Unlimited access >

Let's talk about Lani

[QUOTE=Shammy Davis;8656425]
Native Dancer was quite a handful also. The list of talented horses that were temperamental is a great deal longer than one might think. Many years ago I read a study that concluded that there was a fine line to be drawn by conditioners and owners when it comes to cutting a well pedigreed colt with patient optimism and handling being the primary factor for success. GT is right. No one in their right mind would cut this colt. I also agree how wonderful it is to stay invested in the Caro line. This is a very interesting and fun pedigree to look at. Wasn’t there a very talented stallion tail male to Caro standing in CA some years back? SIberian …? I recall the owner was crazy and probably should have been gelded. I recall the CA courts took an interest him.[/QUOTE]

Nyquist is descended from Caro through that CA stallion.

Nyquist/Uncle Mo/Indian Charlie/In Excess/Siberian Express/Caro

Unless you were thinking of Siberian Summer (also by Siberian Express)?

How stupid of me. Lani comes through the AP Indy line. I apologize if I’ve confused anyone.

Nyquist is through Caro. I have been looking at too many pedigrees. I hope I wasn’t just dreaming when I saw Stymie appear in one of the pedigrees, but I need to take a step back.

Now that I think about it, the owner of Siberian Summer was the one I remembered. The guy ended up in court, lost his CA license, went bankrupt, and lost his ownership interest in the stallion. Not to scare anyone in KY, but last I heard the guy turned up in KY and couldn’t pay his bills there either. Sadly, he was still breeding, buying, and selling.

Thanks for getting me back on track.

Two pages of conversation on Lani? What on earth? Didn’t see that one coming… he must have really left an impression on folks.

[QUOTE=Pronzini;8656597]
Dubai I understand but I would rethink your anti California stance–in the last three years 6 of the 9 top placings in the Derby were California based. It’s becoming a thing.[/QUOTE]

I was going to say, you realize California Chrome, American Pharoah, and Nyquist were all based out of California?

1 Like

Shug McGaughey had a very successful colt that always had to be saddled on the track or infield, I can’t remember the horse’s name. The paddock was too stressful and he would act up.
And Fusaichi Pegasus and his son Bellamy Road were both notorious for acting up.
Even Cigar, I have heard Jerry Bailey laugh about how sometimes Cigar would stop to look around and there was no moving him until the horse was ready to go.
I think the media makes a big deal out of very young colts bursting with fitness and steroids because of ignorance about horses.

Surgery might not make any difference. We had a mare that had to be blindfolded in the saddling area. If she was she would stand quietly. Also knew of one that had to be handed off to the pony inside the saddling area. Some are very neurotic and have their quirks. You do what you have to to get them to the races.

I wish they would limit the number of horses in the race to 10-12.

[QUOTE=danceronice;8657665]
I was going to say, you realize California Chrome, American Pharoah, and Nyquist were all based out of California?[/QUOTE]

Bill Shanklin agrees.

http://www.horseracingbusiness.com/the-golden-state-streak-continues-14066.htm

[QUOTE=Shammy Davis;8657882]
Bill Shanklin agrees.

http://www.horseracingbusiness.com/the-golden-state-streak-continues-14066.htm[/QUOTE]

When Paddy Gallagher’s California based MAIDEN almost took the Wood Memorial, it was probably a sign of things to come in the Derby.

The racing is tough out here.

[QUOTE=Texarkana;8656949]
Two pages of conversation on Lani? What on earth? Didn’t see that one coming… he must have really left an impression on folks.[/QUOTE]

Certainly made an impression on me, for what reason - other than the things I explained in my first post - I do not know. He’s a good horse, just has an attitude that wont quit. :lol: :lol: :lol:

[QUOTE=Flying Fox;8656257]
More close in time are Nearco (1957), Nasrullah (1940) and Ribot (1952).
Nearco was always referred to as of high-mettle. In fact, he was strong-willed to the point of
mulishness, a quirk of temperament he passed to many of offspring, including Nasrullah. A high-class racehorse, widely regarded as the best horse in England to ten furlongs, he failed to win a Classic, and
often as not, it appeared that lack of resolution rather than lack of ability that brought about his defeats. This undesirable psyche he bequeathed. Grey Sovereign was a victim, a strong-willed and irresolute character, handed down to hint by his brilliant forebears. On his better days he was a handful for the very best - but on others, he would sulk, and refuse to race, standing stock still when the tapes
released for racing.[/QUOTE]

The Grand Dam First Act is out of a mare named Arkadina, who is sired by Ribot. :yes:

I was going to say, you realize California Chrome, American Pharoah, and Nyquist were all based out of California?[/QUOTE]

Yes, LOL

California horses have always been good, but it used to be such a disadvantage. Perhaps not anymore, and certainly not recently! Are they flying the horses out now, rather than driving? Managing the time change better? Heading to KY/East Coast longer? …Yoga?

[QUOTE=Texarkana;8656949]
Two pages of conversation on Lani? What on earth? Didn’t see that one coming… he must have really left an impression on folks.[/QUOTE]

I read this yesterday. Still makes me chuckle today.

A recent article about Lani and the Preakness…

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/meet-lani--the-horse-that-threatens-to-make-the-preakness-weird-234633023.html

Are you thinking of Coronado’s Quest? He was quite a handful, and passed that along to at least some of his offspring. He had three crosses of *Nasrullah, and *Ribot fairly close up in his sire’s damline.

What’s not to love? Lani arrives at Pimlico, aroused and wearing pink hooker boots!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtPsIL8xDqE

[QUOTE=Vivace;8654603]
I was actually really disappointed that the telecast didn’t cover him more. Foreign horse, quirky behavior, best jock in Japan? The story seemed to write itself.[/QUOTE]

Had he won, think of the feature film that would have been made!

They are talking about him now. Stall doors both shut, he likes to be alone in the dark.

I feel sorry for the guy. And yeah, about Stymie, I don’t think I’ve ever seen him a pedigree. I know he’s in some, I’ve just never seen him before.

Does anybody but me remember Silky Sullivan and Swaps? To name just two more …

[QUOTE=Rackonteur;8671540]
Does anybody but me remember Silky Sullivan and Swaps? To name just two more …[/QUOTE]

I just saw some gorgeous pictures of Swaps at the Tony Leonard exhibit at the Headley Whitney museum.

[QUOTE=MonterStables;8659019]
Certainly made an impression on me, for what reason - other than the things I explained in my first post - I do not know. He’s a good horse, just has an attitude that wont quit. :lol: :lol: :lol:[/QUOTE]

Tapit’s Rising Son
18 May, 2016 12:57 PM 137 Comments

[QUOTE=Rackonteur;8671540]
Does anybody but me remember Silky Sullivan and Swaps? To name just two more …[/QUOTE]

So are trying to identify COTH horse racing enthusiasts who are being held in elderly assisted living facilities against their will?

1 Like