Unlimited access >

Importing a horse from EU to the US.

This topic talks about the routines and tips about buying and bringing a horse to the USA from Europe!

Hi,
After a long time injury I have decided to return back to my beloved sport for one more time! So, the first thing I chose to gain was readiness and simultaneously I have started looking after a breedy, sporty horse! However, in the US these horses are pricey and my budget is tight So I swang my search to look at EU horses and I found couple of good looking horses (Just on the internet and not in person visiting yet !) with a good price range! As I have not any experience with importing a horse to the US then I started looking around for the process. The result was disappointing and looks complicate ! I couldn’t find a uptodate solid source that walk me through the steps once at the time !
So, that’s why I am here and need your help and tips by for importing a horse from EU.
There are many related questions for a beginner like me for example:
1- What country you suggest me to target primarily?
2- Do you know any reliable breeder, farm or stable?
3- Do you know any reliable agent in the europe who can help?
4- Do you know any Vet in a country or location you may familiar with?
5- Cost of Vet tests and Xrays?
6- What kind of Vet factors and diseases we should care about?
7- What vaccination records in details (during that 30 days before departing) are necessary for the transportation?
8- How much is the vaccination if its needed (during that 30 days before departing) ?
9- Is the vaccination certificate on the seller or buyer to obtain?
10- Should the horse passport obtained by the seller?
11- Do we need to pay sale tax in EU?
12- Is there any departure quarantine? If so how much is the cost roughly?
13- What Airlines and what days are performing the load and flight and which ones are recommended?
14- What entry permit and forms we have to fill and get its approval prior or upon landing?
15- Is the quarantine different for the Stallions/Mare/impegrant Mares ?
16- How many days usually takes to clear out quarantine including CEM?
17- What is the list of quarantine and CEM testing locations in Los Angeles if you are aware?
18- How to obtain CEM test waiver?
19- What AGent/Broker or transportation company you suggest and please take down their cost estimate roughly or exactly based on your knowledge or experience?
20- How much just the air fare will cost roughly?
21-How much Vet costs?
22- How much agent is asking?
23- how much trailers costs?
24- Is there any major fee that is hidden during the transportation and we should know about?
25- Do you know about the step by step process for importing a horse?

I appreciate if you answer all or partially. it will help me or others like me greatly and will help the US riders to make their mind in their horse trading business with Europeans!

This is an enormous amount of information you are asking for.

There are a number of existing threads on COTH on this topic.

I would suggest that you work with a North American trainer that can help you with the process. If you don’t have a North American trainer, then I suggest you find one. Basically, I don’t think this is doable by an unsupported amateur with no recent horse experience.

If you are returning to riding after an injury and a long break, I would suggest doing a series of refresher lessons with a good local trainer, then perhaps leasing for a little while, and then finally going horse shopping when you are truly ready for ownership again. Buying a horse prematurely is a huge mistake. If you are really after a competitive horse, you are not going to be able to hop on and ride it right now.

6 Likes

You ask a lot of really, really good questions that will help formulate a plan of action. As Scribbler mentioned above, there have been several threads on importing horses (and shopping internationally in general) in the past that may be of assistance to you.

One thing to factor in off the top of my head:
The prices for horses in Europe are often more appealing. Oftentimes, you’ll find more horses with more training/experience at a relatively lower price point than in North America (various reasons go into this including geography, government support, training prices, etc). However keep in mind that importing horses is not cheap. You are easily going to add an estimated 10k to your purchase price (a little more or a little less depending on your location in the US, mare vs gelding - geldings are cheaper, FYI, and how much it will cost you to ship the horse from the quarantine location to the end location). It adds up. Fast.

As far as locations, countries, and diseases: this all depends on what you’re looking for. If you’re shopping in Europe for the Iberian horses, you’re likely looking at Portugal and Spain. If you’re looking for a dressage-bred warmblood, Germany or the Netherlands are probably going to be your best bet (as both countries house the seat of the major registries - KWPN, Hannoveraner, Oldenburger, Westfalen, etc). If you’re looking for an event horse, you may look more closely into Ireland or the UK - and showjumpers of course have a strong representation in a number of countries.

All this aside, I think the above post had a lot of fantastic advice. You don’t specify how long your break has been from riding (a side note: congratulations on returning to this passion that we all love so dearly!) or what professionals you have state-side that are working with you. If your goals are a top competition horse, it will require some work on your part to get in “riding shape” for that even before acquiring the horse. Retraining all those muscles and reflexes can be arduous, but end up being so, so worth it. Likewise, a professional here can help you identify some “needs”, “wants”, and “avoids” on horse types/tendencies that will help you refine your search abroad even before you get off the ground (which ends up saving time and money - good goal to have).

3 Likes
2 Likes

Hi Scribbler,
Thank you for all your advices, but according to my situation I need to say I have 16 years of riding and 3 international FEI certificates (study) in my record and almost around 6 years of training the German breed very young horses. I was almost 4.5 years away of riding or training but again thank you for your great advices.So, just I dont know about importing process and the related costs. so, any info about these are much appreciated.

i’ve not gone through the process first-hand After watching others do it, my sense is that anyone who isn’t a known quantity in the European horse world would likely benefit from working with a trainer. No matter how credentialed a rider that person might be. Simply for the sake of opening doors and making introductions. And narrowing down the options. There’s so much over there that I can’t imagine how one could narrow it down, set up an efficient buying trip itinerary, etc without some long-standing connections.

3 Likes

Depending on what you are looking for precisely, it may be worth looking at some of the auctions that the registries themselves hold. Horses have to pass vetting before being accepted, and in my experience (Hannoveraner) they make the X-rays available so you can share with your vets here. You can also discuss findings with their vet. It’s a good way to be able to see and try a bunch of horses in one place although if you’re looking for a top performance horse right out of the gait they may not have much for your interests.

That said, a friend purchased a horse from one of the GOV auctions and had nothing but complimentary things to say for how easy the process was. They assisted with arranging shipping, etc.

The major drawback of the auctions is of course, there’s no guarantee that they will be selling what you are looking for, so do some research to see if this is an approach you feel comfortable with.

2 Likes

UPDATE 1,

Oooohhhh…OK… after dedicating many hours researching and reading, emailing and asking here and there I came up with the main plan of action but with many many details! …
Here I can not lay down all the details and also I should experience all the steps and procedures until clearly can guide and write down about all the steps ! So, maybe later after importing my horse come back here and uppdate this post with more details and details about the European country (the source of horse home) with their rules/laws/process/agencies/airlines and…
So, for now I decide to share with you my findings in general NOT in detail Hope my effort candle up the path for you a little more… So , don’t blame me if I forget any thing …
Again as the European sporty horses are much cheaper in europe than USA because of many factors including governmental support! horses are cheaper almost by 10k defacit than US! but if you add up the transportation you will see they are the same with a big difference on heart of the the problem ! Talent Pureness and QUALITY of the horse!

*** For German blood and KWPN its better you travel to Germany, Netherland or Belgium ! Some times Ireland and Spain could be good to search in price wise but not very recommended as the horse breeding is not very prevalent according to the experienced importers!

So the steps:

1- Visiting the pre nominated barn and stable (preferably 2 times in 2 different days and times and visually inspect the barn and staffs and horses the horse foods and the habitat that they grow in then pay more attention to your nominated horse and read about it from any source and find out its pedigree!)
2- Visual inspection and ride on test (pref 2 times without a prior notice to make sure no calmative or pain relief is injected!)
3- Veterinary exam and check ups in English(CEM EIA piroplasmosis, dourine and glanders test/Blood/Bone/Eye/Fertility power/Xrays , cost nearly 2k in germany!).
4- Contract in English / Payment receipt / collecting horse passport and health cert(formal translated deal over 2500 will go under heavy and pricey of US Customs and Border Control process!)
5- Registering to receive “ePermits” before loading the horse/s in the flight and air transferring from the destination! ITS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED TO APPLY FOR THIS BEFORE HEADING TO EUROPE TO BRING YOUR HORSE as it takes 7 to 10 days to receive the permit , (Per Headen, Amber L from APHIS USDA).
6- Buy air lift ticket or employ a transferring agency to transfer the horse to the airport (you need to get all the related info including the material that can ship with your horse up to the feeding or accompany person during the trip if its allowed, remember Fedex will only works with agencies not you!). Post arrival quarantine at an animal import center is normally 3 days for horses coming from the EU.!!!
7- Customs and Border Protection Process upon arrival (needs you to coordinate with USDA for inspection and temporary limited exit permit. You need to call CBP of your destination airport for a specific process and preparation! no formal process is defined !So each airport works on its own defined rule time to time !). Also remember the Horse Passport and a copy of health Cert and EPermits from USDA must be with your horse since it is air lifted at the source airport!
8- Regular Quarantine and Release (different for foals less than 731 days old / Mares /Stallions / Impregnant Mares , per the country of the horse with more than 60 days of residing there in record!)
9- CEM test and Blood test (For Mares /Stallions / Impregnant Mares send it to the state proved NVSL lab section FADDL test for imported animals.) Normally 21 days for both mares and stallions… Thoroughbreds from from England, France, Ireland, Germany are exempt from CEM test wich save you a tons of money!
10- Get the certificates and applying for getting the US passport after 60 days! or temporary interstate transfering permission! DO THE SPOT RESERVATION 3 weeks in advance! Also for more info about CEM waiver look at the bottom section of this page (Country Specific…)
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/our…ntries/germany
11- Recommended to provide a bloat and puffy stable or paddock with enough clean water and a nutrient food upon your horse arrival into its permanent location. Remember it lost blood and didn’t sleep well during the past days! so, it is so tired and weak! hence, be careful about it getting Colic or Cold which will add up some more bucks to your cost Specially a deadly Colic may completely ruin your beloved horse and your costly investment as well !

**** Its highly adviced to DO NOT inject any calmative or other kind of medicine 12 hours before the day of departure and cautiously 14 days to the departure date ! talk to your vet about the Vitamins and immune system booster medicines or ask USDA as it may cause a negative impact on the quarantine test results , if that happen your horse may force an immediate deportation on your cost!

**** To just give you a rough estimate for bringing a Mare from Frankfurt airport to LA or OC of California you need to add 9700$ on top of the purchase price for complete transportation to your stable! For a gelding/foal less than 731 days old its around 5000$ and for a Stallion 15500$ ! but it depends on the season of the transferring as well ! as airlines charge more during the Spring and Summer and during the winter you can expect up to 1200$ lower!

So If this article helps you at least a bit please hit the like below and it would be the least thing I expect from you ! Also, if you want to copy from me please reference to this note on your note! Thank you !

I think if you are buying from an experienced exporter and using a shipping company, they would be getting the paper work and quarantine etc handled for you.

2 Likes

This ^ was pretty much my experience. I didn’t do anything really but answer the phone, wire some money and wait for my boy to arrive.

3 Likes

Mike: Find your horse, vet your horse, pay for your horse. Contact an import agent and they will handle the rest. From the horse’s door to where you will keep the horse. You must be planning to go try out your horse(s) in person?

Not sure I am buying the OP’s objective (yet).

3 Likes

So, Mike…where are you from since English is not your first language?

Are you actually importing a horse or writing about importing a horse?

I think this is spam, to be honest.

4 Likes

Spam!! Man who writes up all this as a spam! Are you from transportation agency? Am I ruined and declared your business secrets?

But for clarity, I am living in CA and after searching for a while in the US market and see no luck I started searching Europe but I knew there are transportation fees and procedure involved… Then I started researching because I couldn’t see a good UPDATED source online and then I shared it here thats all… If what I said is useful for you take it otherwise skip it and dont tell my effort a Spam !

yeah I’m not convinced :lol::lol:

1 Like

If the OP’s next post is recommending a specific shipper or agent or European breeder to us, then I think your suspicions are justified :slight_smile:

2 Likes

if I didn’t think it was spam I would recommend people, but I’m hard pressed to understand how you “train young German warmblood for six years” and yet have no contacts and no idea how the horse buying or importation process works but also can’t read the eleventy million threads we have on the subject.

2 Likes

yep, and honestly it’s not that complicated or difficult… you go over find a dang horse you like, sellers are knowledgeable about the import process so generally take care of everything - like I said, I did nothing but pay for it. Everything handled first by seller and then by shipper(s)

2 Likes

Mike - this is always the way of internet people - they either know something or don’t or they call it spam. Some advice is useful, but you have to sort it!

“If what I said is useful for you”…you came here asking for help and now you are offering research on importing horses? I don’t understand the point of your post. If I wanted to import a horse I would talk to someone that has done it successfully.

Im not convinced. Your posts read as a 2nd language speaker or someone using a translator which is often the case with spam on these boards.

2 Likes