Unlimited access >

Looking for amateur friendly chestnut stallion

Hi everyone. I’m looking to breed my 10 year-old Holsteiner mare, Lanie. Lanie is by Cicera’s Icewater and out of my childhood horse, an OTTB named Liberty (registered as Red Hot Drawers). Lanie is 15.2 and has a great mind. I’d be happy replicating her, but would be thrilled to get an even more amateur-friendly horse. Lanie is extremely well behaved on the ground and usually good under saddle, but can be spooky and will take advantage of a rider if she thinks she can get away with it.

I raised and started Lanie and will be doing the same with this foal. Liberty, who had been in my life since she was 5, passed away at 31 late last year. I’m so glad that she had a happy, long life, but miss her every day. I’m extremely grateful to have Lanie, who I adore, and want to continue Liberty’s line. So I will not be selling, regardless of what I get. :crossed_fingers:

Like Liberty, Lanie is a jumper. I’d like a horse who is a capable jumper, but am not looking for Grand Prix level. I’d much prefer a horse that could comfortably show Level 2 and then go enjoy a relaxed trail ride. I’m also not opposed to hunters or dressage if the horse doesn’t thrive as a jumper.

In short, my requirements for a stallion are ones that are (1) known for consistently producing amateur-friendly offspring with excellent temperaments who are capable hunter, jumper, or dressage horses; and (2) chestnut. (I know the color requirement is kind of absurd, but Liberty was a striking chestnut and I really want to hold onto that piece of her.) I’d prefer a stallion under 16.3 but wouldn’t exclude one over that. I also know that height - like everything in breeding - is a bit of a gamble. Liberty was 16.2 and Icewater was 16.3, but I still ended up with a mare a full hand shorter. :woman_shrugging: And I’m partial to Warmbloods but open to other breeds, including a TB-style appendix.

Thanks very much for your help! Much appreciated.

Photo of Lanie is below in case helpful.

7 Likes

Billy Mexico or Uno De Laubry

The first thing I think of when someone says “amateur friendly chestnut stallion” is Belissimo M. I have had the pleasure of handling several of his young horses now and love him. While he is a dressage stallion he had a great jumping score at his 30-day testing and comes from a strong female family that was known to produce jumpers.

The second stallion I think of is Quaterback. He is another dressage stallion with deceptive jumping lines. The H/Jers love him. He won’t make an UL horse IMO if that is a consideration.

Neither of these are specifically eventing stallions. I think Worthy Opponent may be a look but I have no experience with his offspring. Your question made me realize all my favorite stallions are bay… other than Belissimo M. Are you wanting to keep the blood up? I imagine Lanie must be close to 70% blood?

I am sorry to hear of your loss with Liberty. She sounds like a lovely mare and her daughter Lanie is beautiful, I love her expression.

5 Likes

Two more to consider are Widmark and Wild Dance. Both are Hanoverians and have more offspring doing dressage but have decent jumping test scores and some offspring eventing or jumping.

I’ve seen several Widmark babies owned and ridden by AAs and they’ve all had fabulous brains. I have a mare by Wild Dance that I bought as a weanling.

Widmark - https://www.oakwoodhanoverians.com/blank-1

Wild Dance - https://www.eurequine.com/wild-dance
Note that Wild Dance is a WFFS carrier so you would want to test your mare and ensure she’s negative if you use him.

Thank you! I really appreciate it. I don’t have strong feelings about keeping the TB blood strong. I’d guess she’s about 60-70% TB. I’ve been wary of adding TB blood because the TBs I’ve ridden (namely Liberty) have been very hot. But I’ve really only been exposed to OTTB, and most of my time with them was when I was less experienced, so I’m sure my lack of skill contributed to the issue.

1 Like

Thanks! I had been looking at Wild Dance. He seems to have produced versatile, amateur friendly offspring. Was your mare by him relatively easy to start?

If you’re ok with a bigger foal, Legaczy. He and his children are the definition of amateur friendly.

I saw Widmark in person at the Hanoverian inspection I attended last year.

NICE horse, great personality, quiet as a mouse with all the mares and babies coming in and out of the barn all night and all day. I even got to snuggle with him for a minute or two.

If I were looking for a chestnut, he’d be high on my list.

1 Like

Check out Fortunato H20- he’s a young upcoming USA bred dressage stallion. He’s great minded his own will be showing him 4th level this year and he’s also been doing the para dressage with another rider! I think he’d be a great cross over breeding type to cross with a jumper mare. He has a facebook page.

1 Like

Fortunato H20 (Tuna) is a great suggestion. I also agree with Belissimo. I would not use Quaterback - he has some really difficult and quirky offspring.

I’d also check out Five Star, L Primo with DG Bar Ranch, and Lordswood Bernstein with Hilltop. Also, the American Hanoverian Association is having their yearly semen auction for stallions. Several mentioned are featured:

Beau Balou also comes to mind. I’d also check out Westphalians for USA on FB. They sell semen with many stallions checking your boxes. You can contact Andrea with your requirements and she would be a great resource for stallion fit.

3 Likes

I was going to suggest Beau Balou. I have heard he’s quite ammy friendly and throws the same mind. I am definitely biased (my chestnut foal is by Balou du Rouet) but I think his bloodlines are sufficiently versatile that you would have good odds of producing a horse that could do an amateur-level of virtually any discipline.

1 Like

P.S.- I don’t think the color requirement is at all silly. I didn’t breed my foal but bought him because then I could guarantee color. It’s mud season and I am slightly regretting the chrome… but I will never regret the red! Both of my mares are chestnut and if I ever bred them I would 100% pick a stallion that guaranteed chestnut. It’s not like you’re aiming for some rare color. Chestnut is common and there’s nothing wrong with preferring and breeding for it.

2 Likes

Look at SpyCoast’s new stallion Grafton!

If you are willing to use frozen, what about Arezzo VDL? Great temperament and proven GP horse and GP producer. Never hurts to have more scope than you need!

I am a sucker for Chin Chin horses, though. My boy is by a Chin Chin son and he has the absolute best temperament in the universe.

I was a working student at the time at the barn that imported Cicera’s Icewater when he was 3. He’s an incredible horse…talk about scope for miles. Your pretty girl has a look of him.

1 Like

I second Billy Mexico and Arezzo. Another one people rave about temperament wise is Tangelo

Since you said chestnut, I thought of Loukas T, the stallion Elisa Wallace has been riding recently. I think he is quite young so probably doesn’t check your other boxes as far as consistently producing anything, and I’m not even sure he stands to outside mares. Maybe one to keep an eye on for the future. https://www.facebook.com/brookhollowsporthorses/

Beau Balou sprang to mind for me too. I’ve been following him since he was a foal and he has two prime qualities that I really value. He’s got a lovely amateur-type brain and his offspring tend to be even better than him. The brain is the most important part Doesn’t matter how talented it is if 90% of the market can’t ride it.

1 Like

You might look at Cardinali. He competed with a YR as a stallion and has competed through Intermediate level eventing very successfully. He is known for producing very ammy friendly offspring.
http://americantrakehner.com/Stallions/app/detail_active.asp?HorseID=83138

While young, I would also consider American Dream. He is competing with is owner/breeder in eventing. I have seen him in person several times being ridden and up close in his stall. He is very fancy and just a labrador.
http://americantrakehner.com/Stallions/app/detail_active.asp?HorseID=91808

2 Likes

Bellisimo M, all the way! (That said, I have a very nice Vitalis younster who is so trainable and submissive and calm and super smart–I expect he will be easy to ride…but don’t know yet…but would definitely repeat Vitalis)

1 Like

I wouldn’t normally respond here, but it was a rainy day, and I was surfing the internet instead of cleaning the barn. I have Waps Rolls Royce, appaloosa sport horse stallion. His offspring are everything! From H/J, trail, field hunters etc. And ironically even though he is grulla, the last 2 years he has given most of us chestnut/red dun. Some with blankets some without. We are in PA. He’s 23, live cover is easiest, but we can collect and ship if we are kept in the loop. TY! Good Luck <3

1 Like