Unlimited access >

Lovestruck aka Violet Joy

Laurierace, no stallion suggestions but wanted to say she is lovely!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Balta’Czar (if the mare already has a hack-winning trot) or Cunningham. :slight_smile:

No, she definitely doesn’t have a hack winning trot. Not even a hunter trot anymore but that may be the product of her training and shoeing more than anything.
As an aside, if anyone local to MD has a mare they want to lease as a recip, hit me up.

Hmm, With her type it looks like Toronto could be a nice cross, but likely not the hack winner… I bred my R line mare to Checkmate and got two very nice babies. Both excellent movers and jump great. He might be worth considering.
I adore my Balta’Czar baby, he is a great riding horse but not a hack winner.
My Apiro filly never lost an under saddle, even in good company, but she got that movement from her mom more likely.
I like Cunningham a lot and would use him if I could get fresh.

Ditto. Really lovely.

Thank you for suggesting Amazing :slight_smile: He TRULY has a lap dog personality…you can see videos on his FB page of my nephews crawling all over him this Fall when they were here visiting. Laurierace-if you are in MD you are not too far away from us…he’s a giant fat furry pony right now, but we’d love to have you if you want to come meet him. The last people that came for a visit got treated to him holding his back leg up like a dog so his belly could be scratched!! LOL.

5 Likes

http://www.hilltopfarminc.com/stallion/vallado-aka-praise/

I am not sure he has the trot you want but he was shown by ammie and competed well in hunters and might be nearby to take a look?

Interesting suggestion, thank you. I love Hilltop too

1 Like

I bred a difficult to settle mare to him last year. Foal due in April. I’m hoping for an eventer…will likely get a Hunter (mare has done both). He’s a nice boy.

After talking with my repro vet last night we have made some decisions. Juliet will be bred and doing an embryo transfer at SBS because that is who she works the closest with. Cabardino is still on top of my list but haven’t decided 100% so far. Thanks for all your input, it was very appreciated.

3 Likes

:encouragement:

Laurierace, keep us posted on your final decision and how things progress :slight_smile:

My daughter and I are going to get to hack a Cabardino baby when we go to Wellington, I imagine that is going to seal the deal!

1 Like

I am not a breeder, nor have I ever met anyone from Hilltop. But, being the owner of a horse with DSLD/ESPA syndrome, and living through the heartbreak of having an incredible horse with no future and probably an early death, I believe that Hilltop is one of (if not, THE) only stallion farms to have checked their stallions for this. So I want to give them a shout-out for being a proactive, quality stallion station.

I realize that there are 1001 things to worry about when selecting a stallion, and DSLD is probably not high on the list. But that might be because it has been fairly recently determined to be hereditable.

And I know you want your foal to be winning everything for many, many years.

6 Likes

I flat-out worship my 'Dino baby.

Wondering, as I have been lurking this thread delighted to see Juliet looking for a BF, but had no insight to add until I saw this post… what has Hilltop done re: EPSA/DSLD? Did they test their stallion roster? Nuchal Ligament biopsy, or…? I admit I have been behind the loop the last few months, been busy with non-horse hobbies. Did I miss something?

I see one stallion in particular of theirs has been moved on and wondered is there a connection?

3 Likes

I’d love to suggest Gatsby. All of his get I’m familiar with have been puppy-dog personalities and all move like freaks! Jump extremely well also.
http://www.mountaincreeksporthorses.com/gatsby/

My second suggestion would be Cunningham. http://www.cunningham-stallion.com/

1 Like

Thoughts on Sandro Hit?

Google produced this, among other things…http://www.horsemagazine.com/thm/2018/02/sandro-hit/

Jessie Hillegas used Sandro Hit last year and has a darling colt now. You could reach out to her on FB

What I learned from this article: I would be a little gunshy about breeding to a horse that couldn’t jump if I were trying to produce a hunter or jumper.

Mind you, I know so little about warmblood breeding that I wouldn’t mind if you ignored me, but that bit of history really stuck out. :eek:

Also, have you tested Juliet for WFFS? That might affect your choice of stallions as well.

Back to lurking on the breeding forum…:smiley:

ETA: I love your mare, she is a beauty!

4 Likes