Unlimited access >

Landrover Kentucky 2023

Nope, this is my third time but the first time I just did a day trip, last year we stayed at a friend’s family member’s house, so I don’t know the hotels either :joy: we booked the LaQuinta which is pretty close and isn’t a bad price. Last year tickets didn’t go on sale until maybe July or August, so I don’t have them for 2023 yet either.

I’ve done this at a 5* before and it is a joy. One of the best experiences of my life (and I do like people…well, some people). The flexibility to enjoy something exactly as it appeals to you is a very unique kind of freedom.

5 Likes

I was out for dinner tonight with DH (very much NON horsey) and I said “in 2024 or 2025 I want to go to Kentucky for LRK3DE” and he responded “ok, I can come with you” which knocked my socks off. I think he was pretty much just saying it in a supportive husband kind of way but… I feel like I should get it on record so that he cannot back out :wink:

So I’ll be watching this thread for all the tips and tricks as I plan my 2024 spectator debut. I’m from Canada so this will be a HUGE opportunity for me to make big plans and get the most out of the trip.

9 Likes

Yes! Make him take a blood oath as a commitment to come. Then there’s no backing out.

3 Likes

We bought ours while walking out after stadium, as soon as I saw the sign saying they were available. Cannot wait!

I need a new helmet, stirrups, a crop, and…and…and… :laughing:

:joy::joy::joy: I’m on the stirrup hunt too, I want safety stirrups for my jump saddle. Plus an air vest and event merch and a new dressage bridle/pads​:money_with_wings::money_with_wings::money_with_wings::money_with_wings::money_with_wings: I just started dressage saddle shopping and am riding in my first demo right now, so I have a whole new list of accessories I need :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Looks like they redesigned the website and they have a set of entries up for both 4* and 5*! Closing day is tomorrow, so still opportunities for more entries.

7 Likes

Yes, this was new this year. Personally, I was not a fan of having to do it on site when we got there - I do the buying for a group of 10-12 people, and it was going to be too hard to do it all on my phone so I had to bring my ipad into the horse park, and deal with selecting all the seats, etc . . . sitting at a picnic table. But then still had to deal with the fall purchase date to get our tailgate space purchased. So, maybe it was because my buying is a little more complicated and we have particularly places we like to sit, but it felt like an added hassle to my trip.

That said, I’m very excited that we don’t have much longer to wait for the entry list and for it to be time to go!

WHY ARENT I GOING THIS YEAR :sob::sob::sob::sob:

1 Like

Not many entries: a short day for the 5*. Maybe it is Covid restrictions working through? Badminton 5* hasn’t got a wait list this year, with only 85 runners.

That’s not the full list, just a teaser.

2 Likes

Ah, thank you for the info. But I recall Maryland 5* was light on entries last autumn, too.

Yes because of the world champs likely. This year is going to be busy for Kentucky I think.

5 Likes

Next year is the Olympics. So there are likely to be people showing their merit.

That list changes so much between now that when they assign ride times. :slight_smile: But at least we should shortly get an idea of who is interested in starting.

2 Likes

If the entries close on March 28 (tomorrow) would we expect that there would be a lot more entries? I was surprised at how few Europeans are on the ‘teaser’ list.

1 Like

I hope a lot more get added to KY. Vermiculus and Barnaby are also entered in Badminton, so they could drop off the KY entry list. Disappointed that Michael Jung won’t be in Ky this year. It’s a treat to watch him ride.

Ariel said she was going to Badminton when she was interviewed at Southern Pines

Maybe more Europeans will enter overnight, but not expecting it.

Next year’s Olympics are in Paris, so they don’t have to prove that their horse can travel overseas and perform well.

In fact, they probably feel that their best horses are better off not to make this trip as they prepare to try to make their own national teams.

It’s also not a surprise that North American riders are more likely to choose Badminton this year, and/or Burghley, to show that their horses can travel overseas and perform. And are ready to do that this close to the Olympics.

My guess is that, in this pre-Paris-Olympic year, Badminton and Burghley will have epic entries of the great and potentially great. :slight_smile:

Some observations from the teaser list:

No Doug Payne

No Palm Crescent

Several horses stepping down from the 5 :star: for the 4 :star:

Only 2?! Thoroughbreds in the 5 :star: so far. That has to be an all time low. A few in the 4 star.

3 Likes

I noticed a few 5 :star: in the 4 as well. Maybe aiming for a pan am selection? Like Cooley quicksilver?

1 Like