Unlimited access >

Knock off TS breeches?

I LOVE the looks of tailored sportsmans but the price is just too steep. I was wondering if there are any brands out there with the same contrast knee patch, and similar colors. :slight_smile: (Or any nice breeches that compare in general)

Elation Platinum Chelsea breeches are similar and a little less expensive!

http://www.ridingwarehouse.com/Elation_Platinum_Chelsea_Tailored_Kneepatch_Breeches/descpage-ECB.html

1 Like

You can buy the above-mentioned breeches directly from the company who has them made (Greenhawk) and pay in Can $ to save lots, since the exchange rate is in your favour: http://greenhawk.com/wdItemDesc.asp?strilhID=Web&strmdNumber=DRC7991&stricSKU=DRC7991

Curious if they are low rise? I love my TS, but they are pricey. However, I need a higher rise, I’m just too long waisted. These seem like a good option!

I live in my trophy hunters and every single pair has come from Facebook. I’ve bought schooling quality to NWT and paid from $70 to $160, including shipping. Check out English Tack Trader, English Tack Exchange, and Tailored Sportsman Breeches for Sale. They are all private groups, I believe, so you have to ask to join. I’ve also gotten belts and shirts. Just use common sense when buying: ask lots of questions to know what you are getting (are there spots, stains, rips?). Know your size, if you like FZ (front zip) or SZ (side zip), and if you prefer low or midrise. (I’m a low rise girl.) It helps to know your style #s too. For example,1967 is front zip low rise I believe, and 1968 is side zip low rise. By shopping on FB I’ve managed to get lots and lots of fun colors as well as tan for showing. Use Pay Pal to protect yourself. I’ve personally only had one problem in my years of doing this and PayPal refunded my money right away. Good luck!!

1 Like

SmartPak just came out with tan knee patch Piper: https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/piper-breeches-by-smartpak-tan-knee-patch-breeches-14672 and Hadley breeches: https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/hadley-knee-patch-breeches-by-smartpak-14691

2 Likes

Ovation makes similarly styled tan patch breeches as does RJ. Fit is a little different across the three brands. I hadn’t seen those tan patch Pipers yet. Cool!

They’re low rise. I’m long in the waist too. They never have my size in stock when I happen to be there so I haven’t actually tried on the Chelsea, but I can take one look at how short the zipper is and know they won’t fit me!

Not a ton cheaper, but I really like the pair of RJ Gulf breeches I got. The styling on the Ovation Tayloreds is similar, but the material is much more cottony.

ETA: Has anyone tried the Pipers? Is the fit similar to the usual cut of the Pipers, which for me is kind of a meh fit?

1 Like

I bought several new and also like new TS breeches on Ebay, for under a hundred dollars. I found both low and regular rises and even the used ones look brand new! Also, I several pairs of Ariats that look very similar. Good luck!!

2 Likes

I would say they are similar in rise to TS Trophy Hunters, but to order up a size in the Elation Chelsea breeches.

I was told by a tack shop owner that the Devon-aire Signature breech is supposed to be a TSTH knockoff. I have a pair and I like them. Good for the price. http://www.doversaddlery.com/m/signa…ch/p/X1-35830/ For me, the fit is comparable, whereas Pipers do not fit me at all.

Try Smartpak’s new Hadley breeches. They are a step up from the Piper’s and are made with similar material to the Trophys. I’m between a 28 and 30 and the Hadley in 30 fits great. Also… they aren’t big in the crotch/ fall down your butt like the Pipers do! I already asked for another pair for Christmas.

The Hadleys cost $120, so already $50-60 less than the Trophys, and you can get them for less when Smartpak does a sale on all Smartpak brands (usually 20% off)

2 Likes

I agree that the Elation Platinum Chelsea are a very similar style and are very comfortable. They do run a tad small so going up a size is a good idea. I also found them to be a little longer (I’m 5’5" and they’re a little too long for me) so if you are short then they might not work for you.

Good point re. length - the Chelsea’s are definitely a little longer, but they have the sock bottom, which I find easier to work with as a short person! (5’1"). With TS, I have to order them in short (special order, usually) because I find the velcro unbearable if they are too long.

I have heard from several people that the Chelsea material relaxes quite a bit, and to buy them snug (your regular size) to start and NOT size up, otherwise you’ll end up with baggy breeches.

Thanks, that’s basically my fit issue with the Pipers, so rather than trying the cute patched ones, I’ll wait for a sale and give the more expensive ones a try. Do they pill less than the Pipers, too?

I know advertising is against the rules so I won’t post my name but I do run an online tack consignment and I do have Trophy Hunters in stock often for very affordable prices.

I haven’t found that mine have relaxed at all. I can wear either a 26 or 28 in TS and to get the same fit as the 26 TS I had to get a 28 in the Chelsea, and they are comfortably snug, but there’s no way I would fit into a 26. That being said I do wear a 28 in basically any other breech, so I guess it depends on what you are comparing them to.

I have several pairs of the Chelsea, and would disagree. I can’t do low-rise breeches, but these are fine and quickly becoming one of my favourite options, especially as they will go on sale for $75 CAN periodically. A great deal, esp if you get the benefit of the exchange rate.

I also have a pair of Ovation breeches with the tan patch. I do like them but, as mentionned above, the material is bit more ‘cottony’. I will prob wear them more in this fall as they seem a bit warmer. That said, I really dislike their sock bottom styling. Not nearly as comfortable as the Piper/Chelsea style.

1 Like