Unlimited access >

Live coverage of the National Hunter Derby

That makes sense. Yes, I thought the rounds in the top 30 were very relaxed and consistent, but lacked a bit of the brilliance from some of the earlier rounds. It is nice that if your horse comes in overly impressed the first day you’re guaranteed a chance to come back a second time.

Sandy on the three day schedule: “I would love to talk to someone about that schedule…”

Funny that they just brought up. She basically said it is very hard to get a horse to peak all three days, and that is a lot to ask from a horse, and she prefers the 3’6’’/3’9’’ format. Interesting to hear her thoughts!

It’s actually a different person doing the commentary on this round with the same British or Irish guy, whose name is Adam Cromarty(?).

I think I heard him say Sissy Wickes?

Correct.

Ah that makes a lot more sense, as she was talking about having ridden in the three earlier rounds - my brain didn’t quite catch up to the fact that wouldn’t be possible since Sandy had commentated the whole final round :sweat_smile: Thanks!

There are too many horses in the 3’/3’3" to get it done in two rounds on the same day.

The commentary in these classes has been excellent. I love it best when they actually talk about the actual trip that is going on. And comments about the horse, its conformation, and its style. Learned a lot today. Thank you commentators!

2 Likes

I don’t think she rode in it herself. Maybe she owned or trained in the earlier class.

Anyone find some of the derby scoring skewing very high? A 90 with a swap? :eyes:

I was surprised to see John French there at all, since it seemed like not that long ago that he got seriously hurt on a horse. But apparently he was not going to let that stop him!

Was there commentary on the other rounds?

Only the championship round for both heights.

1 Like

Sandy Ferrell did the 3’ - 3’3" and Sissy Wickes did the 3’6" - 3’9"

A couple of the scores in the 90s had me raising my eyebrows as well.

Does anyone know if the scores for the Classic Round are posted online somewhere?

USHJA posted them!

What time do the festivities start tomorrow (Sat 8/20)? I know there are 3 sections but can’t find start times

The prize list says Section B starts at 6:30, with Section A immediately following. Of course, that’s subject to change, but I haven’t seen any other source for times.

1 Like

Thanks. So Derby Challenge will be even earlier