Unlimited access >

Lost my horse of 28 years - Sad update and good news

I had to put down my horse today, who I had had since he was born in 1992. A sudden, very bad colic.
Just devastated.

1 Like

So sorry Dinah. I put down my horse I’ve had since 1991 in April of last year. My heart goes out to you. I see and hear echoes of him around my farm every single day. Sending you a huge hug.

I condole with you on your loss. It is devastating.
No matter long we have a horse in our lives, it is never long enough.

Hugs to you.

2 Likes

Can you tell us about him ? I found it cathartic to share with others. If not now maybe later. Again I am so sorry for your loss.

4 Likes

Sorry for your loss. Nice to know you knew him his whole life.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry. Colic is the worst. I lost my horse to colic too (I had him for 19 years). It’s awful and so hard. Thinking of you. :heart:

3 Likes

I am sorry. I went through the same thing (I had my heart horse for 28 years) 23 years ago and I still miss him every day. He had never had colic before. It was a truly horrible day in my life.

Some horses live so long that we think they will last forever.

1 Like

I am so terribly sorry. I have lost old horses suddenly and it is devastating.

I had to make that call for a horse I bred and foaled and it sucked frog water through a dirty sock that I then used to cry into. He was 31 and doing great until the day he wasn’t. It was colic.

Big hugs.

1 Like

This is lovely :heart::heart:

4 Likes

I’m so sorry for your loss, I had my heart pony 28 years also. Lost to colic.

Losing one you’re known his entire life is especially hard. My heart goes out to you.

1 Like

Hugs and sympathy to you from Colorado. I’ve been there (as many of us have) and know how much it hurts. Hang in there, and be good to yourself.

1 Like

((hugs))

1 Like

So very sorry for your loss :frowning: I’m sure “devastated” doesn’t even begin to explain how you’re feeling.

1 Like

so sorry to hear about your loss. Your horse was so lucky to have had you all those years…hugs.

He was really happy and healthy until this morning. I really thought we had more time together. I had his mom until she was 34.
I retired this fall and was able to ride and spend lots of time with him, so that is a blessing.
I knew immediately when I saw him, the stable guy found him at am feeding, that it was bad. I walked him until the vet came and he kept leaning his head on me like he always did when he wanted a carrot or his face rubbed. I feel like he thought I could stop the pain so I did. Vet agreed it was best.

17 Likes

My condolences. It hurts so much to lose long time friends.

2 Likes

So very sorry for your loss. But glad you were able to be with him and give him comfort.

1 Like

I’m so sorry

1 Like

So sorry

1 Like