Unlimited access >

In memory of November Rain

[QUOTE=cloudyandcallie;3790629]
It could be true, after all, a Kentucky Derby winner went to slaughter and was eaten in Japan.:eek:

QUOTE]

WHAT??? Which horse was this? It always breaks my heart, but especially when they are so talanted and special.

I emailed the sellers b/c I am interested in giving this guy a loving home forever. I had an Australian Tb gelding that was short listed for Athens. I lost him on course and Dundee is the same age as Tug and everything.

Whoever emailed them… How long did it take for them to get back to you??

Gillian

and BTW where is Troy, PA??

Ferdinand…maybe, what…20 years ago? Won two legs on the TC IIRC.

Sold to Japan as a stud, sort of vanished after disappointing offspring. No proof but believed he was slaughtered.

Nobody’s fault over here either, how would they know? Different sensibilities in different cultures.

Ummm…the whole thing on that ad is a little shaky with the “listing for friend” deal and with no papers, how the heck can they claim to know how old it is? Or what it is? They don’t even know it’s real name.

And he does look alot older then an average, active 18 year old.

Why doesn’t someone email and ask if he has a tattoo?

No way! Ferdinand? I loved that horse! I remember that time when they sold tons of really nice American horses to the Japanese for their breeding plan. I believe Sunday Silence and Easy Goer both went to Japan, did they not? Hopefully they didn’t wind up at the knackers too.

Yes, this horse screams for a good home. He does look in poor shape but thankfully it appears that there are some people wanting to give him a loving home. I would, if I had some land to put him on!

[QUOTE=Tazer;3790914]
I wrote the people, he’ll get a home if he still needs one.[/QUOTE]

Does this mean you are going to go get him? Ohhhh I hope so. What a great ending for this kind eyed gentleman. Please keep us posted.

I think it would be fantastic if we could figure out who he is.

[QUOTE=Tazer;3790914]
I wrote the people, he’ll get a home if he still needs one.[/QUOTE]

You’re my hero:) If I was closer I would have brought him home already. I hate seeing horses that are treated so badly, and going by the post from the other person who got an Oldenburg out of there I would likely to serious bodily harm to the seller!

I don’t care what he did, no horse deserves to live like that, and he may only need some “groceries” now but in another month or two… I personally have seen horses come in near starving and/or from the slaughter pen to become very nice school and show horses and ponies.

Good luck let us know what happens.

[QUOTE=2016 RoyalCrown KTug;3791577]

[QUOTE=cloudyandcallie;3790629]It could be true, after all, a Kentucky Derby winner went to slaughter and was eaten in Japan.:eek:

QUOTE]

WHAT??? Which horse was this? It always breaks my heart, but especially when they are so talanted and special.

I emailed the sellers b/c I am interested in giving this guy a loving home forever. I had an Australian Tb gelding that was short listed for Athens. I lost him on course and Dundee is the same age as Tug and everything.

Whoever emailed them… How long did it take for them to get back to you??

Gillian

and BTW where is Troy, PA??[/QUOTE]

They e-mailed me back by the next day. Talk to Tazer to they seem to live close and were talking about contacting the owner

He looks terribly sad to me… he needs a home no matter what he has or has not done.

TAZER: Please go get him and keep us posted.

Does anyone know a girl named Altaire? Was is the Kansas area, but was from Canada. She had a horse that was long listed for the Canadian team and that horse looks similar to me. I could be totally wrong, but she has been in some hard times.

You are 100% correct on all counts. I saw what became of that horse and it sickens me to this day. What makes it even worse is that I actually came face to face with the POS BNT and bit my tongue instead of telling him exactly what I thought of him. :no:

So . . they emailed me back. :slight_smile:

Who is thinking about him?? Because I can try to persuade my dad, but we are already over flowing with the 26 we have currently.

Let me know because this guy really deserves a loving home for life, whether he is an Olympian or not. Plus he’s Australian! :wink:

Working on it

I just heard back, he is still in need of a home, I’m trying to work out a trip now. I need another horse like I need a hole in my head… but he sure looks like he needs “out”.

[QUOTE=jmjhp;3792799]
Does anyone know a girl named Altaire? Was is the Kansas area, but was from Canada. She had a horse that was long listed for the Canadian team and that horse looks similar to me. I could be totally wrong, but she has been in some hard times.[/QUOTE]

There is Beth Underhill from Canada who rode a bay horse named Altair???

One of my favs!!! I actually got to met them at a show in Aiken! She was not showing Altair there, they were on their way to FL and she was just riding him around the grounds.

Is Beth Underhill having hard times? Is this the same one you were thinking of JMJHP?

ETA: I sure hope this guy finds a good home!! He looks like a real sweety! Also looks like w/ some TLC he sure would be handsome!

this absolutely DOES happen. i had a mare who belonged to a world cup polo team owner in my barn. before this cretin became such a phenom in the polo ranks by buying himself back to back to back championships, this little mare saved his fat axx non-riding butt from certain death by staying on her feet when this bozo made a really boneheaded move.

after breaking her coffin bone and soldiering on, this mare made a remarkable recovery. she was our barn pet, wandering in and out of the aisles when she felt like it, asking for carrots, and head rubs. for $150 dollars a month “diamond” lived a happy life, including regular vet care, and monthly trims. everyone loved on her, and she was a dear old gal.

after two years, this restaurant magnate had his lackey manager contact me and tell me that their budget "just couldn’t support " maintaining diamond any longer. this axxhat had the nerve to suggest that i just put her down and send them the bill.

God, y’all, I just looked at his pic again and wanted to cry. :cry:

I really HOPE one of y’all can take him in. I’ve already got the one rescue I can afford, and he’s going to be arriving in bad shape, so I cannot do two. :frowning:

Just a thought as to I.D… You know that famous team of show jumping brothers who donated a LOT of horses to a certain much-discussed NON-501©(3) over the years… Could this be one of theirs???

[QUOTE=WichitaWaltz;3792991]
There is Beth Underhill from Canada who rode a bay horse named Altair???

One of my favs!!! I actually got to met them at a show in Aiken! She was not showing Altair there, they were on their way to FL and she was just riding him around the grounds.

Is Beth Underhill having hard times? Is this the same one you were thinking of JMJHP?

ETA: I sure hope this guy finds a good home!! He looks like a real sweety! Also looks like w/ some TLC he sure would be handsome![/QUOTE]

No not Beth, the ladies name was Altaire and I don’t remember the horses name. A very sweet horse as I remember.

On Ferdinand… somewhere I read that he was tracked to the slaughter house after being sent to a riding school after he proved unsuccessful as a stud. I seem to remember reading that his original breeders were trying to get him back to give him a proper retirement when they learned the truth :no:. Now if only I could find the article that I read on that… (ETA: http://news.bloodhorse.com/article/17051.htm). Also, Exceller (winner of the 1978 Gold Cup) suffered the same fate in Sweden.

On this horse… since he is Australian. It used to be that some foreign teams had to sell their horses after the Olympics because flying them back was not an option (US team picked up some nice horses that way in the past). It’s not been as common since the 80s, but it could still happen, and it could be this horse was from a lesser known country. Whoever he is, I hope he ends up with a soft place to land.

oddly i was thinking about this topic a couple of days ago… spruce meadows has been putting on all these winter time shows on t.v. and they mention horses that just arent seen anymore in the arenas. these same horses have taken some of these riders to the top… and i have wondered with their short careers as jumpers, what do the top riding people do with all their horses when they can no longer compete… does any know… ?

also i believe it is true about ferdinand… i believe i read an article about the US owners who sold him had contacted the owners in Japan asking for him back… however, he had been sent to slaughter already because he was not a successful stud.

Here’s a little more about Ferdinand, and, hopefully, something positive:
http://www.oldfriendsequine.org/

any update on this guy ? Ex - olympic horse or not he needs a new place and a blanket (or 2 ) and food and and and …

too sad :frowning: