Unlimited access >

Looks like I might be the next kitten keeper. UPDATE #40-KITTEN PIC!

I don’t have any experience trapping, but I have “hand caught” three adult cats and one kitten. My only piece of advice is don’t underestimate the kittens. Mine (appropriately named Kitten because I did not intend to keep him, so I did not name him and I did not like the name the vets picked) was both the hardest to catch and the hardest to socialize. The primary reason I still have him is that he was utterly feral and took forever to socialize, even though he was tiny and estimated to be only 7-8 weeks when I plucked him (after over an hour in a torrential storm) from a neighbor’s car engine.

ETA: he is a love bug now, but still VERY flighty.

3 Likes

The great kitten catch is happening on Friday afternoon. Fingers crossed we can catch the little buggers with a minimum of drama.

I have a small litter box with non clumping litter, some old sheets/blankets and shallow dishes.
For food there’s a bag of kitten chow and some canned kitten food. Jen reports they both chow down so that’s good.

Is there anything else I need? They’ll be staying in the upstairs bathroom so no pens are needed.

5 Likes

Have fun!

Do you have a cat carrier or two for transport/vet visits/a “safe space” in the bathroom (door comes off of my one I use for rescues and doubles as a den).

I like the cat toys on sticks for unsocialized cats and kittens. Helps me engage them without getting too close if they are scared or aggressive.

I always have a bottle of Rescue ( formerly Accel TB) to disinfect hard surfaces in case of ringworm. And old towels if they need a bath.

ETA: for single cats and kittens, I have always gotten plushy toys, but I have never had a litter before, so not sure that is necessary when they have each other to cuddle and play with!)

3 Likes

The litters I’ve fostered have always loved playing with plushy toys - definitely get them some that are big enough for them to wrap around and then kick-claw with their back legs.

3 Likes

I have tons of brand new toys from my two cats so they won’t lack for entertainment, lol!
One thing I thought of is a scratcher. Is there a type that’s better for kittens? I stay away from carpeted things for my cats so there is no confusion about what surfaces are for scratching.

2 Likes

Get one of the small corrugated cardboard box scratchers! Cats love them, even though you’ll be cleaning up bits of cardboard constantly. Ross and TJ Maxx usually have them for $5 or $6 around here.

You can go fancy: https://www.chewy.com/catit-lounge-scratcher-catnip/dp/49891

Or plain: https://www.chewy.com/midwest-catty-scratch-cat-scratcher/dp/108195

2 Likes

My two cats have those and love them. I probably have one in the closet right now, lol!

1 Like

Scratcher is a great idea, all kitties have their different preferences in material and orientation. I have one that won’t look at a cardboard scratcher, but uses his sisal rope tower all the time. Some won’t use horizontal, others don’t use vertical :woman_shrugging:t3: Cat logic - go figure.

2 Likes

You’ll be cleaning bits of everything, cardboard will just be another thing!

If they do turn out to be at the Very Feral stage, a cage will help with socialization, especially if there’s any nook or cranny they can hide in the bathroom like behind or in the toilet base or under the vanity. And yes, in the toilet base happened to me! (Pro tip: get every spare towel/blanket you have to block off those hidey holes).

1 Like

I got a sheet of cardboard to put around the radiator so they can’t get behind that. The way the toilet is, they can get behind it but it’s open all around it so it really doesn’t make a hiding place. There’s no open space under the vanity and there’s no closet, just a cabinet above the radiator.
I crawled around on the floor and searched for any little opening, hopefully I got everything.
I plan on putting down a couple kitten sized cardboard boxes so they’ll have someplace to run and hide in.

Thanks do much for all the advice. I promise pics when I’m able to get any.

2 Likes

Good luck on getting them caught.

I was shocked at how easily my kittens disappeared when there seemed no place to hide, almost like they can fit into any open space.

4 Likes

Yes! When I was fostering Dot and her sisters, I was in the kitchen and puzzled when they seemed to disappear literally under my feet. I got down on my hands and knees and discovered that there was a little tiny crevice in the baseboard between the sink and dishwasher that they’d squeezed into. I called it “The Kitty Fight Club”. I was very careful not to use the dishwasher when they were in their club.

5 Likes

Haha the ultimate in kitty hide-outs

3 Likes

It was pretty funny! One minute all three were there… the next minute they were gone!

3 Likes

Kittens would make excellent home inspectors - they find any nook or cranny!

6 Likes

Success!! We caught both kittens rather easily and quickly.

They’re currently hiding in a box in my upstairs bathroom. There’s food, canned and dry, water, a litter box and a couple toys.

I’m letting them calm down tonight then tomorrow I’ll try to get a better look at them. So far, they look good, clear eyes, no runny noses, no sneezing/coughing, etc.

Hopefully I’ll be able to get some pics too!

14 Likes

They are still at that age where they can be socialized. Food is a great motivator. And once they figure out you aren’t going to hurt them they will come around.

3 Likes

Yay!

Looking forward to seeing them :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Looking forward to kitten pictures!

1 Like

Here they are, “hiding” next to the toilet. The one with the white feet is a girl and is little. The all gray one is a boy and is huge! I refer to him as “Baby Huey”.

I did a purrito on them today to sex them and assess the flea situation. I found a couple bits of flea dirt but no fleas but they’ll still get a bath sooner than later. So glad they aren’t completely infested!

I was able to get right up on them to take the pic and they didn’t try to run, they could’ve run around the other side of the toilet, it’s open. I think that’s a step forward.

18 Likes