Unlimited access >

Ivermectin $$

Four years ago a tube was $2.89. Two years ago it was about $4. Now? Three tubes for over $50, coming with a warning that it’s for worming horses, not for treating COVID!

SMH!

2 Likes

Dover has generic 1.87% ivermectin paste for $7.95/tube and in stock.

My TSC has it available for order/pick up in store for $8.99/tube, I’d imagine other TSCs have this option too.

Riding Warehouse and Smartpak are both currently out of stock but expecting more at the beginning of February, in the $7-$8/tube range.

4 Likes

We can’t get any in stock. Its all on long term backorder. No issued with ZG or Equimax though.

1 Like

I felt lucky at our last de-worming cycle that we had given ivermectin the cycle before, so I got to use something different in the height of covid ivermectin usage. Disappointing to hear it’s still an issue. What is wrong with people?! ugh.

I did have a co-worker ask if he could buy some off of me at one point. Hard No, buddy. Hard. No.

9 Likes

I couldn’t find any at my local TSC, I could order it but it was $30/tube with shipping. I found the same on Amazon for $27 and free shipping. It won’t be here until February though.

1 Like

My local TSC has it locked up in the cabinet with the other high dollar merch.

3 Likes

Better get used to shortages and increase in prices on every d—- thing. It’s the way of the post Covid world — if we can consider us in “post” covid​:zipper_mouth_face::zipper_mouth_face:

3 Likes

Kind of like how after 2008 things like fuel surchages never went away, even when fuel dropped back down to the lowest prices in decades.

Or how workplaces slashed staff and benefits in 2008, never returned them when the economy recovered a few years later, and now wonder why people are fed up and quitting.

15 Likes

Valley Vet has ivermectin as low as $7.49 a tube for Zimecterin Gold

https://www.valleyvet.com/c/horse-supplies/horse-wormers/paste-wormer-equine/ivermectin-horse-wormers.html

2 Likes

My local TSC can’t keep plain ivermectin in stock and my other feed store can’t get it from their suppliers. At least the locals won’t have intestinal worms, if they don’t manage to poison themselves. I ended up buying Equimax which is Ivermectin plus something else. It’ll have to do for this year.

2 Likes

All of the plain ivermectin options have “** marked items are currently not available.” if you click into the listings. There is one of the multi packs that has two tubes of ivermectin included with other things, for $42. I just paid $17/tube for Equimax, this would have been a better deal.

1 Like

You might want to pause on the Zimectrin Gold. A lot of injured and dead horses thanks to that. I was responsible for one of them. Ulcerated not only her mouth but her stomach and intestines. She had a violent colic and her owners had to put her down; in retrospect she probably could have recovered, but she was older and to her owners weren’t the most knowledgeable nor did anyone realize what happened. ZG was still pretty new then.

Equimax is a much safer option.

I don’t know how or why it’s still on the market. They added a warning label, which I think is hilarious.

6 Likes

I haven’t looked at ivermectin lately but I have one of the old-fashioned tubes that I overpaid at about 4.00. Maybe I should auction it off.

Every time ivermectin was on the news the fact that it is for horses was briefly mentioned. Nothing much about what it is used for. Nothing about the strength or dosage. Everyone seemed to be focused on “ivermectin,” not a “deworming drug for horses.” I’m listening to the TV now and the commentator just said that ivermectin is still being pushed for Covid instead of the vaccines. I don’t think I ever heard it described as killing parasites in horses, not viruses in people.

I talked to a rep about dewormers about 5 years ago at Equine Affaire. She told me about Durvet and the apple flavor. My horse liked it - he didn’t spit it out. Equimax was developed because of the problems some horses were having Zimecterin. I’m doing Equimax and Quest Plus in the spring and fall. I was giving him ivermectin in July. He was a heavy shedder but a fecal last summer came back as low shedder. We moved to another barn a year ago and it doesn’t have the mud he used to live in.

1 Like

Yes, it was time to worm for tapeworms anyway, so I used something else. It’s just stupid people are poisoning themselves and we can’t get the stuff to use as directed without paying through the nose.

1 Like

A small funny aside about Durvet ivermectin. It’s manufactured about 1/2 hour from where I live. It is cheaper for me to buy it from the US, where it’s been shipped from Ontario to wherever in the US and then distributed to a retailer, than for me to buy it here in Ontario where it’s made :woman_facepalming:

3 Likes

I do not want to a get into a debate on Covid here… lol!
It should be noted though that ivermectin has been used for decades in Africa to treat several particularly nasty human parasites, onchocerciasis (river blindness) in particular. In some countries upwards of 65% of the rural human population is on an annual dose of ivermectin.
Now that does not mean one should run around eating the stuff! But, straight ivermectin isn’t bad for people. It just isn’t a great way to treat Covid.
It is actually a rather interesting drug though with all sorts of applications.
Edit: Straight ivermectin in human sized doses isn’t bad. Let me be clear on that! Mixed with stuff in horse dewormer at horse dose is Bad!

2 Likes

Isn’t that usually the case? If the Durvet didn’t have enough apple flavor they put it in different box. Still Durvet, but it was cheaper, didn’t say it was apple flavored. I don’t know if they still do that. I keep my eyes open.

I found some CDB salve at my local feed store to try on my horse’s knee. Way too expensive for the horse, so the vet told me to use it on my own arthritis. It works. It was $10 cheaper than the manufacturer’s website.

1 Like

Ivermectin is also a human drug and safe and effectively treats parasites, but it hasn’t been shown to work for covid. Unfortunately, it has been pushed by a loud minority, most of whom are not medical professionals, and since equine ivermectin doesn’t require a prescription or doctor visit and most(*) doctors will not prescribe ivermectin for covid, gullible people are taking horse dewormer instead of the human version and therefore there’s not enough left for the horses.

(*)a very small but also unfortunately vocal minority of doctors are prescribing ivermectin in the absence of evidence it works, which is a whole ‘nother can of worms.

2 Likes

I was in my local Co-op today (01-22-22). They had two boxfuls of pure Ivermectin.

One by Merck? The other by Durvet. I didn’t see the price of either, however.

I picked up some QuestPlus for spring de-worming —— just in case there’s a shortage of that when I need it, lollol

BTW, why was Safeguard the only dewormer with a note on the box that said “locked at the counter if you need it”?. What is so special about SafeGuard?

I didn’t ask them because I was buying other stuff and they were busier than the dickens.

1 Like

Glad I read this thread, as I haven’t been paying attention. Equimax was sold out in several places, but TSC appears to have it ($4 more than sites that are sold out), so I ordered enough for my herd even though I don’t need it for a couple months. We’ll see if it ships. If not, ValleyVet has a notify button for when it comes available.

1 Like