Unlimited access >

Lovestruck aka Violet Joy

Sandro Hit will pretty reliably refine on a mare - they are frequently taller with nice leg proportion. They can be narrow through the body which works well on some of the bigger, heavier, old fashioned mares. He was indeed jumper bred but was disasterous at it himself, though I have heard of S line horses ending up as hunters, namely by Sir Donnerhall.

I would perhaps look for other options if someone wanted something super scopey and of FEI showjumping capability, but he may be a decent option for someone looking to breed for a hunter with the right mare (and depending on goals). They have a varied reputation for brain and rideablity. The negatives are generally that they aren’t necessarily amateur friendly and can have poor work ethic. Some of the Sandro Hit sons are known for passing on “electric” temperaments (San Amour).

3 Likes

Thanks for the input. I am testing Juliet for WFFS as well as for whether she can have the black foal I would love to have or if she can have a chestnut foal that I don’t want.

Anyone have info on Rosenthal frozen? Not having much luck finding if it even exists let alone is viability.

Talk to Klaus or Larissa about Rosenthal, I’m sure they’ll be more than responsive.

1 Like

We had a stunning Rosenthal baby and I’m sure High Point has frozen. Mentioning him specifically because you mentioned black :slight_smile:

1 Like

Depending on what you want to do with her type and size - Carrico, Praise, Cabardino, Westporte, Cunningham and I’m impressed with Carrasca Z. All types that may work. Sandro Hits I’m not sure I’d put my Grandmother on right away. But he is a stunning specimen.

There is no Rosenthal frozen. That would also be QUITE the Rubinstein linebreed.

1 Like

Thank you for this info. This will only be my second ever warmblood foal so I am relying a lot on the input of other people in creating my lists. The final decision will be ran past two people who have been doing this for decades to make sure I don’t make any errors such as too much Rubenstein.

As an aside, the reason I am looking for hack winning movement in the sire as the most important feature aside from temperament is due to my physical limitations. I can no longer ride a big dressage trot without considerable pain but a daisy cutter is much more comfortable. My days of ever being completely pain free are definitely over but we can minimize it as much as possible by looking for this kind of movement.

I personally don’t mind seeing R replicated as long as it’s not right on top of each other - IIRC Redwine is a Rotspon son? So Juliet is already Rubinstein in the third generation. A foal out of her by a Rubinstein son would have him in the second and fourth generations… not too close for me.

With what you’ve shared about your physical limitations (pain) I would avoid the Sandro Hit/sons direction. They can work for hunters but there’s also a reason many of them are really well known as dressage sires: if the cross doesn’t work the way the breeder planned, you can end up with the exact opposite of what you’re looking for.

If you stay looking at “R” stallions, I believe Royal Prince has done relatively well with hunter offspring. Ragtime is also another option to research, possibly. Royal Prince is out of a Prince Thatchxx mare (by Rohdiamant, whose dam was by an AA stallion) so maybe not the pedigree if you want to add significant substance but OTOH, while his offspring do well in dressage it’s more from correct movement rather than flamboyant way of going. Both these stallions have been around a while so you could probably be able to find a number of offspring to research, maybe even out of mares of similar breeding to yours?

edit: I’m not crazy, Royal Prince was 5th in 2015 for leading hunter breeding sire. I wasn’t 100% sure if I had remembered that correctly. Ragtime was 2010,2011,2013 hunter breeding sire of the year… so maybe one you had already looked at but eliminated for one reason or another.

A totally off-the-wall suggestion since you mentioned Rosenthal and Sandro Hit… and a few suggestions so far have been ‘R’ stallions…

I might add Rocazino to your long list - at least to eyeball and see what your breeder friends think of him. He is a dressage stallion - but I have seen him in person many times as he is standing local to me, and he has good step and is a very correct mover. I could easily see his offspring being good lower level hunters because he has a very nice canter. His temperament is wonderful and I have been impressed with him and his offspring. All of his offspring I have seen are dressage horses, so he is not proven in terms of jump-- but if memory serves, I believe he scored very well on the jumping portion of his approvals…

And in the totally opposite direction… someone upthread mentioned Quite Easy and, I have to say he is another stallion I have been watching with interest. He has several very nice eventers local to me and is definitely proven in terms of jump.

3 Likes

Was it me? I loved our quite easy gelding to pieces and would love love love another one.

Take a look at Rohmeo, a stallion by Royal Prince x Lady Rubina/Lord Liberty G. He is approved GOV and AHS, and has great ridability. He also seems to have talent for jumping. His dam has jumping lines but her career was as a dressage horse. http://www.brightfuturesporthorse.com/stallionpages/rohmeo.html

I think so! I have really liked the QE horses I’ve met and handled.

1 Like

There’s a quite easy colt, coming yearling, I’ve been stalking since birth. Why am I so, so poor :lol:

Videos? We can commiserate on two things together - nice horses, and not being able to afford them!

1 Like

Oh also Chicardo and Nob Hill. I’ve not done a lot of research in Nob Hill but he may have that movement you desire. Some of the F line horses, who are more dressage bred, throw very comfortable gaits with a great mind. There are a few around.

No offense to his connections, but a lot of people have suggested Cunningham. What is the deal with his neck? I know stallions get cresty necks later in life sometimes but his seems extreme to me. Does he pass that neck on? I worry about the melanoma thing with a gray but that neck concerns me as well.

The Cunningham colt I referenced is quite refined. I have seen a few and have not noticed the neck. Perhaps those that know more than me could respond also. I will also make a final shout out for Crown Affair, especially considering what you said about your pain factor. My trainer who is working with my Crown Affair three year old constantly comments on how comfortable he is. He is also (fingers crossed all goes well) likely to be a hack winner.

I would caution against. Sandro Hit or Miss or Sandro Shit. It’s super up in the air with that one.

1 Like

Having seen Cassini in person, well, they just have this huge presence and neck and crest. An impressive animal. No doubt Cunningham has this neck & stallion crest. Knowing that I would not breed him to a mare with a super long neck because long necks are pretty but more difficult to ride. However when I was in Germany and spoke with breeders this is one of the reasons why you see C x Q line crosses (they mentioned some other lines as well). As a rider I appreciate this.

1 Like