Unlimited access >

Looking for some different options to get a pinto buckskin/palomino WB... [Update, contract signed!]

Just be careful with crossing buckskin pintos because a perlino pinto will kind of defeat the exercise (will just look whitish).

2 Likes

Any double dilute will really minimize the look of any white markings, making them hard to impossible to see. But breeding a non-dilute to a DD will guarantee a single dilute

4 Likes

we have bought two bay colts from a breeder who breeds for color, these bays did not fit into their program but have been excellent sport horses, both have won world championships for us in the breed

Probably going to be an unpopular opinion but Creme De La Creme looks like a halter bred QH. Not my pick for a sport horse stallion. :face_with_monocle:

This most certainly does not look like a modern halter-bred QH, in any way, shape or form, other than maybe color

This is a modern winning, and winning-sire, Halter-bred QH. The difference is a total 180

5 Likes

Ok you missed the sarcasm in the exaggeration but that is the exact picture I saw when I googled him and wasn’t impressed. Sorry

To my knowledge she is. I believe she simply sold that APHA stallion and is still breeding with her TB studs.

1 Like

Crème de la crème is a nice stallion IMO and is at least in the top 10, I believe top 5 for Hunter breeding stallions in the US. I believe this is the second year in a row. I think he is a meaty stud but not at all nonfunctional like most halter horses. I just don’t believe he is homozygous for color.

1 Like

Um. Not one little bit like a real halter bred AQHA.
However, he does not present an elegant, scopey picture. His “cute”, and in my opinion sort of Cobby.

3 Likes

Since he’s a buckskin, by default he’s heterozygous for cream/creme.

Yes, he’s a compact-looking guy, not leggy, but at (allegedly) 16.2+, he’s not a small horse at all, he just does have a general pony look about him, which I personally find adorable :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Cute!

Here are some palomino WBs too:

1 Like

Thank you all for posting these beautiful buckskins/palominos!
As @JB said, though, breeding to a single dilute is a 50% chance of a single dilute or a 50% chance of no dilute. I know I can’t guarantee anything in breeding, but I’m trying to see if I can at least guarantee colour without compromising quality for now!

Is Sagar still around? I think he is? I love him not just as a stallion, but for what he puts on the ground. Really nice, kind, talented kids. Double dilute, so guaranteed color at least.

I have no idea but your comment reminded me of a thread I remembered seeing here… What happened to… was it Zaffron (sp?). It was some sort of palomino WB and the name was a play on Saffron. I think it was actually you who mentioned him at one point? Was a nice looking horse, good jumper - not something I expect when I see a palomino horse (sorry palomino fans!!).

1 Like

Zafferano :slight_smile: And yes, fantastic horse, out of a Bernstein mare, where Bernstein has had a great deal of influence in the SWB world. I don’t really know much about his sire Zaladin, other than HIS pedigree is also no slouch

The only reason there are some truly phenomenal colored/spotted WBs now, is that people started with the lower quality ones and made improvements very quickly. But the lower quality ones, being one of the firsts, got the most attention and started the stereotype which hasn’t change a lot in the last 20 years, despite the relative explosion of quality dilutes and spotted horses, partially due to the fact that more headway has been made overseas than in the US.
And even back in the heyday of the likes of Sempatico and Art Deco, the belief was that if it was spotted, it had some kind of (inferior) Paint blood in it, so people automatically assumed “less than” without actually evaluating the horse. And that mentality is still in place, especially in the US

2 Likes

I agree with this (also love Zafferano) and think there is a lot of quality WITH color now.

The challenge here, I think, is the need for a double dilute to guarantee the single dilute color. Many of the high quality single dilute WB stallions are not available to dilute mares, and the double dilute color is less desirable aesthetically to many people and as a result of those factors, you get fewer double dilutes of quality.

That said, I think Zafferano does have a double dilute son from before that restriction came into effect with his contract. I think he might be available through SES.

3 Likes

That’s it, thank you! Wonder if anyone has bred to him on this board? I really liked him. He could move AND jump.

I can see that stereotype being persistent. We do have to start somewhere, and breeding is all about starting from something and breeding “up”.

For a while in my area, Art Deco and a local son of Sempatico were popular in the early 2000s. They served a nice niche for our local AA population but I wouldn’t have called them UL prospects. I could see that impression sticking around in some social circles.

I don’t see pinto and automatically assume less talented, but I know I am guilty of thinking that about some other color combinations, like palomino and some DD colors. For a while here it really seemed like people were breeding for color over quality, and I still have not personally found a DD stallion I was absolutely in love with. I wonder what Zafferano’s DD son looks like, because I do really like Zafferano.

Horsetelex doesn’t list a DD son by him, though I’m not sure if any of the palomino sons are actually DD, I don’t honestly know their stance on “allowed” color designations. And a quick “zafferano double dilute son” doesn’t come up with anything LOL

1 Like

OP: Importing a baby is infinitely less risky than breeding. A vet check, a few phone calls to shipping agents, and a check for ~$7k will get him or her to your doorstep in a few weeks.

4 Likes

https://www.superiorequinesires.com/special-edition is the one I was thinking of, and it looks like he is listed as palomino on HT. Hippomundo does have him listed as cremello: https://www.hippomundo.com/en/pedigree/price-pedigree/1294460-special-edition I don’t know anything about him otherwise!

Also, it looks like a was mistaken about Zafferano not being available to dilute mares anymore, as I don’t see anything about that on his page. I must have been thinking about another stallion or it was a temporary addition to his contract at one stage. My apologies.

1 Like