Unlimited access >

Let's talk about Lani

I got a real kick out of Lani on Saturday- they saddled him down by the starting gate, by himself. But, the funny part was when they broke from the gate, he just cantered along, like “ooohhh, a muddy track. I think I will stay back here, where I won’t get mud thrown in my face.” :lol:

Count me in as another who feels badly for Lani. I don’t care what they like to say, no horse wants to be in a stall with both doors shut.
Get the horse some help and learn how to handle him so he can have something of a life.

First of all, his handlers are professionals, some of the best in their country and the world. I cannot believe it would be insinuated that they need to “learn how to handle” him. They have commented how different the stabling and training accommodations are in US racing versus Japanese racing. In Japan, horses live at training centers where there is a lot more flexibility and options for their management. Poor Lani has been stuck on the backside since he’s been in the US, limited to 12x12 stalls, shedrows, asphalt, and track hours. Our horses are used to that, he is not.

Secondly, three pages of conversation?!? Seriously??? :lol: :wink:

Texarkana don’t be so cold-hearted. We are being sympathetic to the colt. Three pages is clearly required. Please, a little latitude here would be helpful. Lani will probably go back to Japan and we’ll have start a whole new thread by August for another troubled colt or filly. Pass me the tissues, please.

Lol, Shammy!

Sorry, the implication that COTHers know better than his connections put me over the top. :lol:

[QUOTE=Texarkana;8674929]
First of all, his handlers are professionals, some of the best in their country and the world. I cannot believe it would be insinuated that they need to “learn how to handle” him. They have commented how different the stabling and training accommodations are in US racing versus Japanese racing. In Japan, horses live at training centers where there is a lot more flexibility and options for their management. Poor Lani has been stuck on the backside since he’s been in the US, limited to 12x12 stalls, shedrows, asphalt, and track hours. Our horses are used to that, he is not.

Secondly, three pages of conversation?!? Seriously??? :lol: ;)[/QUOTE]

I have not seen the horse in person. But every account speaks of a pretty unhappy horse.

I HAVE seen many “professionals” in many sports I would not let handle my horses. So the fact that they are “professionals” means nothing to me.

I’ve known a couple of Tapits who were pretty opinionated. Apparently he is one. But having to keep him locked up and away from everyone else constantly means, to me, they can’t handle him well.

[QUOTE=Texarkana;8674945]
Lol, Shammy!

Sorry, the implication that COTHers know better than his connections put me over the top. :lol:[/QUOTE]

This multiple posting experience is getting around. Just saw it over on “moving the Preakness.” On that thread, Palm Beach pleaded “windows 10, not cocktails.” I’m a little skeptical now. Is there a party going on that I haven’t been invited to?

As for Lani, the great English horseman and writer Ivor Herbert in his biographical book “Red Rum” wrote something like “god put man on the earth to confuse horses.” Don’t know if that is Lani’s problem or not, but I can’t argue with Herbert on the observation. The story of Ginger McCain, a part-time cabbie and part-time trainer in the beginning of his career, buying and then training the former seller Red Rum to 3 Grand National wins is proof of that. All of Red Rum’s previous trainers and owners thought the great horse was lame and taking up stall space.

My double posting must have been a subconscious attempt to drag out the conversation. :lol:

[QUOTE=Texarkana;8675218]
My double posting must have been a subconscious attempt to drag out the conversation. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I think everyone is trying to be polite. I know when I have not been invited to a party. Pass me the tissues.

I think that Lani is a beautifully bred and beautiful specimen of a horse. I think he has a lot of talent in the right hands, the right hands are not who he’s with. With that being said, I think his owners and trainers are running him in every triple crown race just for the experience.

If you had the funds and the horse capable of doing it, why not. I wouldn’t personally hammer a horse in all 3 triple crown races unless it was winning but to say I had a starter in the KY derby would be pretty special.

With that being said, you’d think they would’ve brought a working partner over with him or hire an American jockey who knows what to do in such an environment. He finished 5th which really is not bad, considering, he needs a better ride and better direction

Despite Lani’s kick out at the gate, the whole triple crown experience seems to be helping his attitude as he has matured quite a bit since prior to the Derby. With that being said; locking a horse up tight in a stall isn’t helping his attitude at all. Sounds like he is just very sour. Time for some turnout time and some folks who can handle him properly and instill some manners.

I feel bad for the horse. I don’t think he is intentionally difficult. I own a TB who was housed off track 90% of the time because he needed turnout time or else he would jump out of his skin and would become beyond difficult. He was with trainers who accommodated that.

If they go for the Belmont, I hope they condition him, get a better jockey, and le the horse see the light of day. If they skip the Belmont, I hope Lani gets a deserved break

[QUOTE=Texarkana;8674929]

Secondly, three pages of conversation?!? Seriously??? :lol: ;)[/QUOTE]

Well, I agree with you for the most part but have to admit I was shocked to see him walking over for the Preakness with remnants of manure on his coat. I would have had him so clean you could have eaten off his side. Took these pics myself.

Lani.jpg

Lani1.jpg

[QUOTE=Shammy Davis;8675225]
I think everyone is trying to be polite. I know when I have not been invited to a party. Pass me the tissues.[/QUOTE]

I think a big red bandanna is more your style than tissues. :smiley:

I think that they are scared to death of the horse, and his entire existence is harder for it.

Was War Emblem a major jerk before he went to Japan? (I honestly have no idea) Did he become a jerk/bigger jerk while he was there?

Was War Emblem a major jerk before he went to Japan? (I honestly have no idea) Did he become a jerk/bigger jerk while he was there?

From what I recall, War Emblem was ALWAYS a massive jerk. Baffert said last year that he could not have let people get anywhere near War Emblem like they could with American Pharoah “because he would savage them”. I found this quote in a NYT article about his life at stud:

“He was one the quirkiest horses I’ve ever had,” said the trainer Bob Baffert, who won his third Derby with War Emblem and pulled into the Belmont Stakes with a chance to sweep the Triple Crown. The big, black son of Our Emblem, however, stumbled at the gate and finished eighth.

“He was real temperamental,” Baffert said. “He did not like other horses or people that much. We used to joke that he may have had an unhappy childhood.”

He probably did get even worse while he was in Japan (if that’s possible), because they kept throwing mares in his face :lol:

Thanks so much, RP!! :yes:

LOL.

http://www.horsenation.com/2016/05/25/an-open-love-letter-to-lani-the-weirdest-race-horse-ever

Thanks for the article link–that was a great read !

(I wonder if he got down and rolled before going over-use to have a sneaky fellow that would be clean until suddenly he wasn’t in a blink of an eye! And if he is studdish- a closed door may keep him from running the stall from overstimulation. )

Lani headed to 2017 BC, among other big races. Retires to stud in the USA.

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/owner-has-big-plans-for-lani/

He was born chestnut. That very well may been his true coloring, because he hasn’t fully grayed out yet, as most don’t until 4.

[QUOTE=ASB Stars;8676177]
I think that they are scared to death of the horse, and his entire existence is harder for it.

Was War Emblem a major jerk before he went to Japan? (I honestly have no idea) Did he become a jerk/bigger jerk while he was there?[/QUOTE]

War Emblem was a monster looooooong before Japan. Baffert’s nickname for him was Hannibal Lecter. A 2002 article, pre-Belmont:

http://articles.latimes.com/2002/jun/02/sports/sp-belmontside02

The insinuations that the Japanese don’t know how to deal with these difficult horses blows my damn mind. Insane. Yes, they know how to handle and deal with them, yes, they can train them, and NO, they are not afraid!