Unlimited access >

It is time. Our sweet family pony…

Maggie the pony is 28 and has lived with Cushings for 6 years. Her dose increased again at the beginning of winter (1 and a 1/2 per day). We’ve hard a rough eight months. She’s suffered from many infections because of her dampened immune system. She spent time in the hospital last summer from an GI infection. Three more infections have been treated at home. We kept her from foundering twice. The latest infection is another sinus infection. After a long talk with the vet, we’re treating her with antibiotics to clear it up for comfort, but we’re looking for a good day to say goodbye. Sometimes it isn’t a crisis that brings them down. Sometimes it’s just health issue after health issue with not as many good days to offset the bad.

We’ve had Maggie the Shetland Pony since she was nine years old. She’s truly a family pony that has raised two kids. The oldest is about to graduate from college. She has been a Scottish Games Shetland Pony mascot. A book pony (book giveaway and kids reading to her), a cart pony, a pack pony, and a good friend. We are working with our vet to select a day and time to release her into that pain-free perpetual pasture.

55 Likes

I am so very sorry.
Such an adorable pony.
Sounds like both pony and family have had lots of fun adventures.

3 Likes

Gentle passing, sweet girl. She knows she’s loved, and there will be tears in honor of the memories she’s made with your family.

5 Likes

She’s a beautiful girl.
And what a LIFE! she’s had with you.
Wishing you & Maggie a peaceful end to an amazing career :broken_heart:

5 Likes

What a beautiful pony!
I’m so sorry for your loss.

1 Like

She is quite a pony! I’ve really enjoyed reading about her here. She’s had a long and happy life with her family.
Sending jingles and hugs to you all for a good day when it comes.

2 Likes

Hugs

1 Like

Hugs to you and your family.

1 Like

So sorry to hear it’s time. She’s a darling girl. You gave her a wonderful life. Please take comfort in that.
Run free, precious Maggie. :kissing_heart:

3 Likes

The final act of love is taking their pain and making it our own. :broken_heart:

Maggie has lived an amazing life with you. Godspeed good pony!

9 Likes

Hugs to you and I’m so sorry for your loss.

Cushings is the worst disease for those oldie but goldie’s.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry. You couldn’t have given her a better life.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry, it’s so hard saying goodbye to such a good friend. Hugs to you :heart:

2 Likes

Thank you for putting her welfare above your feelings. It hurts, but “this it be right”.

6 Likes

I’m so sorry. She is adorable and it’s every animal’s best life to be loved so greatly. She is a lucky girl to have you.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry you’re dealing with this, but thank you for doing right by the pony that raised your kiddos and putting her first.

She seems like one of those golden ponies that make kids fall in love with the horse. Good girl, Maggie!

Give her a pat and a cookie for me if you can 🩵 thank you for sharing her with us.

3 Likes

<-
She has a larger version newly waiting to meet her so they can explore the bridge together.

6 Likes

So very sorry. Sounds like Maggie has led a wonderful life with you and now she gets the reward of a passing surrounded by those who have adored her. It also sounds like you’ve done an amazing job of managing her condition. I have two Welsh ponies with Cushings and I share your pain.

Giant hugs to you and Maggie.

2 Likes

So sorry for your loss, too. {{{Hugs}}} :cry:

2 Likes

I’m so sorry. She’s had an amazing life with you, though.

By choosing the day, you’ll have the peace of knowing that her last day wasn’t her worst day.

5 Likes