Unlimited access >

Jingles for Duncan

So Duncan is in the hospital with a very bad urinary blockage.

I noticed he was not his usual self last night and this morning was trying to pee and nothing would come out but a couple of dribbles. So off to the vet he went and they just called me and said his bladder was moderately full of urine but there was so much sediment/? in there it looked like a snow globe. The urine they got from him she said actually felt gritty to her. She is not sure whether this is stones or crystals. The got a bit of urine from him but now he is completely blocked. Plus he has a grade 2/6 heart murmur. They are going to catherize him, place a tube and keep him for two nights. I should be able to take him home on Sunday if all goes well. He is on a boatload of painkillers.

I took him to his regular vet on Tuesday for his thyroid and diabetes follow up and he got a clean bill of health. What the hell happened between Tuesday night and Thursday night? That poor boy.
Lots of jingles please. I am very worried about him. His 15th birthday is coming up on 7/5. I hope we don’t have to do surgery.

12 Likes

Sending loads of jingles. Poor guy, good thing you caught it so quickly. I wonder if the stress of the last visit might have triggered something.

1 Like

Jingles for poor Duncan and for you. I hope his issues can be resolved soon and won’t require surgery. Take care!

1 Like

Jingles for Duncan!

1 Like

Jingling for Duncan!

2 Likes

Jingles from everyone here!

2 Likes

Lots of jingles for your boy!

2 Likes

Jingling for Duncan and you!

1 Like

Jingles and hugs! I hope he feels better tomorrow. :heart:

2 Likes

Jingles for Duncan, and hugs for you.

2 Likes

Fingers crossed!

1 Like

Jingles & AO for your beloved Duncan !

3 Likes

I’m so sorry! I hope he recovers without the surgery and feels much better soon!

Jingles for you and Duncan.

2 Likes

Big jingles for Duncan. And prayers, if that’s OK with you.

2 Likes

Hope Duncan feels better soon.

1 Like

Humongous Jingles for Duncan & you :bell::bell::bell:

I just went through this with my Cheeto cat last week. His 3rd episode of probable FIC/FLUTD in 2yrs.
Exactly as you described - 100% A-OK all day Wednesday, then that night appeared uncomfortable & searching for a place to pee.
Off to the vet as soon as they opened Thursday, catheterized, x-rayed (soft mass, no stone), bloody urine when expressed…
And same finding of possible heart murmur - that I’m putting down to stress, as he never had this on any previous visit.
Ended with a 3-day stay & now he (& other cat) are on Hills C/D dry & can. Mixing with their OTC Iams urinary dry successfully, but the canned is hit or miss & (of course) that’s needed more.
Neither cat was a fan of anything canned before.
What seems to help is nuking briefly & topping with a sprinkle of a probiotic.
$$$$ later - thanks, Care Credit :roll_eyes: - I’m trying everything to get the wet stuff in him.
And this cat is only 7 :pouting_cat:
Sorry for the book :frowning:

3 Likes

Sending more jingles and hoping for improvement.

1 Like

I got to take him home yesterday as he had peed a good amount voluntarily at vet. Told to keep an eye on him and confine him to small space. He had a lousy night the poor thing. Just lots of bloody dribble and 4 hand sized spots on soft bedding of bloody urine. Threw up entire dinner. He was miserable. Off to vet this morning as they told me he needed to have his kidney values checked. Vet said that as long as he is peeing even though it is tiny amounts and very bloody that this is better than nothing and she did not feel need to traumatize his little penis with a catheterization which in her opinion would make it worse. So home he went. And has not eaten and is just laying there. He will get up to dribble but is just so miserable. Gave him some cerenia and hopefully that will help his tummy. Vet wants me to check in with her tomorrow and we are going to take it day by day. He is on his regular meds of insulin,thyroid and prozac and now has gabapentin, prazosoin, omnisor (steroid) and now cerenia and mirtazapine. I think I will ask vet for more pain killer tomorrow because I don’t think the gaba is cutting it.

This is my $15k cat now worth nearly $17k. He has had this problem in the past and wound up being hospitalized for 10 days so I hope we don’t need to go there again.

And now have to buy urinary food at what like a zillion dollars a case because I have to put his brother on it as well since they both have bladder issues (of course they do because why not?)

Which all means that I have to commit to staying at a job I hate so much it makes me speechless. Plus this well/housing stress and commute and all the other things that go with. I want my kitty to be well. His misery is my misery. Even though he is the cat that makes me crazy I would not know what to do without him. His brother Jack would be heartbroken. I want to cry.

Thank you for reading. Thank you for jingles - he needs them.

@2DogsFarm - poor ol’ Cheeto! I hope he feels better soon. Tell him that even the food is not great he needs to eat it to feel better. I’m jingling for him that that experience is not repeated any time soon. What is it about yellow cats and urinary issues?

11 Likes

Continued hugs and jingles! Poor Duncan - and poor you. Did the vet say to do subQ’s for him, to keep things flushed out? I would definitely think about that.

When Sammy had urinary issues, his urine basically turned to sludge, then cement. I didn’t know a penile amputation was a possibility until it was too late, and I’m not sure even that would have saved him, but it’s something to keep in mind.

Yes, he will get 50 ml fluids tonight. And last vet said that if this happened again then he would have to get that operation where they would reconstruct the “plumbing.” But it’s been at last 10 years since last episode soooo…They can’t tell at this point if it’s crystals or what in there but vet did say it was a LOT of grit. We are hoping he can express this normally and not have to go to surgery.

About this time I am wishing for a Planned Pethood and Dr Jeff in this area. Because there goes my Smudge money. And might-have-to-move money. Sh**

1 Like