Unlimited access >

Kennel name help

To be honest, there is nothing about the OPs post that says they will be a responsible breeder to me.

7 Likes

Who newly joins a horse forum and posts about breeding some of the most unhealthy dog breeds out there? Trolls?

8 Likes

I don’t understand what’s your problem lmao
. I saw someone with a similar post and I wanted some ideas , Jesus :skull:

Well, maybe it’s because the local shelters are full, and so many of them are bringing in dogs from out-of-state kill shelters—the younger, cuter, fuzzier kind—and there’s no room for local strays or surrender dogs. Maybe because all anyone seems to care about is selling—or adopting out—dogs, and people who buy or adopt don’t have the money to pay for vet care because it’s gotten so freaking expensive. Maybe because we keep writing checks to local animal charities and there are still a shit ton of dogs with no homes. And I wonder what else I should be doing with money to help—the only thing I can offer right now. And then I look in the paper today and in the classifieds, next to all the repeat phone numbers for various breeds, I see a ‘retirement sale’ with all of these different dog breeds in one place. And so when some random person, who doesn’t even own a dog, wants ideas about the most superficial aspect of dog breeding—what to name the kennel—for breeds that are messed up already, then, ya. You get roasted.

4 Likes

There are plenty of posters here who breed purebred dogs. Not sure why there’s all the hate for the OP.

ETA: so no one should breed dogs that can have health issues? If you flip through any dog breed guide, there are potential health issues listed for every breed. As long as breeding stock is tested for these issues, what’s the problem?

5 Likes

But you don’t know.

It’s a discussion forum. There is no need to roast anyone.

Believe me, I’m 100% against “greeders” and designer mutts. But I’ll give the OP the benefit of the doubt. Breaking into the reputable breeding business isn’t as easy as it’s cracked up to be…but why not support someone that would want to be a good breeder?

7 Likes

I don’t own a DOG OF THESE BREEDS YET. I have had many dogs since I was little and I know how to take care of one. I don’t think I owe you any explanation, you even don’t know about my past about dogs. How can you know? I talked with a lot of good breeders in Europe, who don’t do this for the money, but for dogs and their health.
Okay, if you don’t afford a dog then YOU SHOULDN’T BUY OR ADOPT A DOG, get yourself a toy.

A kennel name is the last thing I would be thinking of at this stage of your game. First you need to get some quality dogs, get them out in competition and get them to the point of having health clearances and testing done and then think about breeding and a kennel name. First the dogs you buy to begin will have the kennel name of the breeders you’re getting them from and they should not have your kennel name hung on them unless its a sort of afterthought, something like “Goodbreederkennels Phideaux at MyKennel”, with your kennel name being the “at” part. Your kennel name should be reserved for pups you have bred. You have a few years to wait before you need to worry about it so you have plenty of time to choose a name.

5 Likes

Dog people are certifiably nutter than horse people. When I posted ages ago about adopting a shelter dog, a few of our esteemed dog breeders reamed me out for not buying a purpose bred dog :wink:

2 Likes

Lots of people base their kennel name on the name of a favorite dog or horse, or maybe the town or street where they live, or a town in the country of the breed’s origin.

When you have a few ideas on your list of potential names, do some checking that they have not been used previously as kennel names in any breed, or prominent dogs, especially in your breeds.

I agree on avoiding Noble Tails.

Pugs very often need c-sections to whelp, so if you choose that breed, be certain that you have enough money set aside specifically to cover an emergency c-section or any other complications before breeding every litter.

I don’t know how often it applies to CKCS, but with the large, round head on a toy breed, I suspect it’s also quite high in that breed as well. And actually, since it CAN be necessary in ANY breed, you should be prepared for such emergencies before you breed at all.

Both breeds have quite a few top handlers and big winners, so it probably won’t be easy to title your dogs yourself. While owner-handlers can do well in the ring, it does take time to learn the skills and train your dog well enough to beat the pros.

Just a couple points to consider.

5 Likes

This can depend a lot on region and availability of shows. If you have a good dog, titling in almost any breed should be possible but it can be tough if you just happen to live in the same region as big breeders or known handlers of that breed.

The best advice I would give to anyone entering the purebred fancy is to find a reputable breeder who will help you. Knowing if your puppy is show quality before competing is important and a breeder can help assess them. Going to shows with people who know what they are doing makes all the difference and definitely a lot more fun as well. Otherwise it can be a lonely and expensive sport. Most of us lose, because there can only be one (or a couple) winners (that earn points.)

Honestly, I would only enter this arena if you are interested in having a pet. Even the best breeders produce mediocre dogs and dogs with faults. You never know, so don’t stake your dreams on this venture yet. Get a well bred puppy, if it is show quality, enter a few shoes. And definitely plan to do other things with it - other sports - obedience, rally, etc. The chances that you will own a really worthy breeding quality animal your first time around is less likely than not.

That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t consider breeding - but it’s a slow road. Make good choices and you’ll be better off in the long run.

5 Likes

Oh so true!!! I generally show in the mid-Atlantic and northeast, which is thick with the top name handlers. When I went to some shows in the mid-west and south, it was SUCH a different story! :exploding_head: Now I understand how some dogs do so well at the Group level in those areas. Completely different game. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I’m in the Northeast too. (Big E).

If you have less than awesome dog in my breed that you want a Ch on (for example, seeking a Dual Championship on a field dog), there is a northern, mid-west circuit through North Dakota, Montana, etc. People call it the “ugly dog circuit.” :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:rofl: Meanwhile, I’m specialing a dog against the top names in the country every weekend, and need to beat them just to get out of breed, much less get a piece of the group. Typically, we have to beat a couple BN faces with specials just to get Select and GCH pts.

1 Like

What is your breed?

I’ve never been that interested in group placements; I’ve won in the NOHS ring but not the regular ring. I know that if a pro took my last nice special into the group ring they might have placed. I don’t understand that, and it leave me less interested in playing the game.

I’ll happily take my dog to regional club specialties and take the breed points. Maybe someday I’ll care about group placements…I have a very nice young dog that needs only one point. If he starts winning in the group ring my opinion might change.

My dog has the quality to be a top winner, so I feel he belongs in the game. He’s sound, typey, a fabulous mover, and so much better than most of what’s out in his breed (or in the show ring, period). We’ve managed some really nice wins (placements in regular Group, including G1) over the big names with top-ranked dogs in spite of being an unknown face.

It’s definitely a challenge to show on that level, but it’s also fun. And obviously, it’s even more fun when your dog wins some of the Big wins! :wink:

Campaigning is rather different from showing in the classes and leaving right after breed. You generally end up friends with a lot of people in other breeds since you’re all waiting around for groups, especially if you’re doing NOHS or you frequently win Best of Breed. It makes it more fun if you’re there all day (and especially if you’re staying in an RV) and hanging out with friends. Much more involved in all aspects than when just focused on finishing a CH.

I’ve been showing since I was a kid and it’s something that I still enjoy. It’s a separate world and nice to be able to step into that environment, hang out with friends, and not worry about current events, work, any kind of life-drama (ugh, plumbing in the house needs fixing! :confounded:), or anything else while at a show.

Like going for a ride on a horse, it’s a nice break from other cares. :smile:

1 Like

Question from a non-dogshow person but what does NOHS mean? I’ve tried putting about 40 words together, but I’m sure none of them are correct.

3 Likes

Sorry! National Owner-Handled Series – the competition for dogs handled by their non-pro owners. It splits off after the Best of Breed level competition into Owner-Handled Groups and OH Best in Show and/or regular Groups and BIS. IF eligible, a dog can win both OH and regular wins at the same show.

4 Likes

You might want to consider if the dogs you’ll be buying will need their own kennel names in their AKC registration. For example, I don’t have a kennel (nor am I a breeder), but when we bought our most recent puppy, I was required to register her with the kennel name prefix + whatever we chose for the remainder. You might do something like breeder name + your kennel name or a variation on the kennel, like how many warmbloods incorporate letters etc.

1 Like