Unlimited access >

La Mundial: Horrible Customer Service - refusing to make boots UPDATE post 138

I think I would be reaching out in some way to any others who are in your same predicament, and contacting both an attorney, and a TV station that has one of those “rip off report” segments. I would also take out ads in every large equine publication that I see them advertise in. maybe find any trade shows they plan to go to and be there to put a negative on all their “we are a good company” claims.

[QUOTE=IPEsq;7757845]
Going by the general cost of custom boots, I think you’d fall within the limits for small claims court. Or, you could try approaching a law firm that does class action suits to see if this would qualify and if they’d take it on a contingent fee basis. Might put the fire under La Mundial to stop punting to the other company. I don’t know if this would be enough to get the AG’s attention. So long as La Mundial isn’t bankrupt, they are the ones you are trying to get the money back from. If the other company is supposed to indemnify them, well, that’s a problem between those 2 companies.[/QUOTE]

I think that I probably would but I need to determine what something like that would cost. I don’t want to be screwed by La Mundial and out a ton in legal fees. La Mundial is not to my knowledge going bankrupt. In fact they are apparently still taking new orders which is infuriating.

I personally feel this way as well. But they apparently have no conscience.

[QUOTE=trubandloki;7757877]I do not get their logic. But I guess there really is no logic to get. They took money and now have hit a road bump that in the big picture will end up costing them money so they are saying screw the customer, we are not taking the hit.
Very sad.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I will never recommend this company to anyone because of how they are handling this and it very well could have ended more positively if they weren’t being so rude and trying to wash their hands of me.

La Mundial

I know that many have had great experiences with this company. Boots came in as promised, fit was great and the price couldn’t be beat…but there are those who have had nightmarish experiences.

At some point the public will decide that it isn’t worth it to take the chance that they will fit, come in on time and that La Mundial will stand by its product.

There is a reason why there are few if any American tack stores who will measure for them (I know our local tack store carried the boots for a short while and stopped carrying them fairly abruptly). While people have had issues with Vogel and Der Dau etc, at least they are American companies and backed by bricks and mortar stores in the US so you have recourse if something goes awry.

I had a bad experience with La Mundial. I was actually going to rep for them. I did my first “test” fit boot that I was going to use as my demo and it came in way too short with the incorrect front of the boot. They were supposed to redo it and send me out new boots. I double checked my order form and it was correct, the boots were not made to order. Two months later, when I finally go through to someone who actually followed through, they found the boots I’d sent back in the corner at the factory and said they could put a top on the boots to increase the height. At that point I told them no thank you, I’m not repping for a company I can’t trust. I’d heard the stories but thought I’d give them a try.

In hindsight, it was one of my better moves to walk away.

I guess the moral of the story is that if there are a lot of unhappy people out there Caveat Emptor! Buyer Beware!

If a company loses a supplier, they get another supplier. Of course they have to find one that can meet their standard and terms … but there are quality bootmakers to be found out there in the world. :slight_smile:

If there are really 100 outstanding orders that a company is denying either delivery or refund, for a product that is about $1,000 per sale or item … you do the math.

Find the one Attorney General that can actually take action. Everyone with a complaint of being out money & goods go to that one, at the same time. Don’t know what they can do, but with that kind of TOTAL $$ on the line they are likely to be interested in exploring the possibilities. But they have to have the DOCUMENTED complaints in order to act.

It would help if someone who is very determined to get justice can communicate and help everyone else get their documentation & complaint done. Maintain a list of injured parties, and so forth. But people who are out the $ do have to care enough to see it through for anything to happen.

It would be better to first approach the company as a group, asking for their explanation and commitment to make everything right by a date certain - either refunds, or satisfactory delivery (sounds like refunds are best at this time). Maybe with a group approach they will do something. If they don’t … then if you care enough, go the next step.

:slight_smile:

Bought boots from these people, Dressage at Devon several years ago. Leather was cheapest quality. Leather quality and workmanship was nothing like the Demo boots offered at show. Wore boots less than one month. Boots fell apart. Asked to have boots repaired or replaced. Sent Pics to laMundial. The company told me to buzz off. Rep said take to my boot repair guy! Horrid company to work with. Def. Cheap product, no service after sale. Quite frankly I am not surprised that people are not getting boots they ordered and paid for. No where near the quality of most other boot manufactures anyhow. Would never recommend this company’s products to anyone. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Small claims court is a place where many people represent themselves, so you wouldn’t necessarily need to hire a lawyer. Many small claims courts have sample complaints and other forms that you’d need to file available. There are court fees involved, but they are pretty small. There’s a reason the claims $ amount is capped–they try to make the court process accessible to people who won’t be recovering a ton of money by the nature of their claim.

If it could become a big deal like a class action case (if there are a bunch of unhappy, bootless customers), then a firm that would take that on would probably do it on a contingent fee basis, meaning they’d take a fee out of the recovery (whether settlement recovery or court judgment), and if you lose the case, you aren’t on the hook for fees. But you’d have to discuss the case with the firm (you should get a free consultation about your case from a firm), and I’d try to pick a firm that has an office in Florida.

[QUOTE=hype;7759767]
I know that many have had great experiences with this company. Boots came in as promised, fit was great and the price couldn’t be beat…but there are those who have had nightmarish experiences.

At some point the public will decide that it isn’t worth it to take the chance that they will fit, come in on time and that La Mundial will stand by its product.

There is a reason why there are few if any American tack stores who will measure for them (I know our local tack store carried the boots for a short while and stopped carrying them fairly abruptly). While people have had issues with Vogel and Der Dau etc, at least they are American companies and backed by bricks and mortar stores in the US so you have recourse if something goes awry.

I had a bad experience with La Mundial. I was actually going to rep for them. I did my first “test” fit boot that I was going to use as my demo and it came in way too short with the incorrect front of the boot. They were supposed to redo it and send me out new boots. I double checked my order form and it was correct, the boots were not made to order. Two months later, when I finally go through to someone who actually followed through, they found the boots I’d sent back in the corner at the factory and said they could put a top on the boots to increase the height. At that point I told them no thank you, I’m not repping for a company I can’t trust. I’d heard the stories but thought I’d give them a try.

In hindsight, it was one of my better moves to walk away.

I guess the moral of the story is that if there are a lot of unhappy people out there Caveat Emptor! Buyer Beware![/QUOTE]

interesting sounds like you dodged a bullet employment wise.

[QUOTE=OverandOnward;7759780]If a company loses a supplier, they get another supplier. Of course they have to find one that can meet their standard and terms … but there are quality bootmakers to be found out there in the world. :slight_smile:

If there are really 100 outstanding orders that a company is denying either delivery or refund, for a product that is about $1,000 per sale or item … you do the math.

Find the one Attorney General that can actually take action. Everyone with a complaint of being out money & goods go to that one, at the same time. Don’t know what they can do, but with that kind of TOTAL $$ on the line they are likely to be interested in exploring the possibilities. But they have to have the DOCUMENTED complaints in order to act.

It would help if someone who is very determined to get justice can communicate and help everyone else get their documentation & complaint done. Maintain a list of injured parties, and so forth. But people who are out the $ do have to care enough to see it through for anything to happen.

It would be better to first approach the company as a group, asking for their explanation and commitment to make everything right by a date certain - either refunds, or satisfactory delivery (sounds like refunds are best at this time). Maybe with a group approach they will do something. If they don’t … then if you care enough, go the next step.

:)[/QUOTE]

I just found out that they are providing some of the people that I ordered with boots which is very lucky for them but frustrating for me! Don’t get how they are getting away with different treatment for different clients or why they refuse to stick to their offer to do the same for me.

I should have avoided them in the first place but I knew so many people that loved their boots. Won’t make that mistake again.

[QUOTE=IPEsq;7761311]Small claims court is a place where many people represent themselves, so you wouldn’t necessarily need to hire a lawyer. Many small claims courts have sample complaints and other forms that you’d need to file available. There are court fees involved, but they are pretty small. There’s a reason the claims $ amount is capped–they try to make the court process accessible to people who won’t be recovering a ton of money by the nature of their claim.

If it could become a big deal like a class action case (if there are a bunch of unhappy, bootless customers), then a firm that would take that on would probably do it on a contingent fee basis, meaning they’d take a fee out of the recovery (whether settlement recovery or court judgment), and if you lose the case, you aren’t on the hook for fees. But you’d have to discuss the case with the firm (you should get a free consultation about your case from a firm), and I’d try to pick a firm that has an office in Florida.[/QUOTE]
Thank you for the advice. I will have to seriously look into this as an option.

i bought a pair from them, took over a year and 3 tries later, i finally gave up. wore them twice and gave them away. they didn’t offer to fix it or refund my $. I spent more $ trying to get it fixed at a boot place but it was so off than it didn’t even matter. lesson learned, I’ve been telling everyone and anyone i know about them…

Why is it so difficult to get quality but lower end custom boots in America? How much does it really cost to make them so that to turn a profit base prices are so high?

[B]Below is a message directly from Roberto Rivas, grandson of the founder of La Mundial Custom Boots, established 1906. There are three entities listed, whenever he says “we” or “I” remember he is speaking as La Mundial back under full management by the Rivas family, not as La Mundial managed by Fabrica.

I am posting it here at his request. I have met him in person, and my read on people is usually pretty accurate - my impression is overwhelmingly that he is a good person, albeit with a huge mess to try and fix.

Although I do not have any formal ties to this company, I do believe in signing any communications, so here is my information: Holly Davis, Horsefly Group, holly@horseflygroup.com. However, please contact La Mundial directly, and use my information only if you have difficulty reaching LM. Thanks [/B]

"There has been much anger and frustration toward the La Mundial, Fabrica Custom Boots, and Campoluna brand names, and those caught up in the tangle have every right to feel this way.

I, Roberto Rivas, grandson of the founder of La Mundial, will untangle this mess and make sure that everyone who has paid for La Mundial brand boots receives them, and that they fit beautifully. We will do this as quickly as possible.

To explain what has happened: La Mundial has always been known for beautiful designs and highly desirable custom boots at a fair price. We wished to expand and improve operations of the company, and therefore sold a controlling interest in the La Mundial brand to Fabrica Custom Boots nearly 2 years ago, a company created by an investor group for the purpose of buying this share of La Mundial and undertaking its management. Unfortunately, we were not paid for the ownership, and they split from us, using knowledge gained from their association with us to try to launch the brand Campoluna to compete with La Mundial.

Some customers have just recently received boots made during the Fabrica tenure as management; they were located by and shipped at the Rivas family expense. Rest assured that if there are any issues with those boots, we will support them. Some customers are still waiting on their boots, of these some paid Fabrica, and some paid the Rivas family. Regardless, the Rivas family / La Mundial will be resolving Fabrica issues as soon as humanly possible, while crafting boots for our customers. We expect most of this to be satisfactorily resolved for all customers.

If you are still waiting for your boots, you will likely hear from us shortly, if you haven’t already. At any time, if you would like to send us an email with your name, date and place of order, who helped you, and type of boot ordered, we will cross check your information with our records to ensure that you are on the list to receive resolution of your order.

My family and I are greatly dismayed that my grandfather’s company has been a part of disappointing so many customers. I personally stand behind this brand, and am working as hard as possible to ensure that my family turns your disappointment into delight again. Although it is Fabrica that has caused these issues, we share culpability - after all, it was our decision to sell and therefore lose control of our family company. We understand for some of you, it is a long road to earn your forgiveness, and we hope that you will remain patient while we do so.

If you have any concerns or questions, please reach out to info@lamundialboots.com. You may also reach us at our customer service hotline at 239-599-5359, to be answered by either Sylvia or Lorena. Please be aware that this is a USA area code and therefore a domestic call for you, but it is answered in Ecuador. Very occasionally this can cause issues in that the call does not go through properly. Please try again, or send us an email, which is highly reliable.

We very much look forward to hearing from you, and to resolving this to move forward.

Most sincerely, Roberto Rivas M., La Mundial"

Roberto just emailed me to further say that he will call every unhappy customer personally if you email info@lamundialboots.com. Please provide details so he can research the issue before calling you.

[QUOTE=Horseflyer;7776195]
[B]Below is a message directly from Roberto Rivas, grandson of the founder of La Mundial Custom Boots, established 1906. There are three entities listed, whenever he says “we” or “I” remember he is speaking as La Mundial back under full management by the Rivas family, not as La Mundial managed by Fabrica.

I am posting it here at his request. I have met him in person, and my read on people is usually pretty accurate - my impression is overwhelmingly that he is a good person, albeit with a huge mess to try and fix.

Although I do not have any formal ties to this company, I do believe in signing any communications, so here is my information: Holly Davis, Horsefly Group, holly@horseflygroup.com. However, please contact La Mundial directly, and use my information only if you have difficulty reaching LM. Thanks [/B]

"There has been much anger and frustration toward the La Mundial, Fabrica Custom Boots, and Campoluna brand names, and those caught up in the tangle have every right to feel this way.

I, Roberto Rivas, grandson of the founder of La Mundial, will untangle this mess and make sure that everyone who has paid for La Mundial brand boots receives them, and that they fit beautifully. We will do this as quickly as possible.

To explain what has happened: La Mundial has always been known for beautiful designs and highly desirable custom boots at a fair price. We wished to expand and improve operations of the company, and therefore sold a controlling interest in the La Mundial brand to Fabrica Custom Boots nearly 2 years ago, a company created by an investor group for the purpose of buying this share of La Mundial and undertaking its management. Unfortunately, we were not paid for the ownership, and they split from us, using knowledge gained from their association with us to try to launch the brand Campoluna to compete with La Mundial.

Some customers have just recently received boots made during the Fabrica tenure as management; they were located by and shipped at the Rivas family expense. Rest assured that if there are any issues with those boots, we will support them. Some customers are still waiting on their boots, of these some paid Fabrica, and some paid the Rivas family. Regardless, the Rivas family / La Mundial will be resolving Fabrica issues as soon as humanly possible, while crafting boots for our customers. We expect most of this to be satisfactorily resolved for all customers.

If you are still waiting for your boots, you will likely hear from us shortly, if you haven’t already. At any time, if you would like to send us an email with your name, date and place of order, who helped you, and type of boot ordered, we will cross check your information with our records to ensure that you are on the list to receive resolution of your order.

My family and I are greatly dismayed that my grandfather’s company has been a part of disappointing so many customers. I personally stand behind this brand, and am working as hard as possible to ensure that my family turns your disappointment into delight again. Although it is Fabrica that has caused these issues, we share culpability - after all, it was our decision to sell and therefore lose control of our family company. We understand for some of you, it is a long road to earn your forgiveness, and we hope that you will remain patient while we do so.

If you have any concerns or questions, please reach out to info@lamundialboots.com. You may also reach us at our customer service hotline at 239-599-5359, to be answered by either Sylvia or Lorena. Please be aware that this is a USA area code and therefore a domestic call for you, but it is answered in Ecuador. Very occasionally this can cause issues in that the call does not go through properly. Please try again, or send us an email, which is highly reliable.

We very much look forward to hearing from you, and to resolving this to move forward.

Most sincerely, Roberto Rivas M., La Mundial"[/QUOTE]

This is interesting. I just called La Mundial after reading this and was told via phone that they will make my boots but then I was told via email in a statement something that implies they will not make my boots unless they resolve things with Fabrica. I would encourage La Mundial to pick a response and stick to it. I am not inclined to sign a POA and send my ID without reason and La Mundial has sent a lot of mixed messages on wether they intend to actually make boots for their damaged customers.

In the multiple times that I have emailed this address I have never once received a response. The first email that I received directly from La Mundial with this whole ordeal was today after calling them regarding the statement you posted.

See the email:

"Thank you for the information. About two months ago, La Mundial brand split from a former society it had from a company and factory of boots called FABRICA CUSTOM BOOTS LLC. This company was managed by Genevieve Abraham and she was responsible of managing the company financially, administratively and for the production of the boots. Currently, we are in a legal process whereby we would like us to sing a Power of Attorney which will give us the legal power, here in Ecuador, to our lawyers to demand an answer regarding your boots or your money (see attachment). We would need to sing the document and a scanned copy of a valid ID.

If you would like, we can start making your pending pair if you have your measurements and order and you can scan them to us.

Best Regards,

La Mundial Team!"

The statement mentioned above that was attached to the email is dated September 23 and states that they cannot make boots for customers.

As much as we would like to help you by making the boots, we are not allowed to get involved directly in this situation for legal reasons.

So via the statement you (HorseFly) shared, what I was verbally told over the phone today, and the body of the email boots will be made. But the official statement expresses that they cannot unless they fail at legal measures on the customers behalf against Fabrica- no time line was provided. I am now stuck having to find legal counsel to review the document that they sent to verify that I am not going to be taken once again by this company.

I was incredibly optimistic after reading the statement you shared but I am now disappointed again as I have no clue at what point La Mundial intends to make good on the offer of creating boots for us (the damaged customers).

I admit I giggled at the idea of singing a Power of Attorney and wondered what tune it would use.

Other than that little bit of fun I made for myself this whole mess is totally confusing. I do hope you can get it figured out and either get a refund or your boots soon, myalter.

It’s a start!

Myaltereq… to focus on the positive, you did actually get a reply now that you tried again after my message. That’s a start. There is a good reason for the seemingly complex messaging - attorneys! There are things that can and cannot be said publicly. Also there can be some language issues.

All I can say is, be even more endlessly patient, and I do believe all of this will work out in the end for you. The power of attorney should be highly limited to Rivas representing your interests in the court in Quito. There should be nothing in that to unduly alarm you.

I feel really bad for all the customers without boots, but I also feel bad for Roberto, whose whole company is at stake. He’s really trying to make this right for everyone.

[QUOTE=myaltereq;7776611]
I was incredibly optimistic after reading the statement you shared but I am now disappointed again as I have no clue at what point La Mundial intends to make good on the offer of creating boots for us (the damaged customers).[/QUOTE]

They do intend to make it right for everyone. They do need help from a limited number of customers in the form of signing the POA.

We’ve all heard horror stories about La Mundial for many more years than 2. This isn’t a new problem. Well, I suppose the failed partnership/sale/whatever it is is new. However, folks getting stiffed, ending up with an inferior product, or receiving boots that don’t come close to fitting isn’t new. At all.

Soooo they sing legal documents in Ecuador?

:lol:

I’ll stick to Vogels. Even if I have to pay a bit more.

Gumshoe… true. But there are also many people who post that they’re delighted with their boots when they receive them. (what’s the line… unhappy people tell 10, happy people tell 1?) I don’t personally have a pair, so I can only go by the demo boots I’ve seen, and by my ‘spidey sense’ about Roberto.

FWIW, the Rivas family specifically got involved with Fabrica to improve their customer service via greater funds to expand and enhance equipment and staffing. Obviously, that didn’t work out so well, they’re worse off now.

I do know that every boot company has complaints and that LM has had more than its share. But with happy people posting as well… well, I’ve always been a sucker for a good ‘underdog prevails’ story, and so I hope that LM recovers and gets their customer service and quality control issues fixed.

I for one am thrilled with my boots. Ordered in Feb., received in April, fit perfectly. And that was 2014.

[QUOTE=Horseflyer;7776649]
Myaltereq… to focus on the positive, you did actually get a reply now that you tried again after my message. That’s a start. There is a good reason for the seemingly complex messaging - attorneys! There are things that can and cannot be said publicly. Also there can be some language issues.

All I can say is, be even more endlessly patient, and I do believe all of this will work out in the end for you. The power of attorney should be highly limited to Rivas representing your interests in the court in Quito. There should be nothing in that to unduly alarm you.

I feel really bad for all the customers without boots, but I also feel bad for Roberto, whose whole company is at stake. He’s really trying to make this right for everyone.[/QUOTE]

I sincerely hope that you are right. I would like nothing more than for La Mundial to make this right (not just for me but for all of us that were wronged).

[QUOTE=Horseflyer;7776671]Gumshoe… true. But there are also many people who post that they’re delighted with their boots when they receive them. (what’s the line… unhappy people tell 10, happy people tell 1?) I don’t personally have a pair, so I can only go by the demo boots I’ve seen, and by my ‘spidey sense’ about Roberto.

FWIW, the Rivas family specifically got involved with Fabrica to improve their customer service via greater funds to expand and enhance equipment and staffing. Obviously, that didn’t work out so well, they’re worse off now.

I do know that every boot company has complaints and that LM has had more than its share. But with happy people posting as well… well, I’ve always been a sucker for a good ‘underdog prevails’ story, and so I hope that LM recovers and gets their customer service and quality control issues fixed.[/QUOTE]

An unhappy person does typically spread word faster than a happy one but the only reason that I even considered boots from this company was from the experiences of close friends that had great experiences with their boots. I am sorry that La Mundial is worse off now but that doesn’t change the fact that it is their responsibility to make things right. I wrote my check to La Mundial. Not Fabrica. If La Mundial gave another company rights to my payment that is their responsibility.

Nothing would make me happier than to get my boots and be able to boast about how well they fit (providing they are as great as my original pair) but the customer service aspect of this ordeal has left a lot to be desired. That said I am going to give La Mundial the benefit of the doubt and assume that they are going to make this right in a reasonable amount of time. Time will tell.