Unlimited access >

Looking for a device to monitor if my mare is getting proper sleep

100% appreciate the effort!

maybe I’ve read the nightwatch subscription wrong, because it didn’t say $20

It might be worth contacting the Equisense people about a firmware update that would do what you want, instead of trying to reinvent the wheel. It looks like that tool has some amount of local storage (you don’t have to keep your phone on your while you use it) and communicates via bluetooth. You won’t have any sort of real time notification, but you’d get the info you want when you sync each day. The worst thing they can say is no, but their website makes it sound like they’re interested in continuing to provide support. So reach out to them?

I am going off of this:

Here: https://www.smarthalter.com/products/buy

(Are you looking at the “as low as $101/month”? That’s if you FINANCE the purchase cost of the halter, not the monthly service fees.)

Regardless, if you don’t have wifi, and you don’t have reasonable 3G coverage at the barn, it’s not going to work. It runs either on wifi or on 3G, per their website.

I’ve thought about it and just might have to if there is nothing else, plus I’m sure I should probably stop buying new things anyway!

This one is interesting, but I haven’t figured out where the RFID comes from or who puts it in. It is a European thing, so maybe it’s assuming the horses are already microchipped? I’m not sure. Sorry, still not immediately helpful, but interesting.

very interesting!

The equisense people actually DID have a non riding wearable in development in 2016:

It was never brought to market and they refunded the kickstarter.

Makes an email to them about using the current sensor for this even more reasonable.

I’d get an Orscana. I’ve got one and I think it’s brilliant, especially for the price compared to other things on the market.

Well, what are you going to do if you decide she isn’t getting enough sleep? What is the plan?

Rather than buy a gadget - I’d just follow “the plan” now.

But - if you don’t have a plan, I’m not sure it matters.

well figuring out if she is getting the sleep will eliminate one reason that she is tipping over. It could be something physical then and I can do more investigating (more than I already have with the vet).

I don’t understand the pricing at all! it’s a subscription service correct?

What is confusing?

For the basic model:

“You buy the sensor [2500 euro] and then a monthly subscription fee to access the web platform”

The monthly fee is 100 euro, but a year is included in the price of the unit.

Oh, maybe the 2500 euro is for the dealer pack?

$100 here: https://equinecomfort.com/products/orscana-equine-health-monitor

this isn’t really as straight forward

I have the vet tool linked above, this is the activity tool. Different uses & pricing between the two.

The blanket wearable looks to be something entirely different, and no longer on their site? Perhaps they’ve moved away from it, and vendors are just working through the old stock. :woman_shrugging:

eta: this listing says there’s no monthly fee for the blanket wearable. The app hasn’t been updated in over a year (android) or two (iOS), so it does seem likely that this product has been largely abandoned by the company.

is the app still active? is there a subscription? it does look like what I’m after and the price would be great if it’s just the purchase without a subscription!

also, how does the horse wear it without a blanket, like in the summer? can it be attached to a mane, surcingle, or boot?

Well, ok. But, like what do you think it could be other than lack of sleep?

She’s been seen by the vet, has every gadget to ensure her comfort, gets daily full body massages, uses an ArcEquine, is on previcox, pentosan, glucosamine, etc seriously is living the best life! Her stall is heavily bedded and I would happily sleep in it if I had to it’s that cushy…so I just need something to help find out what’s going on.

It sounds like most needs are already addressed. The the only other “plan” to get her more sleep would be changing barns or turnout situations Is that something you can do?

Unless there was a neuro issue, I’m not sure what else you could do - but if she is otherwise fine under saddle, seems healthy, gets up and down…it doesn’t sound like a neuro issue.

1 Like

At this moment I’m really only looking for advice on a monitor, not divulging into details that are for other threads.

LOL ok it’s your money.
Just not sure it’s really necessary to buy a monitor to confirm what you probably already know.

1 Like

you’re right, I started a thread knowing that she wasn’t likely getting enough REM, stating that I was looking for a device to confirm it. Which would indicate that I am in fact wanting to spend my money because I’ve put thought into it.