Unlimited access >

Jingles for Duncan

Fingers crossed Duncan feels better! By the way, since you’re changing them over to a urinary support food, have you checked their water? Our tap water here is very hard, so our vet warns everyone about it as it can contribute to kidney problems. Water treated with water softener is also bad for kidneys.

4 Likes

I had to put everyone on bottled water because the water coming out of the well right now is crap. It’s loaded with dirt and lord knows what else and is undrinkable. I will have to clean out my shower head, faucet ends and any other filters in the house. Cats all love the bottled water. Well why not - it costs enough.

he drank about half a bowl last night after he came home. Right now I am trying to figure out what he will eat that will tempt him and stay down.

1 Like

Will he eat wet food if you crush 1-2 pieces of dry food with a pill crusher and sprinkle it on top of the wet?

He is banned from any more dry food ever. He is used to eating canned but he would get a handful of dry at night because he loved it so. No more of that. So will try to get maybe some Tiki chicken mousse in his head.

1 Like

Good luck! I do not miss the cat food struggles.

1 Like

((((HUGS)))) to you and Duncan. I’m so sorry you’re going through this. It’s hard and stressful and it sucks. Sending all good vibes that he’ll get past this and feel better soon. :heart:

1 Like

Hugs to you and Duncan. It’s such a helpless feeling when our animals are sick. You want to absorb their pain.

1 Like

Sometimes cats who are refusing to eat need to be hand fed a little. I’ve had to do that a few times through the years. There was something about getting a little food into them that then sparked their appetite. Didn’t work always, but many times it helped.

As an experienced cat mom, I’m sure you have your own method, but I just used the typical pill-giving method. Left hand over top of head to open upper jaw with thumb and middle finger. Right hand thumb and middle finger opening lower jaw, with index finger inserting the food.

Holding you both close in my thoughts.

2 Likes

Decades ago I had a cat who had that operation, and he did fine.

Jingles that he recovers without it, but good that you have surgery as a fallback .

1 Like

Poor babiy. I hope you both get some relief soon. Jingles on their way.

1 Like

First Blue Ribbon for your cat care ~ they are blessed to have you as their owner !

Bottled water helped many of mine ! * makes knowing how much they drink easier if confined for rest & medication purposes - great plan !

((hugs)) & Jingles & AO for dear Duncan and his wonderful owner ~ hoping Sunday is a boring, rest & recovery day for ALL ~

6 Likes

{{{HUGS!!}}} For you & Duncan.

:flushed: IIWM (& it was) I’d ask vet to Cath him ASAP.
Cheetos “manpart” was swollen from him chewing & the procedure, but back to normal in ~3 days. And the relief from his distended bladder was immediate.

Yeah, the pricy RX food is a Royal pain-in-the-pocketbook for me. But if I warm the canned stuff he eats a spoonful 2X a day.
Not the 4 :dizzy_face: cans the label suggests, but at least it’s ate.
The dry stuff is now 2/3 of the ration & no problems there.
I’m feeding 2 also, but really no other option.

:pray: You & Duncan get some relief soon.

2 Likes

Actually had an ok night. Slept well, finally got some food in his head. He voluntarily ate half a Temptations Creamy Purree then I crammed the rest of it in his head. I guess that sparked his appetite because he ate the serving of Sheba chicken I gave him. Lots of quarter sized pee spots in box and also all over floor (sigh…clean up on aisle 7) so his output has increased. Still very bloody looking though. His attitude is so much brighter. He was rather chatty this morning and took a walk around the house before deciding he was tired and retreating to bathroom. Also did not help that both Bonnie and Jack hissed at him. Wretches.

Vent: started calling vet office as requested at noon and never did get through, just kept getting the answering machine. Left a message and still never heard back. That’s annoying and to me, unprofessional. You need a dedicated receptionist and one who will work weekends. Not this text us or leave a message crap. So i have to start pestering them tomorrow before I go to work. I am a bit worried about leaving him tomorrow all day as I amm out of house from 11a to 10 or 1030p. And I cannot take any more time off or I will be canned.

But I will take perky Duncan over sicky Duncan any day and today was overall not bad. Cross your fingers for more forward progress!

13 Likes

Good news at last. Sending more jingle jangles so he can continue to improve.

1 Like

Continued jingles! Hope he keeps doing better!

1 Like

More jingles from the West Coast.

1 Like

Oh, he has perked up. We had an opinion on not being allowed out of the bathroom. We had an opinionn about breakfast (still not eaten just the gravy licked off and the greenie I put on top as a garnish eaten) and an opinion about the medications. Has decided that sulking is the way to go.

He is still peeing andhas progressed to slightly larger than a quarter almost marble sized pees. He did scare me about 430a when I came in to go pee and there was nothing in the box or bed or floor. I thought I would see what happened. About 5 I heard him in the box and when I came in about 8 hehad trashed the bathroom. Pee everywhere - mostly smallish puddles with blood but 3 large puddles in his bed where the 50cc of fluid had worked it way thru him. Got home early (guess who might have covid :rage:) and bathroom wrecked again.

Updated both vets; attending says to keep doing what we are currently doing and take it day by day. Both want daily updates.

Now to go in and get Mr Stinky to eat. He hates the food he needs to eat so I am looking for another renal diet. May have to return to CD as he will eat that and if not, I can at least jam that down his throat.

I forgot; He gave me a bit of a scare last night. I opened the door to come in and he barged past me and made a beeline for the crunchy dish. At least i was able to grab him before he got any in his head. He was literally going in for the “kill” with his mouth open when I snatched him up. He was not pleased. Tough.

10 Likes

I’m happy to hear Duncan is progressing in the right direction, albeit slowly. Not happy at all to hear that you are not feeling well.

Will your job let you stay home without risking future employment? I’m assuming if you test positive for Covid they wouldn’t have a choice.

Please try to do all the right things for you - get enough sleep, try to force fluids and healthy food down. We need to keep you well to help Mr. Duncan get well.

Sending lots of hugs and jingles. :kissing_heart:

4 Likes

Thank goodness for MR Tylenol and Mr Motrin. And plus the fact that I work at what I jokingly call teh covid factory I hear all the advice the nurses give out so can use that. Going now to feed the horde, have me some nice hot tea and go to bed. At least I get test results tomorrow so I have another day off. But man they are going to kick my ass when i get back. So I need to suck it up. I don’t want to be sick or have 10 days off this way. yuck yuck ick

1 Like

Do you by any chance qualify for Paxlovid? My still dear ex-DH was eligible. He still felt relatively horrible for 4-5 days but started slowly improving a lot after that. :heart:

1 Like