Unlimited access >

Kennel name help

I’m looking for ideas for a kennel name. I can’t use something already being used. Looking for something unique, but not outlandish. Easy to remember, but not common.
I will breed cavalier king charles and probably pugs. I searched and thought about options, but none of them seem to sound good. :upside_down_face:

Woof Hall?
The War of the Noses?

3 Likes

sounds good! what do you think about Noble Tails?

2 Likes

What will you do with the dogs? Will the kennel name be part of the dogs’ names? What is common for those breeds?

Personally I don’t like Noble Tails as part of a dog’s name. It’s to goofy. If I owned and competed with an offspring, I wouldn’t love that name. If you used only “Noble” as part of the registered name, it might be different.

2 Likes

I will go to shows and I will breed them. Yes, the kennel name will be part of the dog’s name. Cavaliers are affectionate, playful, gentle . Pugs have a great charm, stable temperament.
The other kennels I know have so good names , but I lack inspiration :sweat_smile:

Have you researched your chosen breeds? Cavaliers are lovely but have a fair number of issues to screen for before breeding - and some that are not easily detected at a young age. And Pugs, in addition to the breathing issues you might expect, have more difficulty giving birth and require more c-sections than average.

5 Likes

Yes, i’ve researched and know all about them.

1 Like

I have purebred dogs and show them in conformation; I am very involved in my breed at the regional and national level. I own only males and while they are used for breeding, I haven’t established my own kennel name, although some people do, and use it in their naming convention.

Do you have any dogs at this time?

1 Like

At this moment no. I’m waiting for the breeders I talked with to have litters. One of them have a litter but they are only 5 weeks and I’m waiting to see if the puppy will be good for show&breeding.

do you have some ideas? :sweat_smile: or advice of how to choose a good name

Well, I’ll say choose wisely, because it will be with you for a long time if you do it right. Although it’s not necessary to use your own kennel name on a puppy you might purchase - typically you would be expected to use the breeder’s kennel name (first) and possibly add your kennel name (second) if you have one. You would typically not use your own kennel name until you produce a litter, so if you’re not even at the stage where you have a breeding dog yet, I wouldn’t rush into making a choice. You’re at least 2 years away from breeding at this point.

In my breed a lot of people use various combinations of their names, and I’m not a big fan of that. So, for example, a couple named Jane and Ken might have a kennel name Jaken or something like that. If I used a kennel name for my own dogs it would likely be related to my farm, but coming up with farm names is hard too.

6 Likes

Why are you contributing to the over population of dogs?

9 Likes

Churchill, Marlborough, Blenheim.

1 Like

OP, everyone is entitled to their dreams. But please, please do your research. My friend’s daughter and SIL do pug rescue. Every single surrender has serious health/medical conditions that the owners cannot afford or cope with, and are heartbroken over. Every single one. Many of their dogs live out their remaining lives unadoptable and in hospice. So please be aware.

13 Likes

Responsible breeding does not contribute to the overpopulation of dogs.

So, if we give the OP the benefit of the doubt and assume they are intending to do all the right things with a breeding program, overpopulation is not one of the concerns.

That said - these are two breeds that are difficult to breed well due to breed related health issues. Starting with a quality puppy is essential, but even then there are no guarantees. One should really not go into the purebred fancy with intentions to breed before even owning a puppy. It’s not as easy as it sounds, and it certainly isn’t cheap (when done right).

I know a lot of breeders who have too many dogs - for a variety of reasons - they kept one from a litter they bred hoping for it to be the next perfect breeding dog but it wasn’t. They had one (or more) returned from puppy buyers and as responsible breeders took them back. Acquired a puppy or two out of different breeding lines to be able to breed back not too tightly and then didn’t like the result, etc.

People ask me all the time if the movie “Best in Show” is realistic - and I always say yes – but the most realistic owners are the ones whose credit cards are maxed out and have to sleep in the janitor closet.

12 Likes

I hope you are aware that I will do the health tests related to these breeds. if they have problems, I will not encourage the breeding of them :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Renaissance—since the forebears of the breed were popular then.

1 Like

Excellent. Good luck with your venture. The local Pug meet up events are pretty fun.

1 Like

thank you!! I will be really careful

thank you! sounds good!

1 Like