t get it out so she spots 2 people walking runs over and says “I hit a tire.” They stare at her, she stares back and finally the guy comes over and holds the tire as she backs up. It ended up pushing the engine block back 3 inches and the tire was stuffed and hung at our barn

…and saw “April 11th”, and for a few minutes was completely baffled at how you guys had managed to post with tomorrow’s date.
DUH! 2001!
So it’s like, 364 since this thread was started. Crazy!

EMMA

On the topic of bizaare coincidences:

A friend of mine was waiting for a lesson to show up, when he got a call from a neighbor totally panicked–he had come home and found his wife missing–she had gone out riding about 3 hours earlier and the horse had been standing in the driveway alone when he got there. So, my friend leaves a note for clients, and joins the search party.

Night is falling, and someone in the search party says, why don’t we get “Bill’s” four-wheelers–they have lights, etc. However, repeated calls to Bill’s home have no answer, but they finally get his wife at work who tells them where the keys are. They go out on the four wheelers, and find her. She’s in bad shape, so they call 911, and neighbor asks friend to drive to the hospital so he can ride in the ambulance but have a way to get home.

In the meantime, friend returns the 4-wheelers, to find out from Bill’s wife that he’s been in a car accident, and has a broken arm, and that’s why no one could find him.

Friend drives to hospital, waits several hours on news about neighbor’s wife (badly injured, but would make a full recovery) and drives neighbor home. It’s now 3:00 am, and he’s exhausted and starving, so stops into the IHOP to eat.

Who does he find in there, but clients he was waiting for earlier, all in various states of dissaray. Turns out they were in a car accident, car was totaled, and they had never made it to his place. Who had they been in the accident with, Bill of course. But just when the Twilight ZOne music gets going, youngest daughter said, “When I was waiting for my cat scan, I had to wait a little longer because there was this lady that was really badly hurt–they said she’d been hurt on horseback! Said they’d had a big search party out looking for hours for her. Wonder who that was??”

DEE DEE, dee dee, DEE DEE, dee dee . . .

Horse related but no horse hurt in the making of this accident…

This January, I’m riding down a dirt road. Beautiful sunny day, in the upper 70s (I’m in Tucson). I’m on my way to a friend’s house, and there are some quail (5-6) in the road pecking at the dirt.

Not even thinking about it… (These are birds, right? They can get out of the way!) …we walk towards the group of them (they are on my side) and most of them walk/shuffle/fly away. One particularly slow (or stupid, I don’t know) didn’t move very fast and Kalinka ended up stepping on his tail! What a squawk that bird made! Kalinka just looked down, snorted, and I swear I hear her think, “Stupid bird!”

I was laughing so hard I almost fell off…

–Therese

Smile! It makes people wonder what you’re thinking!

It’s OK Worthy - I am hear to absorb your bunnyguilt…

I have been thinking VERY evil thoughts about bunnies, who have been nibbling my pansies, my little tender newborn hostas, not to mention my (should be) blooming and beautiful clematis vine (a mere nub of it’s former self). I am sure it was the sheer evilness and ill will that I feel towards bunnies that caused that bunny to make the suicide dash, so it isn’t your fault…

And yes, I sorta giggled too, but unlike VT (evil, callous person that she is ), I have some well placed bunnyanger to deal with

The first spring I had my new horse was a wet one and it was hard to get outside to go for a trail ride. By the time I was able to get him over to my neighbor’s field the grass was more than knee deep.

Well, we are just casually walking along when all of a sudden I see something tan out of the corner of my eye.

My horse had stepped over a fawn lying in the grass (their mommies tell them to stay put and they DO stay put). He had gotten his front feet over the fawn and the fawn decided it was definitely time to SPLIT the scene. Fawn jumped up right underneath my horses belly and scooted off. Well, I’m not sure if the horse jumped straight up or if I ‘pulled’ him up when I nearly jumped out of my skin, but straight up about a foot or so we went.

Praise Allah that when he came down, he just meandered off as tho nothing had happened.

msj

You know you’re a horse person when…you can find your boots by smell.

So dogchushu and Goodytowshoes get to be president and vice president of the Bunny Killer Clique.

Well, golly, we are all animal murderers. I can relate to the bird on the windshield thing. Been there, done that. Ick!

RedHotHorse, when you started your story, I thought it was going to be a frog that got caught in the door track. When I first moved to my farm, there were frogs everywhere. Indeed, that is how I came up with the name for it. But you couldn’t walk anywhere without them being under foot. You have not lived until you have stepped on a frog. Squish!

ROFLMAO my boyfriend recently told me of his friend who did the EXACT same thing you did , same situation, same placement of bunny, everything…
oh man… SORRY I would freak out too! Shniffy.

“We came, we rode, we conquered.”
Member of the TB Clique, Young Trainers clique and the Disgruntled College Student Clique.

You definitely have my sympathies. Something akin to that happened to me years ago, involving a cat.

I went down to my car to go to work. I was living in an apartment then, and my car was in an open carport. I started up the car, and there was a big thunk and fur flying. I absolutely freaked, wondering what to do, but had to get to work for an early morning meeting. So I started driving, with the car running very sluggishly. After about a mile, I heard a sound like something was dropping out of the car, and looked behind me, but saw nothing.

When I got to work, still shaking and rather hysterical, I had a guy I worked with open the hood. All he saw was a lot of gray fur; he surmised that a cat had crawled up into the engine of my car early in the morning for warmth, and that a fan blade had struck the cat when I turned on the engine, probably killing it virtually instantly. He thought the noise I had heard while driving was the cat (or what was left of it at that point) falling out of the engine compartment - and I recalled that after that, the car was running much more smoothly and easily.

There wasn’t anything I could have done to have prevented it, but I felt soooo bad about it for such a long time… And was very nervous starting the car for quite some time afterwards…

A friend sent us a video clip of pro baseball pitcher Randy Johnson hitting a seagull recently with a 95 mph pitch! (He wasn’t intending to do it, the bird just happened to fly in front of the batter at the exact wrong time).

Well, it also looked exactly like a down pillow exploding!!! Pretty amazing to see…

“Of course, that’s only my opinion. I could be wrong.” - Dennis Miller

Wow, I’m amazed at the wildlife that roams the highways of America! I’m trying to imagine all these scenarios: bears in the front seat, mushed bunnies, vicious turtles, suicidal deer, etc.

The only thing we have to veer for is the occasional disoriented homeless person.

I have my share of roadkill stories.

One summer day I was driving into work when I noticed a couple of those mourning doves waddling about in the middle of the road - “hmm, black macadam, warm, good, nice on cold dove feet” which may be giving the critters way too much credit for thought. Nevertheless, as I approached the area of the avian sunbath said birds exploded into flight - as doves do - and I heard a sickening thud. One dove flew off as a cloud of feathers exploded in front of my windshield. Eecch, I said and thought no more about it. Until the phone rang at my desk.

“Uh, Sue” came the voice of one of my colleagues, “Webbo and I were out here on his stinky butt break (iow, they were outside so Webbo could smoke) and we decided to remove your new hood ornament. Would you like us to save it for your lunch?”

Turns out said dove had somehow managed to attach itself to the grill of my car by its head. Which explained the horrified looks on the faces of oncoming motorists.

As for deer - at one point I received a call from yet another colleague explaining he would be late that day because he had hit a deer. I asked if his truck was okay only to receive the reply that the truck was fine but he was taking the deer to his friend’s place so they could cut it up for future meals (eat what you kill)

Sue (gotta go find that RoadKill Cafe menu now)

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Emma MHC:
…and saw “April 11th”, and for a few minutes was completely baffled at how you guys had managed to post with tomorrow’s date.
DUH! 2001!
So it’s like, 364 since this thread was started. Crazy!

EMMA
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROTFL! I thought I was the only one!!!

NOW I’ve got the willies!

“The frog does not drink up the pond in which it lives.” ancient Aztec proverb.

Oh my God, I have never killed anything. Not so much as a bug. On purpose, anyway. So I was driving to the barn last night, blissfully dreaming of whether the mare was going to toss me or not, when a little bunny ran right in front of me. With oncoming traffic, I couldn’t swerve, I braked a little, but it was instantly apparent bunny wouldn’t make it.

I heard a Bang! then saw fur fly over the hood. I screamed, managed to keep the car on the road, and burst into tears (ok, I love bunnies). So I look in the rear view mirror to see what damage I had done, and nothing. I continued driving to the barn, upset, knowing I was a bunny murderer. So I get to the barn and figure I should check the front of my car for damage when lo and behold the ENTIRE bunny is plastered against my left headlight. If it hadn’t been real, it would have been funny. It was hanging on to the headlight with it’s front paws. I screamed, literally, and went into the barn.

It took me 20 minutes to find someone willing to go remove it. My ride was ruined, how can one concentrate when one has just murdered an innocent bunny??? My headlight is smashed to pieces. I called my husband (a hunter) who says “yah?..Can you bring it home?”

ARRRGHHHHG!!!

I feel terrible. And four days before Easter. I tell ya, the drive to the barn is getting more and more dangerous…

I had to drive to an old boss’s house so that he could peel a bat off the grill of my old car. There was no way I was touching it! EEEWWWWW

I have a conference room just behind my office and I laughed so hard when I read your ‘Easter Bunny with a basket’ that I heard the meeting get very hush for a second! Oops! Their going to take my internet access away or fire me yet!

msj