Unlimited access >

Keeneland Breeding sale

I fully understand the desire for the Japanese to have American horses. I am just shocked that Bloom decided to let her go

Why?

meanwhile the American TB industry continues to report declines in mares bred, starters in the gate, and tracks closing every year. I admire the Japanese for finding what they want and not shying at a single dollar to spend to get what they want. This is why I admire people like Jane Lyon and Benke. They appreciate all the excitement of elite runners on the track but still understand and vehemently support the value of keeping elite bloodlines here and producing; and support the breeding industry with great enthusiasm. There is something to be said for what those ladies are doing and successfully at that.

Not every breeder wants or can keep them forever
and sometimes breeders are getting up there in years and want to downsize while they can control where the mares go and not stick their often non horsey heirs with disposing of their equine assets. Or carry on the ever increasing cost of keeping and breeding. Thats why theres fewer mares being bred, too expensive and fewer places to keep them.

Nothing to do with a “declining “ US TB breeding industry, more about a deeper buyer pool not centered in just a few areas of a single country.

Didn’t hurt Midnite Bisou is carrying a baby by a leading stud whose son blew everybody away ,never be worth more then she is now and what score for the Japanese breeders. Win win all around.

2 Likes

Beautiful Midnight Lute mare, Midnight Fantasy, in foal to Quality Road 500K

Do you mean Barbara Banke? if so, she has sold at least on horse directly to Japan and when Stonestreet consigns their horses to public auction the Japanese and European breeders can buy them just as easily as anyone else.

Bloom and partners sold her in 2020 to partner Chuck Allen, who bought them out for 5M.

1 Like

It sounds as if the person who bought a share of Flightline is not one of the big time breeders, but someone who has “8-10 mares” and wants to “make a splash”.

From Keeneland; “(The buyer) just called and said, ‘I really want to make a big splash and get involved a little more in the business,’ ” said Seitz, who was on the phone with the buyer during the bidding. “I did not expect (the price) to go that high. It was pretty exciting. When you’re dealing with top quality, you’ve got to pay. (The buyer) did not give me that kind of figure going in. I could tell once (the bidding) started maybe we were going to keep going. I was a little more nervous than he was. He and his family were watching. I think they were having a really good time".

1 Like

Lovely Not This Time weanling out of a Scat Daddy mare 290K hammer.

1 Like

Missed the sale today.
Hoping to catch a bit of it tomorrow in between driving on/off all day & multiple appointments.
Dang life getting in the way of my fun LOL

1 Like

I’ll miss most of tomorrow’s for the same. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Saffron Beach sold for 3,600,000 guineas (roughly $6,480,000) at the Tattersalls December Mare Sales. She will remain in training with Jane Chapple-Hyam for her new owner.

4-time G1 winner Alcohol Free sold a few lots later for 5,400,000 guineas (about $9,700,000), which I think makes her the most expensive horse sold at auction this year.

1 Like

Just to note, we have a Stone Street bred mare and the papers have on them to the effect to contact them if the horse ends up needing a home.

2 Likes

That’s nice. I would expect that from Stonestreet.

I was happy to see that.