Unlimited access >

Impressive Barns/Stables

One’s I’ve seen that seem awesome from the outside in Wellington…Salamander Farm, Starwin, The Linders, Heritage, etc…

Ones I’ve been in and loved…Sagpond on Long Island and Ashmont Farm in Florida…those two are my fav!!!

Great one located in California…All I can say is…WOW…lots of grass in this sucker!

Link To Mary Shirley’s Place

Gift of HonorGallants Talent*

is legendary! Although no longer active, it was beautifully written up in Practical Horseman, somewhere around 1980 or so.

Not only was it physically beautiful, but the horses and riders it produced read like a who’s who of the h/j world.

If anyone can find that back issue, it will give you a look at a showplace without peer. I think I have it, and will look up the date.

Laurie

Lauriep & Suniday

Ronnie Beard was the trainer at Winter Place Farm in the 70’s. The Practical Horseman article about him includes photographs of the exceptional facility. The new indoor ring featured crystal chandeliers suspended from the ceiling and long mirrors that lined the walls. A Florentine water fountain graced the reception area outside the shingle-covered trophy room and office. Both sides of the spacious indoor arena were lined with stalls. Each solid pine stall had sliding doors, feedbin drawers and coach lamps. The floors were tartan-surface. The blacksmith shop was housed in a seperate stone building. It also had a whirlpool bath for the horses. Luxuries prevailed for both human and equine.

The Caines were the owners. I use to ride one of their daughter’s future ponies in Lead Line.

I have the magazine article in my collection.

No no! Stop with the depressing mood!

Oh well, at least I get all the Phish Food I can eat. Even if I’m not hungry, I force myself to eat it.

Years ago I found a gorgeous book in the Fairfax County Public Library system that was all about the stables of the great castles and chateaus in Europe. It had gorgeous photographs and histories of each one they featured.

It was a coffee table sized book but I can’t recall the title. What a great topic to research!

ETBW mentioned a book of which I suspect is American Stables, An Architectural Tour by J.T. Sadler Jr & his wife Jacquelin. It came out in 1981 and is rather hard to find and if you do its expensive.

I paid over $120 for a copy I tracked down last year. $300 a copy for excellent condition ones is the norm - see bibliofind.com.

Not what it used to be, but the main barn remains my all-time favorite. There also used to be a lovely “stud barn” and “pony barn” - the latter complete with it’s own courtyard and little indoor.

Merry - Richard Gambrill wrote a book in the 30’s (maybe later 20’s) called American Stables and Kennels that was published Derrydale Press. Hard to find and very expensive, but you can certainly get it through your library, as I know it is in the National Sporting Library in Middleberg and they are on the Interlibrary Loan system. EMail me if you want me to track it down for you. I know I have a copy.

I think it would be fun to have pictures of these places in the heydays as well as new pictures.

Gee, now I really hope this book gets picked up! I might actually have to visit a few of these in person. Kind of puts our little 6-stall Barnmaster place to shame. But we do have really pretty roses and salmon pink geraniums around the place, LOL!

Oh Heidi, if we ever meet, do you promise to walk through a metal detector first? You wouldn’t want to end several centuries worth of US/Canadian detente in one weekend!

Just picture mahogony stalls, porcelian feed tubs, brick aisles, snow white pretzel shaped crossties in the aisle (can’t imagine they ever were used), matching monogrammed towels folded to perfection on each door. The exterior of barns were a beautiful stone and I think they had the wooden shake shingles on the roof but can’t remember for certain.

Glimmerglass, I almost cried when you said they were made into condos.

I knew the horses were gone and replaced by cattle UGH!

Does anyone know if they still have the steeplechase races there? Or the hunter show?

msj

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Trill:
Quote: "Thankfully in 1988 as a gift, the firm of Johnson/Schmidt and Associates gave to Carnegie Mellon University numerous pictures of the Ligonier, PA stable in it original state. "

To Carnegie Mellon? Do you happen to know where they might be? I’ll be at CMU next week (spring carnival yay!) and it would be fun to look them up <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You likely will have to provide an advance request to the keeper of the documents to your visit. See their Janssen Collection:

http://www.library.cmu.edu/Research/ArchArch/janssen.html

http://www.library.cmu.edu/Research/ArchArch/contact.html

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Merry:
But do tell. What exact city is that located in, and what is her place called?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Gonda place is El Campeon. I’m sure you already know where that is – Chef notes that it’s in Hidden Valley.

OMG, my neighbors farm, Pleasant Hill, is soo nice! The lady doesn’t really show seriously, it’s just her “fun” barn. Cost something like $10 million to build!!!

They have a main barn w/ a herrigbone-patterned brick fllor, skylights, front and back doors to all the stall, TONS of brass, etc… Then there’s the mahogany paneled lounge and tack room, plus an apartment for some of the help. The second smaller barn is also really nice.

They have a beautiful covered ring and a HUGE outdoor ring. Acres and acres of pasture that are meticulously maintained b/c only 1 horse goes out in each pasture for about 2 hours a day. All pastures have these really nice run-in sheds too. The landscaping is beautiful, probably b/c she has a full-time staff of about 25…

The place is spotless, you could litereally eat off the floor. 3x a day they wipe all the walls and ceilings down w/ Endust, blow the aisle every hour, soap the aisle every morning,etc… It’s anal, but the place is so nice! I mean, if you can think of something to clean, they do it at least once a day! LOL

~Sarah~

not only do they have a stunning line-up of stallions, but these horses live better than most folks i know.

http://www.ironspringfarm.com/

i met, petted, and luved up consul, who is as gentle as a kitten. he is really enjoying his retirement.

-jacksmom

I just noticed Terri Kessler’s barn on the King Construction’s gallery page. Doesn’t she post here? :0)

http://www.calumetfarm.com/index.html

Calumet Farms in Lexington, Kentucky is sooooo beautiful, I was thinking of leaving Wesley at the front gate with a note tied around his neck and pray they take him in.

Also Monty Roberts place is awsome!!!

http://montyroberts.com/1-888-826-6689/
click farm

~Christina~
“Chaos is what killed the dinosaurs, Darling!” JD;Heathers

[This message was edited by daytimedrama on Apr. 05, 2001 at 10:20 PM.]

[This message was edited by daytimedrama on Apr. 05, 2001 at 10:20 PM.]

edit

DANG!

Save a few more bucks you could go build a stable of your own

Thanks for the book tips, Weatherford and friends! Here in my town (aka “Horse Town USA” sigh: the horse parade is this morning and the rodeo is tomorrow) we have a huge room built onto the city library that houses a great collection of horse books. I’ve spent many an hour doing research in there! I’ll go over on Monday with the titles of these books and see if I can track them down.

lauriep - when you do the article on TH about Winter Place Farms, please e-mail it to me. I am a board member for the equestrian center and we would love to keep it in the scrapbook. I do not subscribe to TH, so I don’t have access to it.

Thanks!!!