Unlimited access >

Lentenor Consigned to Keeneland December Digital Sale

Total flops usually don’t get to keep and use their jewels.

One who comes to mind whose offspring generally outperformed himself is Pioneering, a half brother to Storm Cat. He was unplaced in listed stakes and only had a maiden and allowance win in 6 starts. While he didn’t light the world on fire, he did sire quite a few graded stakes winners much better than himself before being sold to South America.

Distorted Humor will be remembered more for his get than for his racing career.

Halo is remembered for his get (and his temperament) rather than for his racing career.

Tapit won a G3 and MSW at 2 and the G1 Wood Memorial at 3 and that was it.

Not a “flop” but much the better sire than racehorse.

Exactly - which is why I asked. If Lentenor was not a full brother to Barbaro, I am sure he would have been gelded long ago.

1 Like

I think that they were hoping to get a full sister to Barbaro from La Ville Rouge but kept getting colts. Still didn’t make sense to keep intact and breed the colts who didn’t run well.

Mr.Prospector will be remembered as a sire, not a star on the track.

1 Like

Probably, possibly. You can look at it two ways: you can say he was “only a full brother to Barbaro” or you can say “he is a stakes winner out of a multiple stakes producing mare by a stallion who stood for six figures.” While not a Kentucky sire race record, there’s a fair chance he could have had a regional stud career regardless of who his brother was. He’s a good looking horse with a good temperament.

I feel like while the Barbaro brothers had a lot of advantages, they also take a lot of undeserved criticism. Lentenor and Nicanor certainly flunked out of the breeding shed on their own merits, but being Barbaro’s brothers probably hurt their chances in the shed more than it helped them. Everyone has opinions on the Barbaro story, many of them negative.

2 Likes

? But he was by no stretch of the imagination a flop on the track. Won 7 of 14. 7-4-2 actually, so he only finished out of the money once. Set a track record at Gulfstream and at Garden State. He was 2nd in a race at Hialeah in which a track record was set. Was 2nd to Forego in the Carter Handicap - pretty formidable competition.

3 Likes

No he wasn’t a flop, but he wasn’t really a star either. None of his wins were in Grade1 or even Grade 2 stakes races.

The Carter Handicap was probably his best showing being 2nd in a Grade 1.

My point being, not that he was a flop per se, but that there was really nothing in his racing career that would have predicted his incredible influence as a sire.

Secretariat, who was his contemporary, on the other hand was a race horse extraordinaire and was less than stellar as a sire of sires, which goes to show you never can tell. :smile:

1 Like

Mr. P did start his stud career in Florida, which was at the time a good fit for a horse with his breeding and track record. As soon as it became obvious that he was dramatically improving the mares he was bred to…well, history was redirected posthaste.

Another celebrated son of Raise A Native absolutely fizzled as a sire of sires. Alydar never got anything that remotely approached his record in the shed. Easy Goer was easily the best of Alydar’s sons as a sire, but of course they lost him early on.

I dunno - 2 track records, regardless of what grade the race was, is pretty impressive. I was looking specifically for horses that had no notable accomplishments whatsoever on the track that ended up being good sires. My point was that it would be very rare as non-performers on the track usually get gelded.

Complete non-performers, I’m sure you’re right…

1 Like

Calumet is selling several in the last two books at Keeneland November this year.

https://catalog.keeneland.com/catalog/

I see a couple of English Channel covers or broodmares by English Channel, but not really any weanlings or broodmares in foal to their other stallions.

I counted about 30 broodmares being consigned by Calumet in the November sale. All with amazing European pedigrees.

although the most interesting pedigree I have seen recently is posted on Wanamaker’s. There is a Behesht filly out of a full-sister to Group 3 winner Goken, the Leading Freshman Sire in France in 2020. https://wanamakers.com/catalogue/single/316

1 Like

The Behesht filly looks lovely! Very well balanced!

OK I am digitally challenged. I thought there were only 7 sessions because I didn’t scroll down all the way and totally missed the last 3 sessions!