Unlimited access >

Is there such thing as a “fake” no-pressure noseband for showing?

Ok my trainer and barn mates may roll their eyes at me, but I took the noseband off my bridle. I felt like my horse was demonstrating a lot of stubbornness and reluctance about bridling, and removing the noseband fixed it almost instantly (trying different bits did not).

He rides the same with or without one. And given how much easier it makes bridling, I’m happy to school all the time without it. But the problem is showing. We are competing in the hunters, so anything unconventional is a no-go. My trainer even caught me at the in-gate and tightened my noseband because I had it on the loosest hole. I thought that was going to be a good compromise!

I am curious if anyone has encountered products out there that imitate the look of a conventional noseband, but don’t apply pressure or force the jaw closed. I’m almost picturing something with a leather top and elastic bottom?

Your horse goes better with a loose nose band and so your trainer made you tighten it? What is the logic of that? She wanted your horse to go worse? Can’t you just do it up so it’s not tight but also not gaping and dangling? Punch a hole if necessary. Talk to your trainer.

23 Likes

No, he rides the same. The discomfort is only apparent around bridling. I’m sure she just didn’t want me going into the ring looking sloppy. I put the noseband back on the bridle over the cheek piece, for example (it was an early morning!!), so she just tightened it as she fixed that.

Yeah that’s weird

You can be loose with the noseband without looking sloppy

4 Likes

It sounds like the OP put the nose band on over the cheekpieces, which is what the trainer fixed before she went in, and then just “secured” the noseband the way any normal person would, which the OP feels is too tight.

OP, did the horse go on to perform poorly in the class after you trainer fixed your bridle?

3 Likes

Yeah. I’m not seeing the issue here. Just put the bridle on properly and don’t crank it?

Here is an easy sentence to try when someone adjusts your nose band for you “please don’t crank it tightly.” That should suffice.

10 Likes

There might not be an elastic noseband out there on the market, but that doesn’t mean you can’t have one made. Get in touch with any of the custom leather people–Quillin, Tack Shack of Ocala, Nunn Finer all come to mind?–and see what they might be able to do for you.

Have you tried a generously padded noseband? That might be another thing to try.

3 Likes

On our A circuit and the lower local one there was a horse at our barn who was a freaking metronome. Perfect canter absolutely lovely swap whose noseband was always weirdly loose to me ? But he won. Everything.

1 Like

My horse became a lot less fussy about her noseband after she had her teeth done (twice - we had the vet do them and then after she was still having problems, had an equine dentist out). Even if you’ve had them done recently, you might get a second opinion. My horse is also happier in a more anatomical noseband (we’re now using the PS of Sweden pioneer), but I realize that may not be an option for the hunters.

3 Likes

No, it was fine. He rides the same. I don’t have an issue with my trainer tightening the noseband. She didn’t crank it. I think it was just about optics, which I understand. It’s part of competing in the hunters. I am just curious if there is a solution that meets the optics criteria but is more comfortable for my horse. Again, the only evidence he’s uncomfortable is during bridling. But if I can avoid noseband pressure while still riding in a conventional-looking bridle, that would be ideal. There are so many tack options and products out there, I feel like a zero-pressure noseband must be one of them. Or maybe some enterprising individual can create one.

From my experience the judge doesn’t give a care about the tightness of your noseband if he/she puts in a lovely trip.

5 Likes

What does he do during bridling that tells you that putting on the noseband bothers him? I’m having trouble picturing exactly what the problem is.

6 Likes

He opens his mouth like he is yawning and turns his head away. I have to reach up and around and tangle with him a little to get my hand over his nose and hold him still. When I take the bridle off, he does the same turning away and yawning thing before I can put the halter on. He just seems tense and generally reluctant to put his head down. Without the noseband, it’s so easy you could probably bridle him with one hand, and there is no resistance.

I ride at home without one as well. My guy loves a loose noseband. I also shoe in the hunters and I just put the noseband on him loosely and he likes it.

1 Like

That’s helpful info.

Has he done it for as long as you’ve had him or is this a new behavior? I assume he’s up to date on dental - did the dentist have any recommendations?

At what point during bridling does he try to turn away - is it when the noseband touches some particular part of his face? Or does he duck away before it even touches him? Have you tried different methods of bridling?

And I think you said that actually wearing the noseband doesn’t bother him? It’s just when it’s being put on? If so, at what point does he relax and start ignoring it? Does he accept it once the bit is in and the bridle straps adjusted to the correct places on his face? Or does he still protest as it’s being buckled?

Sorry for all the questions but I’m trying to play amateur detective. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I think it’s very possible to put a noseband on loosely without it looking sloppy. I don’t think any judge will care unless the noseband is somehow flopping or flapping around on the horse. You could try elastic or padding but those will both put some sort of pressure on. I’d just fasten it softly and go with that.

The problem of Other People tightening the noseband is real and very hard to fight against. It might be a reason to order a larger noseband that simply doesn’t have holes any tighter than you want it.

3 Likes

In my experience lots of horses do this. They just like to stretch and yawn in and around bridling. Some like to stretch when you girth up. I’m not sure this behavior is so concerning. Maybe someone in the past cranked it too tight on him

6 Likes

I have one that does the same as OP is describing if he is wearing a noseband. Nosebands do put pressure around the bridge of the nose and the poll if they’re fastened (and the tighter they are, the more pressure), the yawning is a natural release of tension. I also notice that he doesn’t want to rub his head immediately after if there is no noseband.

My discipline requires nosebands, so I just school without one and keep it loose for lessons, clinics, and shows.

Whatever works! Some do have a preference, some don’t. My other horse doesn’t care at all.

P.S I also am guilty of having a (larger than necessary) noseband on this horse that can’t go any tighter than I want. The fight against preventing professionals from cranking it up – clinicians, trainers, instructors – is real! I even had a really unpleasant experience at a clinic a few years ago because the BNT told me they wouldn’t help me if I didn’t “strap his mouth shut”.

6 Likes

A friends mare used to do the same exact thing.

She would yawn several times when she saw her bridle coming. You had to wait until she had her yawns before bridling. She did the same thing after the bridle was removed.

My friend said her mare was diagnosed by her Veterinarian with TMJ.

Maybe your horse has that or something similar?

If you can afford an Antares Origin bridle, the leather is super soft. Like butter. Maybe check one out.

Good luck!!