Unlimited access >

Large Pony Stallions or Big Mediums

I am looking for a large or big medium to breed to a small section A. Open to all breeds, just want something with a nice huntery flat knee movement and a decent jump. I want to add some height and improve the movement as best I can. Must be in the US.

I am looking for a mare I may purchase and one of my deciding factors is if I can find something nice to breed her to before she comes to Canada. She is 11.3hh by Severn High Life & very typey. Would like to get a medium sized baby.

Help :slight_smile:

Check out *Holyoake Copper-Field. He stands at Sterling Creek Welsh in California. We imported him as a foal. He is a full sister to our big show winner, *Holyoake Anastasia LOM, and he hit the show ring last spring for the first time in halter and performance and accumulated over 1300 WPCSA points in ONE season! He won in halter, English and Western, as well as hunters. He’s a SUPER pony. The Holyoake ponies are “born broke”, as his show results indicate. He was only under saddle for a matter of months before he began racking up the wins. He is 13.2 hands.

http://www.sterlingcreekwelsh.com/stallions.htm

I love Severn High Life…but you’re definitely going to want to find a stallion with flat kneed movement to help produce a pony hunter out of a typey Section A mare. I’m thinking you’re also going to need to look for a stallion that is much larger than a medium if you want to produce a medium out of an 11.3 HH mare. What about Empire’s Power to add some height? He’s in Virginia…and I’m assuming the Severn High Life filly is from that area too?

My coming 3 yr old buckskin stallion prospect is a big boy measuring 13.2 1/2 and still growing. He has an outstanding pedigree - grandson of the great Varndell Right Royal and all imported bloodlines. He is a huge flat mover and while he has a lot of size, he has a lovely small typey head, great neck and conformation and a very quiet temperament. You can see photos and video on my website and will have more in a couple of weeks. Would love to see photos of the mare to see if he might compliment her.

In addition to the above mentioned lovely ponies, there is also Crossgates Larasan, 14 hands, owned by Venture Stables; Rollingwoods Easy as L, 14 hands, owned by Rollingwoods Farm; Sugarbrook Blue Pacific, 13.1 1/2+, owned by Sugarbrook Farm; and Gayfield’s has another black PUREBRED who is already 14.2, named Gayfield’s Louisiana Man. Not sure what his movement is like but Gail said told me they may stand him to some mares this year. I think you have several options, not sure if you want to do AI or live or where the mare is located-Venture is in VA, Rollingwoods and Gayfield’s in AR, and Sugarbrook in FL. I also think that Clovercroft Polarized may be 13.2, but I could be wrong about that. Good luck! Severn High Life is a cutie! :slight_smile:

Absolutely agree with Amy’s suggestions. I have a gelding by Rollingwoods Easy As L and totally love him! Rollingwoods is in Mississippi though, not in Arkansas. Not sure if Gail will have shipped semen available for Louisiana Man. I also have a colt by Sugarbrook Blue Pacific and love him too. I have seen both sires of my boys in person and they are lovely. Clovercroft Polarized is 13.2hh. If the mare is in VA, the Mayes have Markus -a black large GRP by Makuba standing at their farm and I think they also have frozen semen from Empires Peter Pan, a large son of Empires Power.

[QUOTE=Daventry;5577426]
I love Severn High Life…but you’re definitely going to want to find a stallion with flat kneed movement to help produce a pony hunter out of a typey Section A mare. I’m thinking you’re also going to need to look for a stallion that is much larger than a medium if you want to produce a medium out of an 11.3 HH mare. What about Empire’s Power to add some height? He’s in Virginia…and I’m assuming the Severn High Life filly is from that area too?[/QUOTE]

Exactly why I want a flat mover! I was thinking a BRP would be a good option for getting the nice floaty movement I want.

Clovercroft Polarized is adorable! Quicksilver- your boy is also a real looker!

I will ask if I can post the photo I was sent. The mare is in VA, she will be bred AI.

Let me know if I can help you. I have VirginiaBred Matchmaking Service (check it out on Facebook or on my website) but Richard Taylor stands a grand one - Crossgates Larasan, section B, 14.0 hands, sire of Hilton Hhonors, One More Time and Midnight Hour.

Don’t know if he’s in line with what you’re looking for, but here’s Belafonte d’Avalon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgWqiuQgm2U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIJZnSjcEsA

This is the first year he will be standing and we have a spectacular introductory promotion for him. $350 booking fee and the breeding fee is waived. Contact me if you want more info on him :).

I realize that I’ll be going against the welsh grain here, lol, but what about Wicked Court Jester? He’s 14h, gorgeous head/neck, flatter mover in front but still good behind, great jumper and really stamps his offspring. Might be interesting…

You might consider my German Riding Pony stallion, Burberry. He is the right size and is proving to be a wonderful hunter type as well as a dressage dynamo. Very fertile and we have some good discounts available.

I realize that I’ll be going against the welsh grain here, lol, but what about Wicked Court Jester? He’s 14h, gorgeous head/neck, flatter mover in front but still good behind, great jumper and really stamps his offspring. Might be interesting…

I’ll second that even though I too have Welsh :winkgrin: I have a Wicked Court Jester daughter here in training and I love her. She’s very sensitive and forward but has a gorgeous trot, canter and a shoulder to die for. While all the other offspring look like Daddy I have to admit that I don’t see hardly any of Daddy in this one. She is the spittin’ image of her dam. What I do like though and will attribute it to him is this mare is smart, sensible and really willing to listen to whomever will step up and be the leader. If I had a bottomless pocketbook I think I’d take 2 or 3 more :smiley: Oh and the gal I have here by him is 14.0 hands and a smidge.

[QUOTE=quicksilverponies;5577476]
Rollingwoods is in Mississippi though, not in Arkansas. Not sure if Gail will have shipped semen available for Louisiana Man. [/QUOTE]

Woops sorry!! You are right Melinda, and I am also not sure about shipped semen for Louisiana Man. Gail said last year that he MAY be available this year for outside breeding but never said whether that was going to be AI or not. She could have changed her mind entirely.

OP, are you breeding this pony for resale?

What about Jackets Man of the Road?
He’s BRP and from what I have heard sires “huntery” foals. He doesn’t have any white though, which I know you like!

or

Meadow Fox Ronaldo
I don’t know much about him, but I know Foxmor had a beautiful foal by him last year that had quite a bit of bling (not sure if that came from sire or dam)
http://meadowfoxfarm.com/

The foal will either be grown up and re-sold or added to my breeding progam. All depends when pops out! I’m hoping a filly and then I can add the lines of the chosen sire to my group. I’d really like to use Blue Rain or Telynau Royal Charter (obviously would get a small). But I wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing out any other.

Meadow Fox Ronaldo is gorgeous. The mare will have a foal by her side (due in a week) so field service likely won’t be an option, unless I can work it out with her current owner.

Romany River Talisman is another I really like.

I have a two year old by him out of an Otteridge mare. The filly is lovely and a fabulous mover.

If you like the Eyarth Rio blood (ie Charter), you could purchase a Rio son very reasonably right now here in the US. Drop me an e-mail if you want details.

I was so upset to see Eyarth Rio sold to a “less than stellar” home :frowning: If I’d known where he was going to end up selling, I would have purchased him myself. I don’t know, maybe I totally got the wrong impression on that sale. But when he sold, the new owners website looked like they were planning on breeding him to their mini’s or Shetlands…whatever they had! :no: Sometimes you gotta overlook the money and decide what’s best for the breed. Rio has produced some fabulous stallions out there! I can’t even seem to find him on the internet anymore.

Romany River Talisman is another I really like.[/QUOTE]

I have several Talisman babies and they are all gorgeous with very flat kneed movement. They are also all refined and have tiny ears with cute very dished faces. The thing I like most about them is they have the best personalities!

Oops, forgot about Burberry, he’s darling too!:yes: