Unlimited access >

Looking for a device to monitor if my mare is getting proper sleep

Does anyone know of a device that will monitor if and how long a horse is laying down that doesn’t require a subscription to use? I know Nightwatch Safe Halters have this feature but they are out of my budget due to the high cost of just using them! I’ve found a couple of other ones that are similar, but again require a subscription.
I have the Equisense monitor for riding and LOVE it so I’m thinking something more like that system. Quick attachment and download is what I’m after. My mare doesn’t seem to be getting a full nights sleep.
She’s 28, still being ridden (her choice trust me!), rolls and is able to get up and down, but just doesn’t seem to be getting REM from I can tell. She’s been seen tipping over when napping upright, so I want to know that she is actually laying down to rest. I’ve considered trail cams to video, but I don’t have the time to go through all of the footage (I have a job and have to commute to the barn) plus the need for wi-fi isn’t really going to work in my situation. She’s been seen by the vet, has every gadget to ensure her comfort, gets daily full body massages, uses an ArcEquine, is on previcox, pentosan, glucosamine, etc seriously is living the best life! Her stall is heavily bedded and I would happily sleep in it if I had to it’s that cushy…so I just need something to help find out what’s going on.

Anyone have ideas?

Has she previously slept in this stall or does she only sleep outside?

She has been here now for over a year and as far as I can tell from shavings, has slept. She has a stall with attached paddock to roam as she pleases. Previous barn you could set your clocks to her, 10am outside roll, 2pm inside lay down nap and a full sleep in the night, but this one has a different routine so I know that she’s not laying down for a nap at 2 for sure. I come in the afternoon/evening and pick every piece of dust off of her and her clothing to know if she lays down after I’m gone. It’s been a few months now of her not being covered in shavings and I’m starting to worry.

They need REM sleep every few days at least but they only need about 2 hours and not all at once. It sounds from the narcoleptic near collapse that her sleep rhythm must be off. Has there been a change of routine or horses at the barn? My mare sleeps after her breakfast at 6 or 7 am. When I observe the barn different horses have different time slots so someone is always awake to watch for danger while others are out cold and snoring. But if there is a disruption in the morning my mare might not get her nap.

When do the other horses sleep? What’s the routine in the barn? If my mare has missed REM for a few days she will lie down and nap when I am trying to longe her. Before she learned to sleep inside, she wouldn’t be able to get proper sleep during multi day rainstorms and would drop and shut her eyes in the indoor arena.

We also have runout paddocks. Is it possible your mare is sleeping outside now it’s spring? Is there a comfy place to do this? Horses actually like sleeping in wide open spaces where nothing can sneak up, unlike us carnivores (cats dogs humans) who like to burrow in under the covers.

What kind of budget are you working with? I have seen a Nightwatch Halter in a buy/sell group. I bet I can dig up the ad again. I didn’t see anyone claim in.

What are your options to extend wifi to the barn? A wyze camera is really inexpensive. It takes maybe 5 minutes to scan through a night of footage.

it’s the subscription that is cost prohibitive, I don’t mind spending for the right gadget

1 Like

there are none, I board and in an area that cell service is not consistent either

Ah. I gotcha. I didn’t realize there was an extra step to the coverage.

Making sure I am understanding, you are just wanting video footage to review, not to necessarily keep close watch, like foal watch, right? So a recording system would work? Or are you specifically wanting biometrics?

no changes as far as I know, but half of them are in separate paddocks half of the day and brought back in around 2 so no one really sleeps during the day. She definitely will not lay down in the current paddock, it’s too busy out there and she’s alpha

The nightwatch halter communicates via wifi or cellular data–without either, it’s a pretty halter and an expensive paperweight.

With no connectivity, you’re really limited to things that will record and store locally, for retrieval at a later time. Trail cams might work, kind of, but they’re really all about taking a pic or series of pics when triggered by motion–in a stall, you’re going to be getting non stop pics all night, and drain the batteries down to nothing.

You really need something that plugs in and can store video to a SD card. Maybe a nanny cam?

What about a rug sensor? Sounds interesting…

I’m looking more for something that she can wear, like the Equisense I referred to, that doesn’t require wifi, cell service or a subscription, just links data via the free app.

I would prefer biometrics if possible

1 Like

The one I just posted is no longer available to individuals, but seemed like an interesting concept. Maybe someone else is making something similar.

yes and I believe that when they were in production they required subscription to work

I believe Horseware made one at one point, but I think it was just a weather/blanketing app

1 Like

Yeah, the one I posted above did more but neither are in production anymore. hmm…still pondering.

If the $20/month for the Nightwatch Halter is a deal killer, the 100 euros here is probably waaaaay out of scope

It’s not even available for individual sale anyways, so it doesn’t matter. I also did not look up how much either one was. Just throwing out ideas.