Unlimited access >

La Mundial: Horrible Customer Service - refusing to make boots UPDATE post 138

I have to add that my La Mundial boots came on time, fit perfectly and are beautifully made-- I ordered and received them in 2012 though. Two barnmates also have them and were equally happy with their boot orders, but none ordered recently. I am hopeful that the the Rivas family can sort out their problems are return to making reasonably priced custom boots.

I do know many other custom boots from other companies have issues with both fit, quality and lateness in delivery. Not unique to La Mundial. Though I am not defending the deplorable service some of you seem to have gotten recently!

[QUOTE=Horseflyer;7776652]
They do intend to make it right for everyone. They do need help from a limited number of customers in the form of signing the POA.[/QUOTE]

I don’t understand why they need a POA. That gives them your legal shoes to stand in (they make all legal decisions on your behalf). But if you signed a contract with La Mundial–they have to honor that contract, regardless. I am an employment lawyer (not a contract lawyer), but this would make me nervous.

[QUOTE=BITSA;7777280]
I don’t understand why they need a POA. That gives them your legal shoes to stand in (they make all legal decisions on your behalf). But if you signed a contract with La Mundial–they have to honor that contract, regardless. I am an employment lawyer (not a contract lawyer), but this would make me nervous.[/QUOTE]

From what I gather, the POA is for the Quito (Ecuador) court, for the purposes of pursuing LM’s action against the other company. Don’t know Ecuadorian law at all, but it could be legit…

But that’s the thing…it’s LM’s action, not the OP’s.

OP, if you don’t care about the boots at this point, I’d seriously consider filing against LM in small claims court to get a judgment in the United States to get your money back from them so you have a chance of moving on and getting boots from somewhere. If you want LM to make right, then it looks like you are going to have to keep waiting.

I don’t know how long these types of cases take in court in Ecuador, but I’m thinking it is going to take some time for LM to resolve its dispute, and in the meantime, who knows what they are going to do about your boots…since they seem to be making contradictory statements.

Just an FYI - they do have a booth at the QH Congress this year. In case you know anyone shopping and want to give them a heads up.

[QUOTE=bugsynskeeter;7792062]
Just an FYI - they do have a booth at the QH Congress this year. In case you know anyone shopping and want to give them a heads up.[/QUOTE]

They’re still selling boots, but can’t make older orders??

[QUOTE=Gorgonzola;7792332]
They’re still selling boots, but can’t make older orders??[/QUOTE]

They’ve got the whole set up here. I have an urge to go ask them if they plan on making any of the orders that are still owed or if those people are SOL.

[QUOTE=bugsynskeeter;7792366]
They’ve got the whole set up here. I have an urge to go ask them if they plan on making any of the orders that are still owed or if those people are SOL.[/QUOTE]

Please do!!

[QUOTE=Gorgonzola;7792377]
Please do!![/QUOTE]

I’ll try - I might have to change my shirt so you can’t tell which booth I’m with!

[QUOTE=bugsynskeeter;7792420]
I’ll try - I might have to change my shirt so you can’t tell which booth I’m with![/QUOTE]

I wish you would. That would make you my hero.

[QUOTE=bugsynskeeter;7792366]
They’ve got the whole set up here. I have an urge to go ask them if they plan on making any of the orders that are still owed or if those people are SOL.[/QUOTE]

Please do! I ordered a pair the last weekend in August at a show here (before I knew about all this mess). My trainer has always had great luck with LM’s as have several riders at our barn. Now I am hoping they follow through (Nov. 30 promise date). Glad I paid with a credit card just in case. :frowning:

I have been told by Roberto, the owner, that all orders paid to LM are in progress. My understanding is that it’s only the orders paid to Fabrica (although the paperwork may say LM - they were using it and shouldn’t have) that are in limbo, and LM is attempting to straighten all that out, and if they cannot get satisfaction from Fabrica on behalf of those customers, they will make those boots at their expense, even though they did not receive the monies. It’s a difficult situation, and I do believe they are doing the best they can to sort it out. Much of the trade show effort is actually aimed at being accessible to customers, rather than new orders, so people feel like they can speak to them face to face rather than disconnected due to international distance.

[QUOTE=Horseflyer;7792706]
I have been told by Roberto, the owner, that all orders paid to LM are in progress. My understanding is that it’s only the orders paid to Fabrica (although the paperwork may say LM - they were using it and shouldn’t have) that are in limbo, and LM is attempting to straighten all that out, and if they cannot get satisfaction from Fabrica on behalf of those customers, they will make those boots at their expense, even though they did not receive the monies. It’s a difficult situation, and I do believe they are doing the best they can to sort it out. Much of the trade show effort is actually aimed at being accessible to customers, rather than new orders, so people feel like they can speak to them face to face rather than disconnected due to international distance.[/QUOTE]

I have emailed the company 3 times with my measurements and questions pertaining the document they shared - which btw stated they would not be making their clients boots as I mentioned previously. Today was my 3rd attempt at email contact and I gave up on answers to my questions and sent the final document. I will have to try calling again though written communication is preferred for records.

Given the fact that they claim to want to make this right a good start would be actually communicating to the people that are damaged. I asked for a response 3 times (today being the 3rd attempt in 2 weeks) and have yet to receive confirmation that they have my documents, are doing anything to make this right, or any update on the boots that they are supposed to provide me.

I want to give them the benefit of the doubt and I want nothing more than to get my boots and put this behind me but they aren’t exactly inspiring trust or good faith.

Ugh… I completely feel your pain and frustration.

None of this is within my control, but I can do what I can to help… email me with your situation and I will bug Roberto myself to get an answer for you. With the legal issues stemming from Fabrica’s departure, it’s not economically feasible for LM to be as fast as they would like in responding (takes warm bodies being paid - and I’m not being paid by them, btw), but he did ask me to forward any shortfalls in customer service so he personally sees what’s falling short. My email is holly@horseflygroup.com. I will do whatever I can to help.

I will try to stop by today. I leave tomorrow so I will see what I can do.

They are actively trying to sell boots here. It is not just a display. There are several prices posted all around the booth for Congress Special pricing.

[QUOTE=Horseflyer;7792706]
I have been told by Roberto, the owner, that all orders paid to LM are in progress. My understanding is that it’s only the orders paid to Fabrica (although the paperwork may say LM - they were using it and shouldn’t have) that are in limbo, and LM is attempting to straighten <snip>[/QUOTE]

This really does not make sense to me.

From what I have read the people buying boots were buying LM boots. LM contracted Fabrica to make the boots. The people buying did not go looking for Fabrica, make a purchase agreement with Fabrica and then get left hanging high and dry by Fabrica.
The people buying bought from LM, paid LM and are being left high and dry be LM, the problems between LM and Fabrica are LM’s problems, not the people who ordered boots.
No matter how much they want to ignore and pretend it is not their problem to fix, it is 100% LM’s problem to fix.
If Roberto is even half the man you keep saying he is he would not be saying that anyone has to wait for Fabrica. Period.

[QUOTE=trubandloki;7793632]
The people buying bought from LM, paid LM and are being left high and dry by LM, the problems between LM and Fabrica are LM’s problems, not the people who ordered boots.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what Roberto is saying, so all of us will see if he is going to be able to follow through.

The only thing incorrect in what you say above is that there were a few dozen people who paid Fabrica, not LM. However, everyone agrees that you are correct that the perception of these customers is that they paid LM.

From what I understand, there is a legal issue that he has to see through with Fabrica. No matter how that is settled, people who paid Fabrica will get their boots, either from Fabrica or from LM, and LM will support those boots afterward.

I have a lot of empathy for Roberto, having started and run several companies with few resources, two of them were ultimately quite successful, largely because I always stand behind my work, and do what I say I’ll do. Best case, Roberto is exactly the man he presents himself to me (I generally have good “spidey sense” about people), but it’s going to take time for him to make everyone whole given the resources he’s been left with when Fabrica failed to pay.

[QUOTE=trubandloki;7793632]
This really does not make sense to me.

From what I have read the people buying boots were buying LM boots. LM contracted Fabrica to make the boots. The people buying did not go looking for Fabrica, make a purchase agreement with Fabrica and then get left hanging high and dry by Fabrica.
The people buying bought from LM, paid LM and are being left high and dry be LM, the problems between LM and Fabrica are LM’s problems, not the people who ordered boots.
No matter how much they want to ignore and pretend it is not their problem to fix, it is 100% LM’s problem to fix.
If Roberto is even half the man you keep saying he is he would not be saying that anyone has to wait for Fabrica. Period.[/QUOTE]
I’d be curious to to what the order form/contract said (if I’m spending $$$ at a company that isn’t reputable like smartpak, I want one of those).

When a person places an order with La Mundial, does it specify if the work is being subcontracted, does it make ANY mention of Fabrica being involved?

In the design world, when you’re a client getting work done, it will specify in the order if sub-contracting the work is allowed or not. I know this is a different industry, but it’s still someone custom making something just for you.

I’m not privvy to all the legal issues, but it’s a different situation here. There is no doubt that LM has some mending to do to win trust back. I will post more when I hear.

The point I was trying to make is that it is wrong for LM to be telling the people who were unfortunate enough to have their boots subcontracted out (by LM) to have to sit on their hands and wait for LM to figure out whatever legal stuff is going on, which is what you said above is happening. Everyone who ordered and did not get sub contracted out will get their boots now, others (like the OP here) have to wait and wonder while LM putters around with their legal stuff. Not right, not fair and does not make the owner of LM look good in my eyes.

Also wondering what your spidey sense says about a company that is not contacting a customer back?