Unlimited access >

If you board - how far is your barn? How often do you train?

I live in the heart of a large city, my barn is 30-45 minutes from my home or office. I try to ride 3-4 days per week. Just curious what others experience in the way of travel to/from their horse.

I currently live an hour from my 2 horses, which I hate! But, its the best place for them, so there we are…
I ride 6 days

double post

I live 17 miles from the barn, which is anywhere from 20 minutes early on a weekend morning to 40 if you wait too late in the afternoon. It’s usually under 30 minutes when I ride during the week. I have lessons three days a week, ride one to two additional days, but am there almost every day.

[QUOTE=Luckgirl913;8714774]
I live in the heart of a large city, my barn is 30-45 minutes from my home or office. I try to ride 3-4 days per week. Just curious what others experience in the way of travel to/from their horse.[/QUOTE]

one hour travel each way. I may have a barn at home but i don’t have the other facilities. Daughter has to do the 2 hour commute from the city and then drive the additional hour, ride and then the hour back. She rides 6 days a week. It’s all what you are willing to do to ride.

Drive time from home is normally 23min each way (barring traffic) I typically get to ride 4 days a week (work days are 12hr shifts so just not enough time for riding to). I take typically1- 2 lessons a week and my trainer works with my guy about 1-2 days when Im working. I like to see him getting 5 days a week maybe 6 depending on the particular week.

I now have my horses at home and my commute to work is anywhere between 30mins to several hrs depending on traffic and where i’m working that day (multiple locations). Before getting prgenant i was riding probably 3 times a week - mainly due to the need to set the property up ie fencing , shed building etc.

Before we moved i was driving about 30-40 mins to work then another 30mins to the barn then another 30-40mins home (was a big triangle). I was riding 3-5 times a week work/life permitting. Having said that i had a horse who i found went better mentally if i ideally rode every other day. She was pastured most of the day so coped well with this fitness wise.

Commute to work: 15 seconds
Trip to the barn: 15 minutes tops
Days I ride: 6 d/w
telecommuting full time… priceless…

Before I lost my lease my horse was about 3 and a half miles away, so 10 minutes by car or 20 minutes by bike. Those windy back roads make everything take longer. I was riding 5 days a week, but usually at the barn 6.

Too far away. And my office commute is a nightmare. Everything sucks up time, so it all depends how exhausted I am from all my commitments and commutes. And commuting is exhausting!!

The boys are about 45 min away, I ride them 4-5 days a week, depending on what is going on. I have them lunged and/or trail ridden 1-2 days a week.

My mare is 2 hrs away, I try to get up there once a week. Doesn’t always happen, but as another poster noted, it’s the best fit for her, so …

I drive 45 minutes to get to barn. I ride four to six days a week.

I live 22 minutes (12 miles) away from the barn depending on traffic, however, I’m usually going to the barn straight from work, so by the time I commute via bus, it takes me 1-1.5 hours to get there from the time I leave the office. But hey, at least it’s an easy commute home from there. I take 2 lessons a week and ride 5-6 days a week, depending on weather, how busy I am, etc.

This is amazing. Look at the commitment we all bring to our riding! In case you ever needed proof that this is a labor of love, look at the hours willingly pored into our “hobby” in any given week. :slight_smile:
A

44 miles one way door to door. I ride 3 days a week and he gets a ride from my trainer 1 day a week. He’s happy so I’m happy.

55 miles - 1.25 hour drive each way but worth it for the best care for my 2 horses - 6 to 7 days a week

I live 5 mins away which is amazing. I use to board 40+ mins away, depending upon traffic, and being so close is awesome. I ride 4-6 days a week, and lesson every other week.

Mine is a 35-45 minute drive, depending how closely I follow the speed limit :wink:

I ride 4-5 times per week.

About 30 minutes from home, but 2 hours from work. When my horse is in work I ride 5 days a week. Twice in the weekend and 3 days after work.

I seriously have it good. I live about 12 miles (15 minute drive) from the barn where I board. Even better—my work is 5 minutes from the barn and it’s on my route from home to work. I work full-time + some travel—so I can’t imagine if I had a long commute to either work or the barn.

I have 3 horses (one is semi-retired) and ride 7 days a week. Some days I only have time to ride 1 horse—some days I ride 2.