Unlimited access >

Looking for a device to monitor if my mare is getting proper sleep

Have you asked your vet or a vet school? Unless the locking apparatus in the legs is malfunctioning, I believe falling down while asleep standing up is pretty much always sleep deprivation. And sleep deprivation occurs because the horse isn’t getting enough REM sleep, which I think they must be lying down to achieve.

In my horse’s case, we haven’t been able to solve the root cause - not laying down to sleep. We’ve tried lots of things and he just won’t lie down to sleep anymore except for a few minutes here and there outside in the pasture.

yes she is seen regularly and has been seen for this specific reason as well, so I’m looking to monitor her sleep to get a better picture

Can you use anything human intended, like a fall detector that beeps you if she is immobile?

I’m not sure that is what I’m after, I would like to have something that tells me how long she lays down for if at all

You can do this for about twenty bucks with a security camera that stores to an sd card.

I would rather not have to watch hours of footage if possible, I have limited time at the barn as it is. A quick app would be preferred. So far the orscana is the closest to what I’m after so might give it a go

…so there’s this thing called a fast forward button? :rofl:

Glad you have something you think might do what you need. If it doesn’t wind up working, you can actually lay eyeballs on your horse and watch an entire night of footage in about five minutes :+1:

2 Likes

I’m not sure why asking for a specific item has become something that this forum is twisting into something ridiculous. If I had asked for info on where to find a certain bridle, you guys would be after me for even using one, needing to check my horses teeth, telling me she doesn’t want to be ridden, etc

I’m just looking to monitor her sleeping time. It’s not out of the ordinary to ask.

So, again as I mentioned, yes she’s been seen by a vet (multiple times a year), I don’t have time or desire to watch hours of footage (am glad that you all have that extra time) even in fast forward, I’m specifically looking for something to attach to her that will monitor if she is laying down to sleep properly.
Forgive me for being exact in what I want so that there wasn’t any confusion :roll_eyes:

There are quite a few ways to do this. You think they are all terribly unsuitable for no reason.

Given the absolute DEARTH of devices on the market that do this that you do deem suitable, (errrr, one, kind of? and it looks to be abandoned orphan wear?) it is apparently an out of the ordinary request.

I’d expect that the time to fast forward through overnight footage to be about = to the time you’ll spend connecting to this gadget, downloading the data, looking at it on your phone, charging the dongle, and finding it after it falls off & your horse steps on it :woman_shrugging:

Let us know how it goes, though! Good luck!

2 Likes

actually I have put thought into it and if me not taking your side is the equivalent of being unreasonable, I’ll reiterate my original post because you seem to have been unable to read it or the responses properly.
*I am specifically looking for a device to monitor time laying down to sleep
*I don’t want a subscription
*I don’t have wifi so I likely can’t have a subscription anyway
**this one is important, I don’t have the time to go through footage PLUS it also would require me to find a power source which I don’t have readily available within the barn, and to remedy that, I would have to have an external battery to power this trail cam which would then both need to be charged frequently. It would also require me to have an SD card that I would have to exchange between devices to be able to view the footage and I’m sure if you think loosing a dongle is going to be a problem, I can’t wait to tell you how small the SD cards are. Now all of this setup is NOT an option because altogether it’s a LOT more than the $20 you seem to think that it will cost and if I’m paying that couple hundred I might as well get a gadget that does more than just take pictures…I’ve put some thought into this option which is why, again, I’m looking for a gadget to help me.
*I’m not looking to be part of the next NASA mission, so “abandoned orphan wear” might actually suit my needs especially since one of the members here is still using and recommending it
*do not misinterpret me looking to use a gadget with me not looking after my horse properly
so yup, all terribly unsuitable for no reason

I don’t think anyone is insinuating that, at all. It’s obvious that your horse receives excellent care. Which is why it sort of seems odd to me that you need to confirm this theory rather than just make changes, if that is an option.

Have you looked for a used Nightwatch Smart Halter? I’ve seen them on FB from time to time. Otherwise I don’t think there is another product that meets your requirements.

I’m sorry, I don’t understand. I only bought the Orscana as a one off payment to purchase the device and downloaded the app, which was free to use.

the “device” attached to the horse’s neck sends a signal to the chip in the horse’s neck

RFID is Radio-frequency identification, “the device’s” signal actives the RFID chip embedded in the neck to respond …Here I am and this is my ID number. The signal from the device is used to power the response of the RFID chip as the chip is inert. Basically the chip bounces the signal back to the sending unit

The device then matches the data from the chip to ensure the device is on the proper horse.

The RFID is Incorporated into the device’s function

Maybe look into something meant for smaller animals? We have a tracking device on our dog. It does have a subscription but the device plus the subscription for a year is minimal. It tracks where our dog is and her activity. I’m presuming you can use this information to also track her hours stationary. BUT it wouldn’t track if she’s lying down… it’s called Tractive if you want to have a look at it.

1 Like

I know how RFIDs work. My point was that the company does not list who puts the chip into the horse’s neck, whether it needs to be purchased separately, or if it’s going off of the European standard or horses already being microchipped, which is not as common in the US.

If your horse is lame, do you bring the vet in for diagnostics or just ride it in a another ring and hope that different footing will make it go away?

I’m specifically looking to track laying down

sorry, it was implied in another response that it was “abandoned orphan wear” so I was wondering if you are still able to use the app without issues?

Okay, so, it’s clear you haven’t actually looked around at what’s available in this space. Let me help you out.

This is two cameras and two memory cards for $40. They run on wifi but also store locally.

This is one camera and one memory card for $30, with a coupon for an additional 11% off, so $27. It stores locally and runs on a battery.

This is one camera and one memory card for $29. It runs on wifi but also stores locally, and is weatherproof, so can be used outside.

This is one camera and one memory card for $40, with a 10% off coupon, so $36. It runs on wifi but also stores locally. Battery powered and weatherproof.

Etc.

You might care quite a bit more if you find that you can’t make the dongle connect, or if the app stops working because they’re no longer updating it, or if it’s dead right out of the box and unable to hold a charge because it was manufactured four years ago and has been sitting in the box since then.

Literally no one has said this, or insinuated this. In the least.

I’m curious–if this dongle says your horse isn’t lying down, what does that tell you? You already know that, right? Do you actually learn anything new? Or, what if it says she IS lying down? Do you believe it? You already know she’s not with her symptoms of sleep deprivation. Presumably you’re not seeing shavings in her mane or tail, or signs she’s down in her stall, right? How are you even going to attach it, since we’re coming out of blanket season? You can’t put it on a halter if it’s designed to be worn at a static position on the hip…the head moves too much. So you have to buy a fly sheet, maybe? And sew a little pouch on it? Just for this?

If you have video, you can see what your horse is doing. Is there something bothering her in her stall that’s causing her to not rest? Does she nod off and fall? What exactly is happening overnight?

Or, hey, contact the Equisense people about the gadget you already have, since they actually look to actively support it and might be able to implement a way to do this for you, wouldn’t that be cool.

This really seems to be a solid case of “I know what I want, don’t bother me with the truth or other options”…which is cool. You do you. But if it doesn’t work, or if you don’t find out what you need, there sure are more ways to skin this cat more effectively.

Good luck!

4 Likes