Keep or sell trailer - WWYD?

I have a horse trailer that I’m not using (currently horseless and will not be getting another horse for at least four years). I can’t keep storing it where it currently is and really don’t want to pay the $150+/month it would cost to store it somewhere like a nearby RV storage lot. I’m tempted to sell it as it’d be nice to have some extra money before starting vet school.

However, I know I want another horse someday and will need a trailer. I also bought this trailer from a friend at an absolute steal of a deal. The trailer is nothing fancy, but it’s safe and in good condition. I’ve seen trailers of the same make and model and of similar age and condition listed online for more than I paid for this one years ago. I’m hesitant to sell it now only to have to buy another one for more than I paid for this one.

WWYD? Any good ideas for places that might store it more cheaply?

What will it cost to do a refurbishment? Eventually trailers need re-work on wiring, maybe door hinges, details like the rubber caulking, and so forth.

What is your climate like, and your storage area? Will the lower frame stay in good shape over time if it is not in use (or if it is)? How is the paint holding up? Including top of the trailer where it is not so visible (that can be some of the first to show wear due to wind friction).

And a new set of tires and a check of the bearings, which goes for all trailers of course. But if it sits for a while before use these are likely to be necessary, and could run $1.5k when both tires and bearings have to be done.

Trailer prices are such that it might be worthwhile to refurbish this one when you are ready to use it.

I suggest taking it to the best trailer mechanic you know and get an opinion there. My best mechanic kept my very old but wonderful trailer going for years, until the day he said “I cannot take your money, it is time for a new-to-you trailer”. :slight_smile:

I did find a great replacement trailer (‘used’ dealer model) and donated the old one to a high school shop program. They re-framed and refurbished to sell to benefit the program. Something that was not cost-effective for me to do for hard use.

4 Likes

I’d sell it. Storing it for 4 years is $$. Plus keeping up with any rust, dry rotted tires, rodents, etc.

13 Likes

Here’s a way to think of it … in 4 years, given the imaginary trailer and price options that will exist then (add 20% and minimal upgrades to the current market), is this the trailer you would buy, including the cost of the work it will need by then? Or would you buy something else?

If it wouldn’t be this one, sell it. Let it go and be useful for someone else who will have it in work over the next 4 years.

We are not meant to be keepers of things that are not being used. Things are destined to go forward to the next person that they can benefit, instead of sitting idle in storage.

Or so I’ve been told. :wink:

15 Likes

12 months x 4 years x $150 is $7200.

48 months x $50 is still $2400.

The cheapest place to store vehicles is for free at the back of a friend’s property but there is no guarantee they won’t deteriorate there.

It sounds like you are not likely to be back into horses until you finish vet school. By that point hopefully you will be exiting school into a higher income bracket than you are now in. You also don’t know where you will end up living or what opportunities might show themselves after you graduate.

From my experience in grad school, it’s not a bad idea to unburden yourself of all the things that will be a drain on cash or need attention. I even got by with no car in grad school. I got rid of my heavier furniture when I paid per pound to move cross country.

I don’t think spending $7000 to store it for 4 years is a useful expense.

16 Likes

Sell.

You can’t possibly foresee where you will be in several years to say you could use that trailer then?
Chances are slim if and when you may need a trailer and which kind and if that one will still be serviceable without lots of maintenance.
All that makes a possible asset to sell now a better choice than betting it will be just what you can use then without needing much work on it.

Now is a good time in life to unencumber yourself from things that tie you down, enjoy! :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Another vote for selling. It sounds like you’ll make some money selling it. Put that cash into an account where it might earn some interest. You’ll have it for an emergency if necessary, and if not it can be the basis for buying another trailer when you’re back to owning a horse. Best of luck and thank you for going to vet school!

9 Likes

Agree! Even a high yield savings account where you can dump that money and forget about it will give you a nice cushion for later.

If it was just a year, I’d say keep the trailer. But 4 years is a long time, and trailers aren’t maintenance free - especially when they’re sitting.

1 Like

Another vote for selling. Used trailers are being sold at an all time high.

Just make sure you won’t damage a relationship by doing so - I wouldn’t be “asking” the friend if it’s alright if I sell the trailer at market value, but I’d be willing to throw a couple hundo their way if they really did basically give you the trailer as a “thanks!”

3 Likes

And fwiw, depending on circumstances of course, it is quite likely that you won’t immediately need a trailer when you next buy a horse – whenever that is.

Starting a new career doesn’t usually include hitting the show circuit on frequent weekends. When you do need/want transport, which may not be often for your early horse ownership period, you can trailer with others or hire transport.

As was said in other posts above, it may be a few more years after vet school before you are deep into horse ownership and horse sport again.

There are many reasons to sell and it’s hard to justify keeping it, all in all.

3 Likes

I do agree that $7200 is a LOT to spend on something you aren’t using…however…maybe you can find a place for free or someone to borrow it in the mean time? I say that because I sold my trailer years ago when I bred my mare because I wasn’t going to use it and I could use the money, as well as not spend the money on storage…then one thing happened after another and 12 years later I still don’t have a trailer.

While my friend lets me borrow hers all the time, I would prefer my own over having to ask every time…maybe one day…

So, if you cannot find a free/low cost place to keep it where it isn’t likely to rot (to much), then I would do that. Otherwise, sell it.

2 Likes

Sell the trailer to get out from under the cost of keeping it. Invest as was suggested, make money on the sale money. You will have the saved cash as a safety net going forward into higher education.

Trailer will not stay “as it is now,” be worth as much later, without spending a fair amount to keep it that way. Just being older will reduce it’s value. Let it go, one less thing to have costing you money. When you get back into horses, you can look for another trailer then. It was great to have, now it needs to go because you have no purpose for it.

4 Likes

Yikes $150/month to store it, and you don’t currently have horses? I’d definitely sell it.

Unless you want to look into providing hauling services, or renting it out, to help cover the cost and keep it in good using condition, it’s not worth paying to store it just for it to deteriorate waiting for you to have need for it again. Does the idea of paying more to buy a trailer again in five years suck? Sure. But at that time, you may have a need for a completely different trailer, or still won’t need a trailer at all. It’s not worth holding onto.

1 Like

Sell for sure. Trailers deteriorate without regular use. I kept my truck which I drive pretty regularly and sold my trailer the year I realized the only place I’d taken it in the last year was to get inspected. I miss the idea of having it but not the headaches of having it.

1 Like

I’ve seen trailers of the same make and model and of similar age and condition listed online for more than I paid for this one years ago. I’m hesitant to sell it now only to have to buy another one for more than I paid for this one.

That’s just the reality of the market, though. I sold my truck/trailer around 5 years ago as I thought I was getting out of horses, and what it’s going to cost me makes me feel a little ill. But the new truck/trailer markets are still driving up the used truck/trailer markets, so unfortunately replacement is going to be painful.

But if I had banked the money I made from selling the trailer, and then banked what storage would have cost for the last five years or so, even in the current market I’d have been easily able to buy a similar or better trailer – without having to have dealt with the hassle of owning a trailer I wasn’t using in the interim.

So that would be my recommendation. Accept that you’re likely going to pay more to replace it, but instead of keeping the trailer, keep the money you’d have been spending on it off to the side until you are ready to buy again.

3 Likes

Plus, you don’t really know where you will be in five years, maybe married with kids, or in another country or continent, or your circumstances not where you can/want to go back to horses and decide to wait some more years before horses and where you may need a trailer.

So many unknowns make it hard to decide if to sell trailer now, if later, or if it still be an asset you want any time later, when now it’s cost to own, even if bought low, is substantial.

I just did truck and trailer maintenance. Nothing big, new front tires, shocks, etc. Truck didn’t need much last year. However even averaged out, I could call our best local hauler to go to shows, clinics, vet office, etc as much as anyone could ever need, for less than my maintenance bills.

I have the rig for trail riding and camping back country.

When I get out of town, I see so many properties littered with old trailers and trucks slowly rotting. Things don’t really keep value.

My truck obviously has more maintenance than a trailer but you can’t use a trailer without a truck, and you might not exit vet school with a big truck either.

2 Likes

I am contemplating the same except I still have my horse. She is older (22). I am currently lame (and have been for most of the last 10 years) and am currently my 94 yo mother’s caregiver. I think in the last 5 years, I have only hauled her to the vet like 3 times. Oh, I did move barns 3 years ago so used it then. One vet visit was an urgent/emergency visit. I am contemplating selling both truck and trailer. I did a search on COTH and on a thread regarding this issue the people that still had a horse or horses and no trailer said don’t do it.

If I did not have the horse it would be gone really fast. I am unable to detail mine myself and have not been successful in finding anybody to do it. The fiberglass really needs to be sealed with a good product. So right now, it is a pain in the butt that I would like to be rid of. If you can’t put your trailer under shelter, it is going to weather. The sun is killer on finishes and tires.

I would definitely take the money if you are headed to vet school. For sure. Take the money.

Susan

1 Like

For random keep-or-sell queries by a current horse owner, i’d say it depends on your transportation options locally.

Is there someone you can count on to haul at need? Are you boarding with a barn who will transport your horse to shows and activities?

Are there trustworthy local haulers who are good, reliable and reasonably priced?

Does your vet do farm calls? Does your vet do emergency farm calls? If not, are you with a boarding stable that would do the necessary?

if you can hire it done, and don’t need it done all that frequently, personally I would not keep a trailer.

Thank you for the questions to ask. I will check with the barn and the vet. At this point in life (68), it would be nice to be out from under so many vehicles. The truck is 9 years old and has a whopping 16K miles on it. I really like to drive it but what a waste. I currently drive it once a week whether it needs it or not.
Susan