Unlimited access >

Is there such thing as a “fake” no-pressure noseband for showing?

I don’t see much of anyone tacked up like this in my area. There’s always going to be a jerk or two out there but this is not typical here.

1 Like

I did try rubbing the area around his poll this morning, and he dropped his head and shut his eyes. So maybe it is TMJ, or at any rate tension in that area that is aggravated by the noseband looping under the crown piece. That does make the solution a lot more obvious, since it seems like there are bridles that are designed to avoid that.

1 Like

I agree that it is potentially an issue of tension in the poll or even the TMJ. My chiropractor recommended massaging these areas for a minute or so before bridling to help release tension.

I would recommend watching this video, she does a really good job explaining the different parts of a bridle, how they interact with the horses head and affect it’s comfort, and gives recommendations for different bridles.

I do the same thing. We school at home without a noseband and when I have to show in one I put it on SUPER loose. I dont think it flops around in a distracting way either when its on loose.

I school with no noseband, and have never had any issue adding a loose noseband when needed for rules. The horses get exposure to nosebands in halters, longeing cavessons, side pulls, bosals, mechanical hackamores.

I’ve never seen any poll pressure with a snaffle bridle and no or loose noseband. You get poll pressure with crank and flash, or standing martingale or perhaps a running martingale. And indeed a rope halter on a prancy horse.

2 Likes

Yay!!! They will respond quickly to our intention to hear them.
And the best part is how in-tuned you are with knowing your horse is telling you something!!! Sounds like you may end up shopping but take the time of help him let it go too…he’s already thankful:)

If you have a noseband with good keepers, don’t buckle it and just push it through the keepers. Unless he tosses his head or fusses while on course, the keepers should keep it in place. Just slide it through the buckle, but don’t put the holder piece through a hole. If maybe take a bandaid or a piece of brown tape and tape the buckle part so it doesn’t poke him. I’d definitely do a few test drives at home before busting this out at the ol’ horse show.

1 Like

Horse goes fine in a noseband done up properly. It’s just offensive during the bridling process. Which suggests to me the issue is the bridling process and not the tack

5 Likes

OP, can you please explain in detail how exactly you bridle your horse? I’m extremely confused as to how a horse could/would resist bridling only when there is a cavesson attached to the bridle. The cavesson/noseband should be unbuckled when you’re putting the bridle on or off, making the basic process identical to how it would go if there were no noseband at all…

2 Likes