Unlimited access >

Looking for some different options to get a pinto buckskin/palomino WB... [Update, contract signed!]

Thanks! He’s definitely a DD, I was suspicious that all of the D x D offspring that aren’t non-D, are listed as Pali LOL He’s only turning 6 this year, so any offspring of his won’t have done much, or anything yet, BUT with his damsire being Briar, and being linebred to Bernstein, he has to be, and produce, pretty well.

If I was going buckskin this guy is lovely and to me way more the modern sport horse type.

7 Likes

What about Nautical “The Horse with the Flying Tail”?

I believe he is available frozen.

Re: Zafferano - he can produce palomino, buckskin, bay and chestnut. No black. Wouldn’t be a color guarantee for OP. He’s a very nice stallion though.

Here is his cremello son, Special Edition:

@beowulf, I haven’t used Zafferano personally but know some breeders who have. He produces really nice, correct offspring with a nice jump. Here is a Zafferano x Londonderry cross bred by his owner, Sara:

Stonehouse Meadow Sport Horses also has a young cremello/w20 son of Zafferano - came across him pulling up the Londonderry cross. Looks like he is registered but not yet approved - will be interesting to see develop. He’s on FB.

4 Likes

Very true - my eye twitches whenever someone refers to a pinto as a “Paint”… They are not the same thing!!

Mind if I PM you? I’m certainly not at all opposed to looking into this, but I have no contacts over at the EU and am a little worried about getting fleeced buying something unseen…

:heart_eyes: Thank you for finding this guy!! Now to find a nice homozygous tobiano mare…

Sure!

oh, that’s just a whole 'nother level of lack of understanding, it doesn’t matter what breed someone looks at, if it’s got spots, it’s a Paint LOL

1 Like

It’s SO widespread though. It’s really unfortunate!
I have to say, though, I’m loving the discussion in this thread. I searched COTH for anything I could find on dilute/pinto sporthorses in this category and there were a LOT less options in the threads from years ago. Makes me hopeful that we’ll see more and more better bred pinto and dilute warmbloods on the scene in the future. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ohh, I just love that Londonderry one from the photo. I am not sure about how I feel about Special Edition after watching the video, I don’t like the musculature in his neck or how he moves compared to his sire.

Also, @weixiao - because I am a rube on a lot of things color, what’s the reasoning an SO would use to prohibit use of dilute mares? Just a personal preference, or is there a genetic disease/link I am not aware of when pairing DD to D?

1 Like

If it has spots (not Appaloosa) it IS a paint (with a small p), which is just a color and not a breed.

Usually, to reduce the chances of producing a double dilute son who might grow up to compete with the sire for mares. :confused:

2 Likes

It’s not an area I am at all knowledgeable about, to be honest. I don’t believe there are health problems associated with the cream gene (other than I guess pink skin sunburn risks? I’ve never had one with pink skin either though so I don’t know if that is a “thing” or not and it is just a guess!), unlike the silver dilute gene, for instance, but I’ve never been involved with color breeding and I could be mistaken. I’ve also heard, like Montanas_Girl, that the restriction is because the stallion owner wants to reduce the chance of a double-dilute stallion standing in competition to theirs in the future but I don’t have any first hand experience or insider knowledge.

Quasi-Gold was the stallion I was thinking of that had the restriction, not Zafferano. Finally came to me!

1 Like

The only reason I’ve ever seen from a DD SO is to prevent another DD stallion being produced to compete with the sire. Generally, I think that’s dumb, because that son brings in another mare line that makes that son more, or less appealing to quality breeders, color aside.

And no, there aren’t any health risks when it comes to the DDs, other than the increased potential for burning, and squamous cell carcinomas especially around the eyes, but those are also increased risks for any horse with that much pink skin.

There is no paint.
Paint is a breed.
Pinto is a pattern of non-App white beyond “normal” leg/face white.

9 Likes

Oh ick. That’s a very short term way of thinking. Where is the long-term sight in these situations, don’t you want more options available for an already small genetic pool? That’s a bummer. Thanks for educating me, guys. :smiley:

3 Likes

You have never heard the song “I Ride an Old Paint” which FAR preceded the very modern (1962) creation of the APHA as a breed?

The name of the color pattern was AREADY “paint”, which is why the founders of the “breed” chose to use that as their name.

1 Like

Yes. This is one of those nomenclature things where an existing term becomes a breed name or a trademark.

Pinto is the Spanish word for painted. Both words were in circulation in North America for the color patterns before the relatively recent creation of the Paint registry.

2 Likes

I just saw this pop up in a Facebook group. No personal info on the horse or seller, but thought I’d share based on the color.

Buckskin tobiano 2022 foal, 2023 palomino in utero from the same dam.

https://www.facebook.com/100000115845313/posts/pfbid02kUCCBpsNU5EUnrk2rhXpVkDJLPjMoBiiqUKUFjGEqC3DNP3RM3fnGJ1qYwimLzL7l/?

1 Like

That’s a really good-looking colt! And that '24 foal will be very nice, Parcival produces extremely well.

Scribbler, this is true for me too and one of the reasons why I have never been terribly crazy for paints, pintos or Appys, not that I don’t admire their striking coats…

It’s her choice. [edit] Why answer when you don’t help? You love to put people down.

OP, there are several farms that can help you with this.

1 Like