Unlimited access >

In memory of November Rain

We have an old international jumper, rumored to have been on the Canadian Olymic team, that the most sillies old guy. He is a belgian warmblood and just putts around the ring with the kids on him. He for sure was once very spoiled, one of his small vices is that he bangs on his stall door when he runs out of hay.

1 Like

Maybe his show name was “retired Olympic jumper”

I could see this happening also…

About this horse, “He’s a retired Grand Prix horse.” other person “Whats that mean? (then normally ride western and don’t know levels of competition,or have mostly or only shown 4-H, open, etc)” seller, “Like they do in the olympics, the the BIG jumps”

And maybe has been thru several owners since he did the GP’s. so his value went down with each level down, till now and yes he’s probably older than they are saying…

I don’t know, the horse looks thin, but not incredibly underweight. Something about his look makes him seem very regal. The Olympic part? It could have started as having been in an Olympian’s barn, and the story might have convoluted from there. He looks like a nice horse who deserves a nice home, he isn’t priced unreasonably and hopefully someone will take him.

True but disgusting

[QUOTE=SBT;3790319]
It absolutely happens. I saw an ACTUAL CONFIRMED Olympic jumper left to rot at a remote farm after it apparently became too old, crippled, and unthrifty to keep at the BNT’s fancy barn. Asshat BNT wasn’t man enough to just put the poor beast down (it was over 20 years old, more or less walked on its ankles, & couldn’t keep weight on no matter what), so he dropped it off at the remote farm and basically disappeared until the BO called and DEMANDED he do something (ie euthanasia) for the horse’s deteriorating condition. Apparently, “Bute” was the answer. :mad: It took a bunch of people making a really big stink for the BNT to grow a pair and put the horse down. (If anyone wants names, I am happy to share via PM.)

There truly is no achievement on this earth that will ensure a horse is loved and valued forever. Not even the Olympics.[/QUOTE]

This is true. I knew of this story from a collegue. I believe the horse was a stallion. I think the BNT should have been gelded. The BNT didn’t want anything to do with the horse and he could probably afford a good retirement. Unfortunately, some people believe that a horse only has “value” when it’s performing and not when it’s old. I wonder how they treat geriatric parents.

1 Like

I sure hope someone picks this boy up and sticks some groceries in him. $500 is cheap for any horse and if he’s good for 4-H he could sure make a good lesson horse. He looks utterly miserable and it breaks my heart!

looks like the old boy has good well set hocks, and conformationally (at least from what we can see) it looks like he could have jumped a decent sized fence. that said, i wouldn’t be surprised if he was a modern pentathlon horse.

I believe I actually know this horse . . .kind of. When I purchased my Oldenburg mare I was told there was also an aged chestnut retired Olympic Australian TB on the property for sale. I didn’t look at him because I didn’t need another horse so I’m not 100% positive this is the exact one but far too coincidental as I live in this area. My mare came to me in BAD shape. VERY thin and respiratory infection. I also got no information on her (registered name etc). I was told when I looked at her that they thought she as a draft cross. This is just a backyard woman who apparently had no idea what a brand was or what registry it referred to. She also does not put the care into these horses that we would expect. :frowning: I’ve been trying since to bug the woman like crazy to find out who my mare actually is but have stopped receiveing e-mails from her. :frowning: I know she gets very nice horses from a woman named Beth and then sells them dirt cheap. I have no idea where any of these horses actually came from but I’ve been trying like mad to find out. I’ve seen a very nice Hanovarian and a German Oldenburg on her property as well so I actually can believe that this guy is a retired upper level horse.

P.S. If anyone lives in this area (the farm is about 1/2 hour from Elmira, NY)and wants to help do some investigative work PM or e-mail me. :slight_smile: I’d soooo love to find out where she’s getting these horses!

1 Like

“Seven-up
I’m thinking it was the Special Olympics.”

Rude, There are some very nice horses in the special olympic line up. I have a ex grand prix jumper who retired to one of my fields and looking at his sway back and grey you would never have known he took his BNT to events all over the world, I was just happy when his syndicate dumped him we could house him in his creaky years, well after a brief stint with a family who wanted to own a semi famous horse. You’re statement is special in itself! This horse had made it to a world cup and stifle issues ended his career, given to a family who were going to love him and hack him forever… YEA RIGHT. I picked him up before he was sent to one of those sales as he was not sound enough to ride as much as family wanted and they dumped him, kills me that he had the best of everything (vets, shoes, stables, blankets, rider) and poof you’re worthless BYE BYE :frowning:

Possible Home

I wrote the people, he’ll get a home if he still needs one.

2 Likes

May be much ado about nothing here…that is just seller/dealer stating something somebody told them and admitting they have no details at all.

He is in rough shape but seen worse. Alot worse.

However. Lots of horses go to the Olympics and other WC level competitions in lots of disciplines representing lots of countries and many individuals unsuppported by a national team. It’s possible…if it is the Australian TB perhaps he was an Eventer or something. Some teams used to sell their horses in the country of the competition back when because it was too expensive to return ship and they used the money to pay for the trip.

So, there are more out there then you think that have been at the top level, particularly if they were not the winners and got sold several times.

[QUOTE=fordtraktor;3790617]
To me, the ending up in 4H is not an issue (our 4H horses growing up were our A show horses too). The horrible condition of this guy is. He’s pretty dreadfully underweight and looks older than 18 to me.[/QUOTE]

Same here. About half the hunters that show I used to show against in the 4-H were A hunters.

Anyway, this boy looks to be in bad shape to be only 18.:frowning:

[QUOTE=IsolaBella09;3789866]
There is no way a retired Olympic jumper would be for sale for $500.[/QUOTE]

Sure there is. GP horse can no longer do the job, gets sold and steps down to a Jr or A/O. After years of stress, horse develops soundness issues and can no longer compete at that level and moves down to the children’s jumpers for a while. Horse can no longer compete and stay sound so what does the owner who can’t afford a decent retirement for the horse do? They sell it to to someone who will use it in a lesson program. Lesson barn uses up what the horse has left up and dumps it. It happens. I hope this guy has a happy ending.

1 Like

Yes, it does happen.

When I was 16, I rode a horse that had gone 'round the Seoul Olympics. He was on the showjumping team for another country, and got around with 16 faults.

I rode him, at Wellington, in the schooling jumpers, when he was 16 or 17 years old. I remember walking through the schooling area, with people shaking their heads and saying in a stage whisper - “that horse doesn’t deserve that”.

I was stupid, and had my head in the sand, so I just didn’t get it.

I think there are few good horsemen left at the upper levels - ones who see and believe in the partnership with the horses that got them where they are, and commit to taking care of them for their lifetime. So often now it seems - that it’s nothing more than a commodity to earn keep. It’s just business.

Us amateur soft hearted folk just don’t understand it. I know I don’t.

1 Like

Does anyone have their COTH Olympic Preview issues handy? Mine are in a box in storage and it would take a lot to grab them. My body is also very broken today.

I think that the face markings would make it so easy to identify / match.

Someone who might know is Laurie Pitt. She’s an awesome knowledge bank!

Can’t always blame the riders and trainers of these horses since often times the horse belongs to a syndicate and if it is successful they may want to sell and make money and rider/trainer doesn’t have the $$$ so loses the horse where it may move on up or go down the drain! sadly in this game, too many people treat their horses like a car, when it no longer works, get rid of it and buy another.

He might have come through a college program. A lot of people donate nice horses not realizing that the colleges will auction them if they don’t work out.

And, imho, there is nothing wrong with an Olympic horse ending up as a kids horse. As long as they are taken care of they don’t care if they’re being ridden by a kid.

OT but…since they did not offer to by that horse and retire him, they really have no right to say anything IF that horse is sound and happy to keep working at the lower level.

Don’t feel guilty for using any horse that wants to work as long as they are happy and sound.

A friend leased one such horse, a former World Cup finalist for one of the smaller European countries who got around with alot less then 16 faults and more then once-would have gone to the Olympics if that particular team was not so deep in talent year afer year after year. Maybe 18 still doing the Ch/Ad Jumpers. Fat and happy…they had tried retirement and he hated it.

Maybe 200 to 300 horses go to the games, no reason why they cannot continue to work at whatever level they are sound and happy at as long as they stay sound and happy.

[QUOTE=beeblebrox;3790892]
Rude, There are some very nice horses in the special olympic line up. /QUOTE]

Ditto on the rude. One of my pet peeves – people who think saying “Special Olympics” is some kind of witty put-down.

“Olympic” or no, this guy is just breaking my heart. He’s just CALLING to me through that photo. Ohhhh please spomeone tell me he’s going to a super home. sniff

My thoughts- if a horse so much as goes over a pole in western tack aroudn here, he’s often advertised as “a top hunter prospect”. If he did do a local club show over fences (say, two jerry rigged at 2’) then word gets around that he’s a really good jumper, won a ton of stuff… basically some pretty ignorant exxageration.

We also had an ex-olympic horse in the barn. He was sent out to retire. Couldn’t be a kid’s moutn as he was pretty full of himself at times. He did some local shows and trails but mostly just hung around the back 40. Bless all those beautiful old guys.