Unlimited access >

Live coverage of the National Hunter Derby

Derby Challenge at 3pm I think.

Ok, I’m confused. I printed off the scores from Round 1 to have a scoresheet for watching this evening, which shows Private I 27th (at least in Section B), but just saw him go in the Challenge. How would he have dropped down? Or can they choose?

Any idea how much longer it’s going to go, if it’s still going?

On a break now. Handy section B starts at 6 followed directly by A. Does anyone know if these rounds are also clean slate?

Is anyone else disappointed in how much the Derby Finals have been “simplified” over the years? Don’t get me wrong, it’s still challenging, and the format now does make it more accessible. But I miss the old days when they had to halt between jumps, open/walk through a gate, dismount and lead horse over small jump, etc.

3 Likes

They just mentioned it in the commentary but “decorative” standing martingales are a pet peeve of mine. I know it’s commonplace for hunter tack/turnout, but I hate to see it encouraged or expected if the horse doesn’t need it.

Yippee for Hunt & Cannon Creek!!! I know Brunello won 3, but not in a row, right? Wouldn’t that be the hat trick!?

2 Likes

Brunello won three in a row. Only horse/rider pair to do so.

I think the rules have done away with opening and closing gates nowadays

I knew he won three, but I thought Jersey Boy won one in the middle. My bad