Unlimited access >

Impressive Barns/Stables

Rolling Acres in Newberry, Florida. Took a PEEP (sorry) last July when I was considering taking lessons there. From the minute I entered (through the gate with a little button you press that lets you in…) I was super impressed. The barn doesn’t smell like a barn, it smells… disinfected. But it’s certainly not bad, just very clean! Spectacular horses, gorgeous pastures, very nice arena with amazing jumps. I could go on but I have to leave on my Peep mission. More lata.

Erin
Horseback Riding: The Sport Of Kings. Bring Your Wallet.

http://www.equerry.com/hilltop/

to see pictures of Hilltop Farm. If you are every near Colora (for example, watching the FH International) it is worth arranging a visit to Hilltop–or, better yet, stay in their bed & breakfast!

I toured Buckram Oaks in Lexington once, and was told that each 20-30 stall barn costs in the vicinity of $800,000. They had many. Owned by one of the Maktoum brothers.

Besides Spruce Meadows, which Canadian barns would you recommend as being glorious to look at?

Cellular was amazing haven’t been there since the late 1980’s don’t know what happend to it after George Linderman stopped riding

Oh, Puffin! You found it! I remember that the library telephoned me when it was 2 days late returning as it was such an expensive book!

Bless you!

Among private farms/barns, it’s worth checking out Millcreek Farms. Owner’s quite interesting - used to own a HUGE trucking company, sold the company, got into horses, owns Eric Lamaze’s Millcreek Raphael. Beautiful place.

And Albert Court, Ltd…another great barn in Rancho Santa Fe which I have heard is absolutely stunning.

Gift of HonorGallants Talent*

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Thnkafully in 1988 as a gift, the firm of Johnson/Schmidt and Associates gave to Carnegie Mellon University numerous pictures of the Ligonier, PA stable in it original state. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To Carnegie Mellon? Do you happen to know where they might be? I’ll be at CMU next week (spring carnival yay!) and it would be fun to look them up

Here in the Lower Mainland in BC we have 2 absolutely STUNNING barns.

Kensington Park Stables-The mansion alone is worth at least 5 million. 2 huge outdoors in the front yard complete with bleachers. arched iron gates with stone pillars marks the entrance.

Large pond, also with a golf course around/on the property.(think walking on the grass and OOPS! step in a golf hole).

Lounge worthy of a…well I dont know what, but it is breathtaking. It overlooks the huge indoor with slanted arena walls. Lounge includes pillars, vaulted ceilings, a kitchen, bathrooms etc.

I will post a pic of this barn…the pic shows only part of the mansion and a bit of the front.

The second barn is Hazelmere equestrian center. equally stunning.I dont have any outside pics of this one.

I just recently bought a dog. I had great fun naming him “Stay”. I sit on my couch and call out “Come here, Stay…Come here Stay!” I laughed when he got confused, so now he just ignores me.

[This message was edited by Living it Up on Apr. 12, 2002 at 07:05 PM.]

Creseida – Where in Warrenton is the Oare’s farm? I live in Warrenton and have probably seen it, but don’t know which one it is.

Chelsea

“I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn’t arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I’m going to be happy in it.” - Groucho Marx

Pictures My Horse Is Famous!

I think Peter Leone’s Lionshare Farm is impressive. He’s gorgeous, his wife is beautiful, they have two perfect children and a farm to die for.

http://www.lionsharefarm.com

Thanks for the info on the Rolling Rock. I’ll shed a few tears for the lovely grounds that I used to enjoy both at the races and the shows.

msj

Spaz-
Ugh…hope you get healthy soon. My friend had mono a couple of months ago. She was only out for 2-3 weeks.

in Elverson, PA. It is a really beautiful place. The lounge connected to their indoor is completely gorgeous and is connected to a very pretty courtyard surrounded on three sides by stalls and on the four side by the huge indoor ring. It’s lovely. We go to shows there and I always enjoy the scenery.

CdnRider- Yeah, I’ve noticed I’m starting to get somewhat “lighter”…sigh at least one good thing will come out of this!

Merry- Tell me when you’re book comes out! I’m obbsessed (sp?) with stables and barns…I have about 75 floor plans for them already! (I DO have a social life…I DO have a social life…)

You guys are all a wealth of information! I think this photographer friend & I are “thiiis close” to a contract for doing the pitch. I’ve been making a list of all these great places. The book topic was actually the publisher’s idea, not mine.

I have my own book ideas floating around in my head. You know, when you have a crown ripped off your head, it’s amazing how much easier you can think!

From the stained glass window in the cupola to the brass ball topped Lodden stalls, Pam’s 16 stall barn is c’est magnifique. When a sale horse walks out of its stall, you just know it’s worth the $$ simply because it lives there. Oh yes, I forgot to mention the twin tiled wash racks…

Merry, you should DEFINITELY include Pam’s place in your article/book!

~Kryswyn~
“Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo”

Southern Pines actually has quite a few…

Some of the farms are older - ie Mile-a-Way - but the history and stories if only those walls could talk.

I think the aisle of Yellow Frame was used to film a ball room scene for some movie back in the 80’s…anyone remember?

There is no crying in baseball!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lord Helpus:
Any of the farms owned by one of the Dubai Sheiks is awesome. One of them had 4 stalls per barn (It might be Buckram Oaks). Each stall is in a corner and is 18 x 18. It is lined with Mahogany, with the rubberized brick underneath 3’ of golden straw. The railings around each stall are REAL BRASS and are shined daily.

I have been to a lot of NICE barns and places in Lexington. But the ones owned by the Sheiks are in a class by themselves. They even have little men running behind you wiping up the drool you emit since you jaw is hanging down around your knees. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My OTTB was imported by the racing stable of one of the sheiks! I wonder if he is disappointed in his current living quarters!