Unlimited access >

Kentucky Derby 2022

Poor outrider, and his poor pony! I hope they’re both OK.

The marks on the poor pony’s neck are horrible, in the picture posted earlier in this thread. The reins were almost chewed through also. This could have turned out even worse, if the pony had a different temperament. If the outrider had let go of the lead rope, I hate to think what might have happened.

13 Likes

His groom also seems genuinely fond of the horse (of course, the horse does have the chain on in the video). What a lovely and humble, understated man his trainer is! Maybe the horse is just one of those “you have to know him well to handle him right”-types.

On a number of occasions on this board, we’ve discussed how a horse has to be very, very talented to put up with the added inconvenience of dealing with bad and erratic behavior. Regardless, he’s one of the few horses who has earned it.

I agree with everyone who says that it’s better to be kicked than bitten in this thread, though. At least with a kick, sometimes you can get out the way more easily, or bend to soften the blow. I know at least two people who had accidental bites from horses they got when feeding in a rush that hurt for months. And those horses weren’t out for blood, just hangry and clumsy. I hope the outrider as well as the pony is as okay as can be expected.

5 Likes

Hoo boy, I get a kick out of seeing the armchair activists’ comments on SM about the outrider having “anger issues” and “being a meanie to the winner.” One even said something about him getting his own horse riled up and how that put RS in danger??

Anyways, I just saw a video with a little closer of a view and Jesus, yeah RS did have quite a grip on the outrider’s reins. Dragging them all over the place. I definitely agree that outrider did the best he could in that situation and did what he could - kept himself, his horse, and the jockey all (relatively) safe. I feel bad that they had to be on the receiving end of those teeth though, ouch!

21 Likes

Luckily, the outrider is probably too busy doing his job to see or care about all the comments on social media.

15 Likes

Horse wins big race.
Horse wins good money for a lot of people.
Horse gets his bars jerked on multiple times and his face punched. Outrider horse also gets brutalized (and outrider)

That is the problem. Not what the outrider did, but that as a sport, we defend actions and activities that are abusive/cause harm to equines that are used for profit and entertainment.

Solution? I don’t have one, but it is a bad look that “horse people” are defending it as ok/normal. It is not normal. It should not be ok. People posting that they would do the same thing, on non horse forums, aren’t really helping the perception of horse people.

I think the horse owner is doing a good job trying to show that this is not how the horse is normally behaved/treated.

2 Likes

Uh nope, I was actually just trying to be helpful to you since you’re posting on a message board about horse racing so clearly you have some access to the internet and I assume you’re interested in racing. The stream on YT is a free, fun way to watch horse racing. That’s all.

5 Likes

You should consider posting that picture of RS chomping down on the leg of the outrider on SM and ask if they would consider changing places, or something like that.

18 Likes

Fortunately I agree! I just have a very special annoyance for ignorant people on SM…yes, I end up annoyed quite a lot😅

2 Likes

That was self defense, not abuse. The horse got dangerously aggressive and got physically corrected for it, there is nothing else to do in the moment. If the pony horse had been able to get ahold of him he would have been hurt a lot more, I am quite sure. The outrider lept both horses safe. And the colt seems fine with the barn staff so maybe it’s a once off incident, who knows.

There is a large contingent of people who spend too much time online looking for things to criticize. They are often wrong and the whole exercise is just self-serving in their need to feel smug and superior. I have a good friend who has gotten sucked into this since working at home and she no longer can enjoy anything in life as she is paralyzed with the need to not be judged or blamed. The only one doing the judging is her. It really is ruining her marriage and social life completely though.

44 Likes

CBD? :wink:

That jockey was getting there no matter what. He knew he had the horse! :grin:

It was good of you to note the necessity of Maryland colors on the pauldrons. The attire could be improved with a state flag on the shaffron.

4 Likes

She flips out on occasion and attacks innocent people. It’s your turn.

13 Likes

There is more focus on about 3 minutes of excited, amped up horse trying to eat the pony and the outrider… and condemnation of the outrider… than an amazing tactical ride by Leon and awesome performance by said nibbler. Once RS got clipped up and was able to move forward he was fine.

Those who say this never happens unless the outrider instigates it or whatever - there is a reason stable ponies who take horses to the gate have leather “shields” on their shoulders.

Those who are so aggrieved by this - hate on me. I have a scar from being bitten on my calf by a young colt who was arguing with a pasture buddy and losing the argument. I went to rescue the sweaty, anxious guy, haltered him and clipped up to take him out of there. Pasture buddy was at that point nowhere near him and being held by someone else. As we went through the gate, he was trying to jig past me and I told him whoa softly and gave him a very slight check on the line - no shanking, no shouting. The colt dropped his head and walked forward calmly, then suddenly snaked down and grabbed my leg HARD. YES - I yelled. YES - I popped him one in the nose HARD at least twice - he finally let go - and I marched at him, backing him up about 20 feet. We paused. Settled. And walked on, halting and then walking on again a few times to make his brain was out of rage mode and he was tuned in. Pats for being calm and listening and relaxing… as my leg throbbed like a… well, it hurt like hell.

At the emergency room they kept asking me what bit me - and I said a colt… then realized they were probably thinking of a cute little fuzzy foal… so I changed it to stallion. Massive crush injury - skin barely broken - bruising, infection and swelling wrapped around my leg from the knee down. 25 years later - I still have a rippled, discolored purplish scar about the size of a cookie.

So yeah, I, Smoofox the Terrible (all 5’4" of me) viciously abused a 17 hand mountain of aggravated, upset muscle for about 2 minutes - maybe less. Shame on me.

The colt did not suffer from my evil cruelty, never reacted that way again and later went on to a successful show career. He was also gelded at some point.

I have been kicked and bitten over the years - and that bite was far worse than any kick.

51 Likes

Really!!! @Fred? I never knew!! Amazing and awesome!! That song has been my light during some foaling seasons… sitting in the quiet of the darkened barn… waiting…

“You’ve no business buying a mare like that, but buy her if you must.”
He bit the end off his cigar and spat it in the dust.
"She’s old and lame and barren, too
She’s not worth feed and hay
But I’ll give you this," - he blew smoke at me -
“She was something in her day.”

"I recall her well ten years ago; she was a winner in her prime.
She was fast and lean and willing, but they raced her past her time.
And though she had the heart, her legs were gone,
And it wasn’t hard to see - they kept her at it
In the hopes of just one more small victory."

"She was shunted 'round from track to track, from Kentucky up to Maine.
They’d run her in cheap claimers, all doped up to mask her pain.
And if it’s my advice you want I’d say, the poor thing’s had her day
You’d be throwing good cash after bad. It’s best you turn away."

Well they led her 'round the auction shed, and the bidding started low.
“She’ll go for dog food,” someone said, “the market’s been that slow.”
But she raised her head and pricked her ears, and before the hammer fell…
She was mine.
My friend turned round to me “You’re soft-hearted - I can tell.”

“But she’s been shoved from pillar to post,” said I, "And always done her best.
They used her up, they wrung her dry; you’d think she’d earned a rest.
So if she does not naught but end her days beneath some shady tree,
I’ll have saved her from the knacker’s yard, and that’s good enough for me."

Well, that was near two years ago, she’s filled out some since then.
The more so since she’s been in foal, she eats enough for ten.
And this morn as I crept to the barn around 'bout half past three,
There stood nursing on still trembling legs, one more small victory…

22 Likes

I actually bet on him just watching his jiggy self and conformation.

I suspect he’ll get many breedings because of this spectacular win. Most of the breeders will want race horses, and this guy delivered. I’m afraid no one will really care that he was aggressive towards the ponying horse. He won as a total surprise. End of story to racehorse breeders.

9 Likes

Are breeders supposed to care about 30 seconds of aggression towards a strange horse?

It’s a snapshot in time that is in no way indicative of temperament.

People are really making too much of this.

22 Likes

I was at the equine specialty clinic a week ago getting a pastern ultrasound on my 12.2 donkey that drives. We were chatting afterwards and sweetie cakes reached over and nipped my hand, I felt her teeth. With an open palm and extended arm I spanked the side of her nose, the sound echoed in the exam area. Donkey took one step away and stood there, quietly. The veterinarian, who is consulted nationally, said “Look at her, she knew she was wrong.”

While she’s not an adrenaline & testosterone filled 3 year old stallion coming off a race, the precious syndrome- being told one too many times how sweet you are- can be just as problematic and create dangerous behaviors that must be corrected.

21 Likes

Oh dear, @SLW… you have joined me on the Naughty Bench. :wink:

Agreed.

Especially about the outrider being cruel… mean… abusive…

14 Likes

My railbird friend and I have a longstanding tradition when we go to the races together. We put WPS bets on the horse with the longest odds in the field in the feature race… we would have done well on the Derby! :laughing:

4 Likes

I love how Eric Reed can’t stop giving his whole team credit. He sounded almost as happy that the jockey would be known now as that his horse won, and in another interview I saw kept bringing it back to the barn crew and his wife. I hope this turns into more success for all of them.

32 Likes