Unlimited access >

Liberty Training

Has anybody done liberty training? If so,how do you start? I’ve heard you start with groundwork. Any ideas for groundwork?I would love to hear from y’all about that.And,if any of you have anything bad or negative,or tearing down to say, there is that “Add to ignore list” action that I am more than willing to take…I really do not want to offend anyone,or do that,but if you get tough with me…does any more need to be said? :slight_smile: All I am asking for is groundwork exercises,and what all to do, and start with, in Liberty training.Thanks!

training at horse AT Liberty? Or a coined method called Liberty Training ? There’s a difference.

AT Liberty meaning horse is untethered and roaming free in a pasture/arena while you attempt to make it do what you want. If this is what you’re aiming for, please don’t.

As you were told in your other 2 threads, A) Horsie needs to heal. and B) you need a trainer.

You need to be extremely confident to do liberty training, or you may get hurt. As above…give your horse some time to heal :frowning:

redacted :rolleyes:

Parelli is not how to do it.

I do liberty with my horse, who is my first. I also had a lot of experience with training dogs before this. Your timing needs to be impeccable and if you aren’t VERY experienced with training animals of some sort, I would not. If you are even one second off with a reward/correction, the message is lost and you could wind up A, teaching the horse inappropriate behavior, B, confusing it, or C, not teaching it anything.

My horse started out with a rope halter on so I could redirect his attention as needed. If there is ANY chance your horse will try to run away with you, don’t do this. Your fingers could get caught in the halter and you could wind up seriously injured.

I did join up a few times in a round pen first, which more than anything teaches the horse to follow and keep focused on you. If your horse is injured this is a bad idea.

Practice new tricks or skills with a lead rope on first.

Really, if you aren’t super confident, there’s no reason you can’t do in-hand training instead. Just teach him some tricks in-hand.

I bet she’d like Parelli :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=Mosey_2003;7967604]
I bet she’d like Parelli :-P[/QUOTE]

Please don’t tell young impressionable children about Parelli or anyone else with “how to train your horse” videos. It’s a good way to get hurt. You can’t learn to train animals by watching a video. I hate Cesar Milan for the same reason.

[QUOTE=Mosey_2003;7967604]
I bet she’d like Parelli :-P[/QUOTE]

Probably, but lets trrrrrry to lead people to knowledge. :wink:

[QUOTE=dungrulla;7967615]
Please don’t tell young impressionable children about Parelli or anyone else with “how to train your horse” videos. It’s a good way to get hurt. You can’t learn to train animals by watching a video. I hate Cesar Milan for the same reason.[/QUOTE]
Who named you queen for the day? Parelli’s no less safe than any other at-home program, and we know she’s not going to go get a trainer.

We spent ten pages trying. Sometimes ya just gotta jump over the dead horse that’s taking a beating :yes:

[QUOTE=Mosey_2003;7967631]
Who named you queen for the day? Parelli’s no less safe than any other at-home program, and we know she’s not going to go get a trainer.

We spent ten pages trying. Sometimes ya just gotta jump over the dead horse that’s taking a beating :yes:[/QUOTE]

In-home training programs aren’t safe. That was my point :wink:

Well yeah, we all know that :wink: It’s the only option she’s willing to pursue, so what else ya gonna recommend?

Quite honestly, Parelli’s 7 Games really aren’t that bad a thing to work through. Not inherently dangerous. It’s after that he gets sketchy.

Honestly I don’t really feel like paying over 100 dollars for some seven games [bull] that I could learn from a trainer for half that instead.

I also really don’t like how his wife treats horses.

It’s like he has one or two pieces of chocolate in with an ENTIRE pile of [crap], and you have to eat the [crap] to get to the chocolate.

The book by…oh…is it John Richard Young? Suggested several times on another thread has been around for over 60 years and still available. Why not use the time while the mare heals to really learn horsemanship? Your mare(s) will like you better for it.

Teaching tricks and working with just a long whip as (legitimate, non PP) Liberty work requires is not really appropriate and you don’t have a safe enclosure free of other horses to do it in. There is quite a bit of an art to doing Liberty work properly and not really something you can teach yourself off the internet. Because the horse is not wearing any tack so you can control them, trying to self teach it does expose you more to the possibility of getting hurt.

If OP is talking about things like the 7 games and calling them “Liberty”? Probably wouldn’t hurt anything but falls into the “training” category her parents won’t spend a nickel on.

If you get down to it, most saddlebred show horses are essentially liberty trained.

In every training barn that I’ve ever been in, the older show horses can work themselves. They get long lined all the time. Put them in a bitting rig & they just go to work, trot around with their head where it’s supposed to be. Cluck or crack a whip & they pick up the pace or reverse direction as required.

There was the birthday video of Lextown a couple weeks ago. I’m pretty sure if you turned him out with a plume on top of his bitting rig, he’d look like he came from Barnum & Bailey’s.:slight_smile:

It does not happen over night. It takes a lot of repetition & consistency, and a confined area.

Set the horse free.

I think the Parelli comment was supposed to be a joke - no? - knowing the posters on this board. :slight_smile: (smiley just to make sure you understand.)

:wink:

Nobody understaaaaaands meeeee :sigh:

Oh I was with it, and she sure is prime to drink the Kool-Aid that’s for sure.

Y’all have an opportunity here to do some good. Step it up, coth.

Wish, have you considered doing showmanship? It’s very exacting, horses seem to get really into it, and I’m sure they do classes at the fair in it, possibly for monetary prizes. You can practice with any old halter and lead. I bet if you get snazzy with it, mom and dad will buy you a leather one. And you can practice in the yard, since you don’t have a loose horse. That way you can really concentrate.

We DID step it up. Deaf ears.