Unlimited access >

Looks like I might be the next kitten keeper. UPDATE #40-KITTEN PIC!

My sister feeds 2 female feral cats at her house, one fixed one not. She’s been unsuccessful at catching Josie, the unfixed one.
Well, today Josie shows up with 2 kittens. Sis calls me to see if she can catch them will I take them in since there really isn’t a good place in her house for them where they’d be away from her 2 cats.
Of course I agree. The upstairs in my house is set up like an apartment with a separate entrance so they wouldn’t be able to come into contact with my 2 cats.

Does anyone have any advice on trapping feral kittens? Mom is pretty trap wise and there is no garage/barn to lure them into and then trap from there. It’s just a small, unfenced urban yard.

Sorry for the crappy photo. It was taken thru the screen door since they ran when the door was opened.

15 Likes

Get a couple of havahart traps, put some wet food (or tuna, mackerel etc) on a paper plate and set the trap on top of it.

Best case you get all three in one or both the traps. My firend that I used to foster with also did tnr for local group and that’s what she did. It was successful.

I wouldn’t set the trap unless someone is there to move the trap. Its too hot to leave an animal in it all day.

6 Likes

Havaheart trap. Prop up the door so it won’t close and start feeding canned food near trap. Gradually move food closer to trap. When the cats are freely going in and out, set it to spring. Repeat as necessary.

10 Likes

Oh don’t get my hopes and my heart up for another kitten kindle!

(No help with trapping advice. Just finger crossed you can catch the two or all three)

4 Likes

Great advice here! And don’t be surprised when you catch a pissed off raccoon or possum one or more times, lol! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

10 Likes

Or a skunk . . .

6 Likes

Or the neighbors cat.

8 Likes

I can see the other feral she feeds getting caught, once.

She’s never seen any wild critters in her 'hood and they’ve lived there almost 20 years so hopefully that won’t be a problem.

1 Like

Kitten pictures!

2 Likes

If the kittens go in (or you put them in) mom will go in after them. Or you may have to drop trap them.
I had a wily mom that I caught that way. All her kids had been caught but not her until I set up a drop trap.

1 Like

Ooh! More kitties! Yes-- we need pictures!

2 Likes

Hope this works. Sorry it’s not really clear, taken thru the screen door.

16 Likes

Oh, they are adorable!!! Thank you for the picture!

Have you caught anything in the trap yet??

Had good ideas. The problem with kittens that small is 1- they are nursing and might not be attracted to solid food so they are hard to bait. 2- they might be too small to trigger the weight plate in a standard box trap.

A drop trap would be ideal, or try getting a small trap (like weasel or skunk size ) that a kitten would trigger. But I would vote for trapping mama first, then you might be able to just scoop up the kittens - they look quite young. You can use a regular box trap for her - maybe bait it with some KFC chicken.

4 Likes

I wish my pics-taken-through-my-screen-door were that clear! The kittens are lovely! And so is Mama Kitty.
Good luck to you all!

2 Likes

No traps have been set yet, Jen has been watching them to see where they go in the yard and thinks we’ll be able to hand catch them.
She’s working at getting an appointment for Josie, the mom, to get spayed and based on that date we’ll plan operation kitten grab. Hopefully all will be done in next few weeks.

8 Likes

I have very limited experience but:
I would try to catch and contain Mom & kittens asap. With each day those kittens will be harder to catch???

3 Likes

That’s what I told her. We might have to take the kittens and leave mom for later. Unfortunately we have no place to keep an adult feral cat contained.

As long as mom is getting fed every day I don’t think she’ll disappear.

Ask on Facebook or ask a feral cat group for a large dog crate. Somebody probably has one they will loan you or sell for a reasonable price.