Unlimited access >

In memory of November Rain

I doubt that this is true but it’s still sad I e-mailed some questions I’ll let you know the response but decided to share and see what others opinions are…

IMO these people have NO idea what they are talking about or are hoping to hit someone that has no idea about horses!

http://www.horseville.com/php/view.php?id=185885

There is no way a retired Olympic jumper would be for sale for $500.

[QUOTE=nlk;3789857]
I doubt that this is true but it’s still sad I e-mailed some questions I’ll let you know the response but decided to share and see what others opinions are…

IMO these people have NO idea what they are talking about or are hoping to hit someone that has no idea about horses!

http://www.horseville.com/php/view.php?id=185885[/QUOTE]

thats so sad olympics to 4-h ): and he looks terrible for an 18 year old!!

[QUOTE=IsolaBella09;3789866]
There is no way a retired Olympic jumper would be for sale for $500.[/QUOTE]

That was my first thought! I -mailed to find out WHICH Olympic exactly he competed in and asked about any injuries that kept him from competing…

I hope this isn’t a retired olympic horse :frowning:
And yeah… it doesn’t seem that they know what they’re talking about lol

Retired Olympic horse

My question wouldn’t be ‘had he ever been in the Olympics’ my question would be " How on earth did he ever get to this state?" this horse is quite clearly under weight !! Maybe Animal Control should visit this seller? !!

[QUOTE=Draftlover;3789933]
My question wouldn’t be ‘had he ever been in the Olympics’ my question would be " How on earth did he ever get to this state?" this horse is quite clearly under weight !! Maybe Animal Control should visit this seller? !![/QUOTE]

I agree!!

:lol: that cant be true

There was a very famous upper level eventer that someone found rotting away in a field and saved on the eventing bb.

There was also this horse, who stopped at a fence then found himself at New Holland
http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=54902&highlight=rescue

I’m thinking it was the Special Olympics.

If they will actually tell you his name, should be easy to verify. I wouldn’t call it impossible, stranger things have happened, but I call bullsh!t on this one.

It really can happen.
My trainer found a horse for one of her BMC (big money clients). The horse was older 15-18 range and had been a World Cup horse. Not a s famous as an Olympic horse, but still the upper echelon of our sport.
Well the BMC decided they didn’t want to ride with my trainer anymore and moved on. Then they decided they didn’t want to ride at all anymore. Both of their expensive extremely nice horses were turned out in a field in CO with a whole bunch of grade horses. They essentially just slipped through the cracks. A year later someone picked them both up to use as barrel horses. My trainer eventually was contacted as in “I think these horses might have been in your program once.” We drove by and there they were. Skinny, bad feet the whole nine yards. The poor world cup horse did not pasture well just turned out.
It happens more than we would like to think.

[QUOTE=eqrider1234;3789888]
thats so sad olympics to 4-h ): and he looks terrible for an 18 year old!![/QUOTE]

I agree. And I also agree with bluehorsesjp - it happens more often than one might expect.

IF - BIG IF - the story is true, then I betcha 2 other things are also true: (1) he’s not sound and (2) he’s older than 18.

Whether he’s an Olympic horse or not, I sure hope one of y’all can pick him up and bring him home!!! :yes:

1 Like

[QUOTE=War Admiral;3790243]
I agree. And I also agree with bluehorsesjp - it happens more often than one might expect.

IF - BIG IF - the story is true, then I betcha 2 other things are also true: (1) he’s not sound and (2) he’s older than 18.

Whether he’s an Olympic horse or not, I sure hope one of y’all can pick him up and bring him home!!! :yes:[/QUOTE]

I so wish I could. I was hoping someone closer might see this and find it interesting enough to look into it.
I couldn’t believe someone would put a picture like that on an add and not say something like “we just rescued him or he was sick so he’s in poor body condition” something that even acknowledges that this horse is in horrible shape!

here’s the response I got from the seller. almost sounds like they are dealers. I can’t imagine anyone else taking someones word on this and advertise with out checking into it.:frowning:

Hi,
We aren’t sure what Olympics Dundee was in. The only info we were given was that he was an Olympic jumper. It isn’t uncommon for owners to not want to give us a lot of details on the horses we acquire, we weren’t even told his name, we named him Dundee after he arrived at our farm. As far as we know, Dundee did not suffer any injuries, he just stopped showing well. He was worked and worked and put in competition after competition, it seems he just got tired of it. We think he would do well as a 4-H horse.
Nancy & Jo

As far as I’m concerned he does not look like a very happy boy. Hopefully, someone will grab him, feed him, take good care of him, and love him. I hope it happens soon.

It absolutely happens. I saw an ACTUAL CONFIRMED Olympic jumper left to rot at a remote farm after it apparently became too old, crippled, and unthrifty to keep at the BNT’s fancy barn. Asshat BNT wasn’t man enough to just put the poor beast down (it was over 20 years old, more or less walked on its ankles, & couldn’t keep weight on no matter what), so he dropped it off at the remote farm and basically disappeared until the BO called and DEMANDED he do something (ie euthanasia) for the horse’s deteriorating condition. Apparently, “Bute” was the answer. :mad: It took a bunch of people making a really big stink for the BNT to grow a pair and put the horse down. (If anyone wants names, I am happy to share via PM.)

There truly is no achievement on this earth that will ensure a horse is loved and valued forever. Not even the Olympics.

1 Like

If a Kentucky Derby winner-think LOTS of money-can end up in a can in Japan, you can bet an ex Olympic horse can end up in 4h! Sad but true!

1 Like

There are some things worse than “ending up in 4-H”! :wink:

1 Like

To me, the ending up in 4H is not an issue (our 4H horses growing up were our A show horses too). The horrible condition of this guy is. He’s pretty dreadfully underweight and looks older than 18 to me.

It could be true, after all, a Kentucky Derby winner went to slaughter and was eaten in Japan.:eek:

Or it could be false. I answered an adv. for a mare who was advertised as a “Kentucky Derby mare” even though only a few have run over the years.
When I asked the seller which year, he/she emailed back that the horse had run at Churchill Downs.