Unlimited access >

Kenneland Sept Yearling Sales

well I guess I will not complain about the cost of a regular horse as I watched Hip #261 go at $3m in the matter seconds

4 Likes

I’ve enjoyed the same guy in the seats eating an ice cream cone every single time I tune in lol.

2 Likes

Curlin x Songbird colt 1M

2 Likes

I wonder what happened with the Curlin/Midnight Bisou colt? They made the announcement about 15 hips in that he was out of the sale. Hoping it wasn’t an injury.

I was a bit surprised that was all he went for.
There have been a few others that went for well below what I expected. Not sure if something was more apparent in the physicals in person on some of them or what :woman_shrugging:

Yes, another one that surprised me: by Into Mischief out of Stellar Wind, $300,000.

2 Likes

Just speculating, but the crowd is fairly thin for book 1 and while there’s been some splashes, others are selling horses for barely above what they have in them. I would assume no one was on him so they scratched rather than send through the ring to RNA.

1 Like

I’m curious whether you’ve formed that impression from being there. Because I’ve been each day since Saturday and these are the biggest KeeSep crowds I’ve seen since before Covid. All the usual big buyers (and then some!) are out in force. Monday when the sale started at 1 pm, the pavilion was literally standing room only. The only other time I’ve seen that was when the Flightline share was sold. People were standing 2-deep at the back walking ring. It was kind of crazy.

There are always winners and losers when it comes to selling, but so far (and of course it’s book 1!) it looks to me like the majority of sellers have to be pretty pleased with how things are going.

5 Likes

I’d say into Session 3 that prices are still quite strong. A lot of big money flying around today as well. I haven’t been able to watch all day but I have been intermittently tuning in.

that is what I was thinking also, I have not watched it all but have many hours. Just guessing median price point being at +/- $450k. I think the cheapest I have seen is just under $100k and that was just one

well just saw Hip 685 bring the averages down …sold at $4,000

2 Likes

I wonder if a filly from that cross might have brought a higher price.

1 Like

Quality Road gets some beauties.

Songbird was a wonderful race mare, but her produce record so far is underwhelming. Her 3 foals of racing age have a combined record of zero wins and 22K in earnings. The colt’s physical was fine, but not special. In looks, he takes after his sire more than his dam. Maybe this colt will be the one to reverse Songbird’s fortunes, but to me, 1M seems like a bit of a gamble at this point.

3 Likes

Quality Road himself was a stunner (I thought) – so not surprised!

1 Like

My OTTB had a pretty short, mostly unsuccessful career - at auction as a two-year-old in training, he sold for more than what I paid for my house.

I like to think that, on a technicality, I own a 6-figure hunter.

15 Likes

That Into Mischief filly out of a Tapit mare the first session at …was it 2.5 million? Sure caught my attention.

2 Likes

Mike Repole bought a Violence colt in 2021 for $950,000, who is now at New Vocations, if you’re looking for more secondhand bragging rights!

5 Likes

This sale is reminding me of those heady Northern Dancer days. Will be interesting seeing if theres any money left for the later sessions.

3 Likes

As @LaurieB mentioned, the buyers of horses in the later books are not the same buyers who are paying exorbitant prices in first books.

The top of the market has been doing well , but if the last few years are any indication, prices will tank in the later books.

1 Like

there is a really nice Honor Code colt selling in tomorrow’s session that I have been drooling over. My drooling is for a non-race career so he won’t be affordable enough to be purchased by myself. Hope he gets a great place to land